Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new first time owner I did a very stupid thing tonight. Using the poly cart behind my new x738 I turned a sharp corner and put a nice white crease in the cart because it rubbed up against the iMatch 3-point hitch. Luckily it didn’t puncture, but it is obviously weakened there and if I do it again will probably break through eventually.

Probably a stupid question..... but, is there any type of extension available? Or do I have to take the 3-point hitch off to use any pull behinds?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
hmmmm..yep.

Were gonna need a picture of this.....

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
The simple solution would probably be to mount a drawbar on your 3pt hitch and use that for towing the cart.

Got pics of your setup?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The simple solution would probably be to mount a drawbar on your 3pt hitch and use that for towing the cart.

Got pics of your setup?

I can get pictures tomorrow. It’s too dark now to get a decent one. Sorry. Didn’t even think of that. I will get both tractor and cart.

Thanks

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I like my setup.

My Dad gave me that metal piece years ago. It's been on a 425, 2210 and now my 1026R. It's a piece af metal with 2 holes in it to match the holes on the tractor. Never comes off until I buy a new tractor. Then it comes off and goes on the new one. It's just to easy to change to a different way.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like my setup.

My Dad gave me that metal piece years ago. It's been on a 425, 2210 and now my 1026R. It's a piece af metal with 2 holes in it to match the holes on the tractor. Never comes off until I buy a new tractor. Then it comes off and goes on the new one. It's just to easy to change to a different way.

Your setup is exactly what I was trying to describe for the OP. Pictures speak more than a 1000 words in print!!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My 650, poly cart, and quick hitch play nicely together,,

I always seem to turn that trailer rery sharp when I back it up,,
the trailer will swing REAL fast,,, :flag_of_truce:

The trailer drawbar would be easy to lengthen,,, :good2:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Battle scars

Mark,

Whenever I buy a new vehicle or piece of equipment, when I get the first scratch, I start to sleep easier at night!:banghead:

Seriously though, the easiest way is to either extend the drawbar, which will place it that much further from your 3PH or extend the hitch. If you extend the hitch, it will slow the cart down from turning quite so quickly. I extended the hitch on my cart to give me more room behind my MCS and it made it easier to back up because of the additional length compared to the length of the 420.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
It is amazing how many of the 17P carts were sold to 1-series owners without telling them it was nearly impossible for them to use it with their tractor. Our neighbor is one of them. He was all excited to get the cart only to discover it couldn't be used with his 1-series. I mean, it could be hooked to the drawbar and all, you just couldn't make any turns without it jack-knifing.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
I suspect it would be even easier to stop using the swinging drawbar entirely and mount a cross drawbar on the 3pt hitch itself and then use that. Probably cheaper too.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
I suspect it would be even easier to stop using the swinging drawbar entirely and mount a cross drawbar on the 3pt hitch itself and then use that. Probably cheaper too.
The only downside is that with no down force from the 3PH the tongue can raise up and auto-dump your load if the back of the cart is heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I posted a thread with lots of photos on using an extension to avoid conflict with the 3-pt and JD Quick Hitch. Please see link here.

Keane

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
:ttiwwp:]

:munch::munch:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I don't have a problem with my 18 cart but had to put an extension on for the hose during leaf collection. A couple of square stock welded together.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark,

Whenever I buy a new vehicle or piece of equipment, when I get the first scratch, I start to sleep easier at night!

Seriously though, the easiest way is to either extend the drawbar, which will place it that much further from your 3PH or extend the hitch. If you extend the hitch, it will slow the cart down from turning quite so quickly. I extended the hitch on my cart to give me more room behind my MCS and it made it easier to back up because of the additional length compared to the length of the 420.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Yeah, I have gotten a few already. I had to get towed out first time I tried to mow along the road.

New property, new tractor and a valuable lesson learned... 4 wheel drive on this x738 is awesome but it isn’t going to drive you out of a muddy culvert. Oh well, got to meet another one of the neighbors as he pulled me out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will get them as soon as I can get out of the house. First time I have been up since Saturday night. Damn flu knocked me on my butt.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi
1 - 19 of 19 Posts