Green Tractor Talk banner

Help! 825i vs 855D

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
I've got 20 acres, 9 of which is rolling pasture, the remaining are wooded with trails, descending a ridge. The trails are, in a few areas, a bit steep. Very much walking trails, but a bit steep for my lawn tractor (JD D155) to get up if it's wet. This is Montana.

My heart is with Diesels - I even have a Diesel Grand Cherokee. My gut tells me that the 855, with the added torque of the diesel is a better solution for the trails, along with reliability, etc. that goes with diesel.

However, my dealer locally keeps pushing the 825i, touting that it has more horsepower than the diesel 855D.

What's the bottom-line truth here? Which would I be happier with? I understand the diesel is noisier if you add a cab, but which is the overall better Gator?

Need your help on this - the finance dept. has finally signed off on this, and I need to act quickly. I understand I may have to wait a bit to get the diesel, but that's OK. I believe a 38R is in my future, but I have to take this a step at a time with the finance dept. I'm sure you all understand.....

Your thoughts and suggestions?

The Gunny

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never owned one of these but did a whole bunch of research recently about a possible purchase.

Like you, I am a diesel fanatic. Also, I always have at least 500 gallons of fuel on hand here at home. If I buy a gas engine machine now I will be hauling gas jugs which I hate.

One piece of advise which really stuck with me and was from a Deere technition - with a gas engine gator, if you don't run it enough to warm up the engine every time you use it, you will get an accumulation of gas in the crankcase - this gas in the crankcase would normally burn off when the engine is warmed up and working. I think he called it wash down.

With a diesel this is not an issue.

For my use there would be a lot of 2 minutes or less usage going between the house and barn, or just to the mailbox, etc. - for my use this would be a concern with a gas model.

#5 · (Edited)
test drive them both .. I did and went with the 825i ..I thought the 855D was a slow noisy dog compared to the 825i and I am almost all diesel equipment and vehicles otherwise...as far as hills go ..well It zips up hills that are only limited by traction.

.If I was going Diesel I would go Kubota though.. way better drive system (hydro-static) and Much nicer cab with climate control.. that is if you can get over the ugly clown car looks ..LOL

#8 ·
.If I was going Diesel I would go Kubota though.. way better drive system (hydro-static) and Much nicer cab with climate control.. that is if you can get over the ugly clown car looks ..LOL
I have to agree with this. The Kubota is the only one I know of with a real hydrostat trans and real hydraulic power steering, both of which I really like. But dang it is ugly, would make a train take a dirt road. :laugh:

#6 ·
Not going to be much help as I didn't look at the diesel very seriously when I went to purchase. I thought briefly about it as I love diesel and most everything I have is diesel. I bought mine to do a vast variety of things from hunting to work to just running around. Many different drivers at times so thought the gas would be more friendly. I didn't test drive the diesel but I have a buddy that has the diesel and it is slower and louder than my 825i. I have never had a lacked power with mine and can't image it not doing well on hills as it has more than enough power. I pulled fully loaded hay wagons with mine a few times(with caution) and it pulled them fine. My 2 cents, good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks, Guys!

Everybody's input seems to be along the lines of, "Diesel yes, but...." which is pretty much what I am also settling in to.

So I think I will not obsess (in this case) on the diesel 855D, and just go with the 825i. The extra horsepower seems to negate theoretical diesel torque advantages.......

i APPRECIATE ALL OF THE INPUT! thanks!

The Gunny

#11 ·
We have an older 850D and a newer 825i. Both have a poly windshield and roof (not cabs).

Perhaps they've improved the 855D but the diesel noise can become VERY irritating unless you're wearing hearing protection. Both have been exceptionally reliable little workhorses but I wouldn't buy another diesel unless the noise level is much lower. The 825i engine is very highly regarded based on my research- too bad it's from CHINA :banghead:

The 825i is significantly faster but we're using them for utility purposes so that's not a distinguishing factor in our case. Power Steering is a MUST HAVE in my opinion.

#12 ·
So I went with the 825i. As much affection as I have for diesel, NOBODY had any positive reasons to go diesel over the gas 825i!

Got what I think is an OK deal, given the apparent scarcity of Gators around. It's got the Deluxe cab (frame) with glass windshield and wiper (no doors) and dealer will throw in heater and installation, plus deliver at no charge. Also has the winch adapter/mount, but no winch. Got it for 17,500, and they will finance at 0% for 5 years.

Not a screamingly good deal, and it has bench seat (would have preferred buckets), but this will get it done, and Finance committee approves./ (VERY important factor, if I am to get that 38R someday!

Now the real expense starts - adding small but pricey "enhancements", plus getting the doors in October/November.

Thanks for all who shared their views and expertise! You are all a tremendously valuable resource!

The Gunny

#16 ·
My gut tells me that the 855, with the added torque of the diesel is a better solution for the trails, along with reliability, etc. that goes with diesel.
I see you have already bought the 825i, so I'll say this for people reading it in the future... the diesel DOES NOT have more torque than the 825i at ANY rpm. There is no "low end grunt" advantage to the 855D. It is literally a weaker engine at every rpm.

855D - 37 tq
825i - 47 tq

And it never drops below 40 lbs/ft at an RPM that the clutch will be engaged at.

Glad you decided to go with the 825i, by the way! Here's to outpulling diesel gators all day long! :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.