Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. I'm going after the rear axle seals on my 318 but step one is getting the brake hub off.. The large nuts in the centre of the rims are absolutely impossible to get off.. Are they right hand turn or something?.. Heavily lubed them up for 48hrs, used a 3ft pry bar and these nuts have not budged.. What gives?!..

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Golf12,

The nut should not be excessively tight, and it is a standard thread direction -- are you sure that you have bent the retainer tab up and out of the way? Here is the illustration from the TM1590 on removing the brake drum...see the comment on tab "A"

Auto part Vehicle brake Tool accessory Automotive brake part

Hope this helps.

Chuck

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chuck.. there doesn't seem to be a retaining tab like in the illustration.. Just the nut and a lock washer.. Nothing is corroded and I've bathed everything in WD40 for days now.. I cannot figure for the life of me why these nuts are on so darn tight.. They will not budge. Even with the brakes locked and the tires blocked with bricks the tractor isn't heavy enough to keep the wheel from spinning as I reef on this thing as hard as I can with a 3ft pry bar.. Gonna have to take it down the road to a local shop and see if they can spin it off with one of their guns.. Man, I'm off to a rough start with this project.. Ha!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Golf,that is very strange that they are that tight. Normally,when the washer is bent back away from the nut,it is barely above hand tight.
You're saying that your axle nut doesn't have any washer that looks like this pic? You can tell it's bent against the nut.
I take it the email finally went through.:thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Greg.. I'll have to post a pic of what I've got.. There is no washer that looks like the picture you posted.. Just looks like a thick black lock washer then the nut.. I am beyond confused.. As for that PDF.. I wasn't in the office thurs and friday this week so I haven't checked if it came through.. I'll let you know for sure next week.. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
74 Posts
OP, first thing I would do is get rid of that WD40, and get you some Kroil, or PB Blaster. If none of that is available, at least pour some ATF on there. Let that soak a while before getting ahold to it with tools. WD40 is good at displacing water, but stinks at breaking apart frozen metal parts.

Reactions: Franked

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
OP, first thing I would do is get rid of that WD40, and get you some Kroil, or PB Blaster. If none of that is available, at least pour some ATF on there. Let that soak a while before getting ahold to it with tools. WD40 is good at displacing water, but stinks at breaking apart frozen metal parts.
And there is always good old Coca Cola, which had never let me down in days past.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Greg.. I'll have to post a pic of what I've got.. There is no washer that looks like the picture you posted.. Just looks like a thick black lock washer then the nut.. I am beyond confused.. As for that PDF.. I wasn't in the office thurs and friday this week so I haven't checked if it came through.. I'll let you know for sure next week.. Thanks for your help guys!
If that's the case,it seems like the lockwasher is digging into the nut or the hub,or both! If it's a pretty beefy washer,that would for sure make it very difficult to loosen.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well.. the nuts are finally off!.. geeze what a pain in the arse.. good call on the PB blaster.. Oh, and the 20 gal compressor and impact gun I bought yesterday.. Always wanted one and this seemed like as good of a reason as any to suck it up and go buy one.. I also used fathers day as my get out of jail free card for buying an expensive tool, ha!.. Anyway, both sides look good and the hubs slid off very easily.. The left side where I have the leak is well saturated with hydro fluid inside the hub from the slow leak that has likely been there for some time.. Before I get elbows deep into replacing the seals, is this something a hack like me can do without removing the rear end from the tractor?.. Replacing the rear axle seals doesn't look all that complicated so I don't want to over think it, but certainly don't want to screw it up either.. Thanks guys..

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just did this on my '86 316, should be the same situation. I have some pics for you to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing my 330's axle seals. The right but came off fairly easily but the left took ratchet strapping the wheel to a post and using a 3/4" extendable ratchet with this 200lb shop gorilla on the business end to break it loose. But the old seal is out and just needs put back together , then repeat on the other side.

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.