Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got a little snow here this morning. Went out to plow as always and jacked up my plow. So I need some help at this point in troubleshooting.

The basics: It's the standard Deer 54" plow on my 2032R but I have it mounted on the Artillian fork frame. It still uses all of the QuickHitch parts with the exception of the lift cylinder. To use the angle function, I disconnect the loader curl lines at the SCV and connect the angle lines in their place.

So I was out plowing with the plow straight (not angled). I was pushing a mound of snow off the side of the driveway and the right-hand corner of the plow mashed into an iceberg. Instead of the plow tipping forward, the moldboard angled to the right. But after doing that, it won't angle back to the left. In playing with it, it would go farther to the right, but not swing back left. (The angle cylinder is on the left-hand side of the plow and is fully extended.)

I finished plowing with it like that and then parked it in the garage. I just went out and did some tinkering trying to narrow down my problem.

I disconnected the angle cylinder lines at the SCV and connected up the bucket curl lines as if I had the bucket on. I started up the machine and played with the controls. The loader curl function seems to work fine so I assume that means my SCV is good to go.

I reconnected the angle cylinder lines to the SCV again. Same problem with not swinging left. The angle cylinder won't retract.

I swapped the angle cylinder left/right lines at the SCV. No bueno. Same problem still. Blade is fully angled right and will not swing left. Both lines do "jump" when I move the SCV lever so they are getting pressurized. It just won't retract the cylinder.

As it turns out, the lift and angle cylinders are the exact same part. Since I'm not using my lift cylinder, I have it as a "spare part". My plan it to go out tomorrow and swap the cylinder itself and see if that fixes it.

So what am I missing here? Did I mess up the angle cylinder? Is there something else I should be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
HELP! Jacked up my 54" plow.

Jim, Any chance your quick hitch is bound up with a chunk of ice? Maybe remove the swing cylinder and make sure the blade will swing left to right. If it will you may have jammed the cylinder.

Last thing I'd check is the poppets on the swing hydraulic quick disconnects. One may have jammed due to the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Does this setup have a crossover relief valve?
Most likely not. The stock quick hitch uses a single, double-acting swing cylinder.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
Jim, Any chance your quick hitch is bound up with a chunk of ice? Maybe remove the swing cylinder and make sure the blade will swing left to right. If it will you may have jammed the cylinder.

Last thing I'd check is the poppets on the swing hydraulic quick disconnects. One may have jammed due to the impact.
:thumbup1gif:
I'd probably put the left side of the moldboard up against a tree, put pressure on it and try to angle the moldboard.

Could it be this? http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/17925-any-fix-bent-broken-angle-cylinder-fittings-54-plow.html

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have the exact same setup as you. It sounds like you may have blown the seal in the hydraulic cylinder, or you jammed it up tight against the wall with the cylinder piston. I bet you put the extra cylinder on it will work. If it does, you may want do want to do what someone else said here and see if you can jam the cylinder the opposite way and see if you can break it lose. If you break it lose and it still does not work I say you blew the seals and the piston is frozen at the top of the cylinder. That is one thing nice with artillian setup you gain an extra cylinder with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Jim,

If you find you've got a bad swing cylinder let me know. I have one on the shelf doing nothing. You can have it if it will get you going or you can replace it when you get around to it. It's new with hoses and quick connects. Just down the street in Littleton.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It is clear of any ice. When I got it in the garage I swept all the ice/snow out of it. There is a connection downstream in the lines with quick connects so maybe one of those jammed? I'll have to try disconnecting/reconnecting those tomorrow.

Does this setup have a crossover relief valve?
No. Booooooo!

:thumbup1gif:
I'd probably put the left side of the moldboard up against a tree, put pressure on it and try to angle the moldboard.

Could it be this? http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/17925-any-fix-bent-broken-angle-cylinder-fittings-54-plow.html
I pushed the left side of the blade up against a snow bank. The blade straightened out but then as soon as I backed up and took pressure off the blade it went back to angling to the right.

I'll have to check out that thread and see if I can learn anything that might help!

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim,

If you find you've got a bad swing cylinder let me know. I have one on the shelf doing nothing. You can have it if it will get you going or you can replace it when you get around to it. It's new with hoses and quick connects. Just down the street in Littleton.
Thanks for the offer. I have the spare cylinder so I'm good to go. I just didn't feel like doing it today out in the driveway with the sleet coming down. It's supposed to be sunny and 55 tomorrow. I'll wait! :laugh:

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
I'm willing to bet the cylinder is wrecked. The piston's in these are just pressed onto the rod.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm willing to bet the cylinder is wrecked. The piston's in these are just pressed onto the rod.
Booooooooooooo!

Well, I went out and replaced the cylinder. The other one works just fine so I'm back in business for Thursday's storm.

I'm going to play with the busted one tomorrow and see if I can revive it somehow. Not much hope for that buy ya never know.

Now that I've busted one, I kinda like having a spare on-hand. So I guess I'll be placing an order with GFP tonight.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Ive got a used one here if you want to save a few bucks. Its from a 425 and the hoses are bad.

It probably is toast if it over extended. If the seal is chunked it may only hold one direction.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Booooooooooooo!

Well, I went out and replaced the cylinder. The other one works just fine so I'm back in business for Thursday's storm.

I'm going to play with the busted one tomorrow and see if I can revive it somehow. Not much hope for that buy ya never know.

Now that I've busted one, I kinda like having a spare on-hand. So I guess I'll be placing an order with GFP tonight.
Jim
There's a good chance you snapped the end of the cylinder off inside from abruptly over extending it when you hit iceberg. The other end has a packing bolted to end. It allows fluid to push against it from inside to retract cylinder. Subsequently if you want to extend cylinder the fluid can still push against packing to extend it. The problem arises when you try to retract it.

I did the same thing to one of the grapple arm cylinders on this tree shear some years back. :hide::banghead:

034-vi.jpg

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Jim
There's a good chance you snapped the end of the cylinder off inside from abruptly over extending it when you hit iceberg. The other end has a packing bolted to end. It allows fluid to push against it from inside to retract cylinder. Subsequently if you want to extend cylinder the fluid can still push against packing to extend it. The problem arises when you try to retract it.

I did the same thing to one of the grapple arm cylinders on this tree shear some years back. :hide::banghead:

View attachment 310585
Its not my specialty so excuse the terminology, im just trying to learn. the pressure plate would move but was dislodged from the ram? This allowed it to push the rod out, but not retract it. Im assuming the plate moved but since the rod broke off it cant pull it back?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Its not my specialty so excuse the terminology, im just trying to learn. the pressure plate would move but was dislodged from the ram? This allowed it to push the rod out, but not retract it. Im assuming the plate moved but since the rod broke off it cant pull it back?

Lol
I think you got the picture.

An easy way to check is if you can push out the cylinder by hand after you try retracting it with hydraulics for a few seconds.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heh. Dead... as a door nail.

So yesterday when I swapped out the angle cylinder with my spare, I had hooked it up to the hydraulics to extend the piston to make it easier to mount. No problems, worked fine.

This morning I took the cylinder that I was having problems with and played with it. I removed the hydro lines and drained it. Once that was done I was able to push the piston in. GOOD!

So after I hooked all the hydro lines back onto the cylinder, I connected the lines back up to the tractor and fired the tractor up. I knew it was going to take a second to fill/bleed the cylinder of air and it did. And then a second after I engaged the SCV lever, there was a *POP* sound and the piston shot out of the cylinder, skidded across the driveway under the tractor and hydro fluid formed a puddle. :laugh:

Whatever had previously been attached to the bottom end of the piston is def broken off. So that thing is officially dead.

:kidw_truck_smiley:

And for anyone looking in the future, the part number for the cylinder itself is AM147210. Green Farm Parts wants $354.73 for it.

BUT... you can also buy the complete angling cylinder kit (which is the same cylinder PLUS all of the hoses and mounting hardware) under part number LVB24901. That costs $226.85.

GO FIGURE! If you buy the whole kit and get the new hoses with it you save $127.88! :dunno:

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
Heh. Dead... as a door nail.

So yesterday when I swapped out the angle cylinder with my spare, I had hooked it up to the hydraulics to extend the piston to make it easier to mount. No problems, worked fine.

This morning I took the cylinder that I was having problems with and played with it. I removed the hydro lines and drained it. Once that was done I was able to push the piston in. GOOD!

So after I hooked all the hydro lines back onto the cylinder, I connected the lines back up to the tractor and fired the tractor up. I knew it was going to take a second to fill/bleed the cylinder of air and it did. And then a second after I engaged the SCV lever, there was a *POP* sound and the piston shot out of the cylinder, skidded across the driveway under the tractor and hydro fluid formed a puddle. :laugh:

Whatever had previously been attached to the bottom end of the piston is def broken off. So that thing is officially dead.

:kidw_truck_smiley:

And for anyone looking in the future, the part number for the cylinder itself is AM147210. Green Farm Parts wants $354.73 for it.

BUT... you can also buy the complete angling cylinder kit (which is the same cylinder PLUS all of the hoses and mounting hardware) under part number LVB24901. That costs $226.85.

GO FIGURE! If you buy the whole kit and get the new hoses with it you save $127.88! :dunno:
Thank goodness you weren't in the path of that piston!

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank goodness you weren't in the path of that piston!
Heh. I didn't think about it a whole lot but something in the back of my head kinda said "DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF THAT THING!". So I had a piece of 2"x4" laying in the ground with the cylinder on that and my foot holding the cylinder in place pointing away from me.

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
Just to ensure proper terminology is used here, the rod is what flew out, the piston is still in the cylinder bore. Like I mentioned before, they are just pressed on-a very poor design unfortunately.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Sorry to hear about this damage, Jim. Glad you were able to get back up and running before the next storm.

Not that this necessarily applies to your case, but this is a perfect example of why our extension wings are made flexible of rubber rather than rigid and why we don't advocate using a wider blade on the Deere hitches. These factors would only exacerbate the likeliness of a problem like this.

While you are at it, you might want to inspect your hitch connection points to make sure nothing got bent. The 1000 series hitches are actually more robust than the 2000 series hitches, but it might be worth a quick check. Also, the hitch gets a lot more support being connected to our adapter than it does being connected to the tractor frame, so hopefully there are no issues.

Last, just to mention, there's almost no chance of repairing those cylinders. It's a real challenge not melting the rod seal upon rewelding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts