Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to start my mower up to move it into its new home for the winter, and it will not start up- but instead is making a turning/grinding sound (see video) that I can't identify what the sound is, and what the problem might need to be to fix it. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm not an engine guy yet- but am getting there as I learn. (And sorry if this isn't the right forum for that- I saw this was a top search result and wanted to try here before I call somebody that's going to charge an arm and leg to come out to fix).

Thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
My guess is not enough juice in the battery to engage the starter.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it’s not the battery, then replace the starter. It sounds like the starter is engaging, but the teeth may be sheered off and not contacting the flywheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the battery not having enough amps to start. The starter is engaging but not enough power to turn the motor over.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If I were a John Deere sales person, the first thing I would ask the buyer... "do you know how a battery works?" From there, you ask how to use a battery charger, and why it is necessary to have one for any equipment that requires a battery to start the item.

Sir, you battery is losing it's voltage and don't have enough to turn the starter Bendix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were a John Deere sales person, the first thing I would ask the buyer... "do you know how a battery works?" From there, you ask how to use a battery charger, and why it is necessary to have one for any equipment that requires a battery to start the item.

Sir, you battery is losing it's voltage and don't have enough to turn the starter Bendix.
Thank you all. Will get a new battery and test it out. Happy Thanksgiving- hope everybody has some good turkey.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That sounds like a bad starter solenoid. The solenoid is an electro magnet that engages the bendix. The electric motor portion of the starter is functioning but the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That sounds like a bad starter solenoid. The solenoid is an electro magnet that engages the bendix. The electric motor portion of the starter is functioning but the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel.
This is what it sounds like to me. Starter motor spinning but not turning the flywheel.

Procedure to check this. Raise the hood.
Take a small hammer and hit the starter motor in different spots. You don't want to damage anything so start taping lightly. Give it some more elbow grease if needed. Some take more of a whack than others. Best results is usually achieved by trying to turn the engine over at the same time. This should cause the drive to engage and turn the flywheel. If this works the starter drive is your problem. Not sure if the drive is available separately. You might have to replace entire starter motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts