Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(yes I have a manual, no its not with me so I can’t just look it up, hence the post)

Here’s the back story first so the question becomes relevant. The tractor is a 1976 and has seen gentle use but over a lot of hours on dusty dirt roads. We first got this as a dead machine about a year ago and found that it was simply a stuck starter. The starter is a “refurbished” one but from JD. I took it out, cleaned it up and she ran/started like a beaut. Stored for the Maine winter and now it is doing the same thing: Spins but no “Clunk” of the gear coming out on the spindle to engage with the flywheel. Out comes that fatty starter again and I find it’s covered in loose grit and grime. Looks almost like dirt stuck to everything. Now, the dirt is oily but not soaked. I’ve cleaned up the starter again but wanted to figure out if there was a way to flush out the bell housing.

This flush idea may be a really bad idea but I’m sure this forum will let me know. I’m thinking that I can simply dump in some boiling hot water from where the starter mounts and it will liquify any dust, oil and grit. Then, it will ooze out the weep hole, in theory.

So, back to the question, I found a spot that looks like a weep hole but there seems to be a metal loop hanging out of it. (looks like a cotterpin head in shape) It spins about 15deg but won’t come out. Didn’t want to destroy it. If I move forward on the tractor underneath, there is a larger threaded hole that seems to go up into that same void. Its on the engine side of the bell housing though.

Love to hear some thoughts. The tractor has a cab on it so splitting it will happen someday but not for a while if I can help it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
That is a cotter pin. It's there to prevent "mud dobbers" from sealing the hole shut.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts