Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an S240. A few weeks ago, I was cutting the grass and hit a pine root and it stopped the mower cold. The blades ran rough for a few minutes and then settled down. I cut the llawn two more times without issues. This past Sat., I cut the lawn for about an hour. The deck shuddered hard and the blades stopped working. Once it cooled down, the blades will engage (rough) and run for a few seconds before they stop again. Is the PTO ruined? Is is something on the deck? What do I need to look for? I am a LOUSY mechanic, but it is going to be weeks before I can get someone to look at it. ANY and ALL good advice will be appreciated!!! THANKS!!

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
Well.... The good news is that your mower deck is driven by a belt. My *GUESS* is that you probably bent a blade and possibly a spindle. Those would explain the mower deck being "rough". If you bent one, it's out of balance.

The simplest starting point would be to remove the mower deck from the machine, flip it up and take a look at those blades. Once it's off you can also rotate the blades by hand and get a feel if the spindle is hanging up/bent.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Jim gave you sound advice. I had that happen once and after two more times mowing one of the blades broke in half. talk about running rough. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I got the deck off. Everything turns easily, but as one of the blades turns, there is a metal on metal scraping sound just under the pulley wheel through about 20 to 25% of the turn. Is that enough to cause the blades to stop turning altogether? As described above, they run rough for a few second and then quit. I realize that it doesn't take much at those speeds to really throw it off. I did not see any obvious/severe damage to either blade. Again, any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
So, I got the deck off. Everything turns easily, but as one of the blades turns, there is a metal on metal scraping sound just under the pulley wheel through about 20 to 25% of the turn. Is that enough to cause the blades to stop turning altogether? As described above, they run rough for a few second and then quit. I realize that it doesn't take much at those speeds to really throw it off. I did not see any obvious/severe damage to either blade. Again, any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!

Metal-on-metal scraping sounds are pretty much never a good thing. And yes, it could cause the blades to stop completely. Metal-on-metal friction at high speeds creates a lot of heat and the metal expands. If it expands enough, the friction builds but until the pulleys can't over-come the resistance created by the friction.

I'd disassemble that spindle and see if you can find where the metal-to-metal contact is being made. Odds are that either one or both of the pieces scraping are bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts