Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the newer style Powr-Trol on my JD 50 that I have been restoring over the past few years. Started taking the Powr-Trol apart the other day to clean and check it and have come to a show stopper. There is a release valve that resides in the case, and according to the SM-2011 manual, this can be pulled out using a magnetic pick-up tool. Tried that.... it does not budge. The manual also says - "Air pressure can also be used to an advantage." How does this work? I dont see a way to get air under the valve to force it up. The valve is apparently all the way down in the hole, which is about 2.5 inches down the cylinder that it operates in. I have soaked the top of the valve with PB blaster and tapped gently on top of the valve to try and free it, but it still wont move. Anyone out there run into this problem? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I've got the newer style Powr-Trol on my JD 50 that I have been restoring over the past few years. Started taking the Powr-Trol apart the other day to clean and check it and have come to a show stopper. There is a release valve that resides in the case, and according to the SM-2011 manual, this can be pulled out using a magnetic pick-up tool. Tried that.... it does not budge. The manual also says - "Air pressure can also be used to an advantage." How does this work? I dont see a way to get air under the valve to force it up. The valve is apparently all the way down in the hole, which is about 2.5 inches down the cylinder that it operates in. I have soaked the top of the valve with PB blaster and tapped gently on top of the valve to try and free it, but it still wont move. Anyone out there run into this problem? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
This? Item #32?

release.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it has a relief hold on the side. If so, can you get make some type of metal hook to catch in the hole for removing?
The valve is sitting below that hole... no way to snag the valve from the side or bottom. Only thing visible is the top of the valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YeeeeHaaww! Got that valve to come out finally, so you guys can stop losing sleep now over this... HA!

What I did... Let the top of the valve in the cylinder soak a couple more days in PB Blaster and also took a sharp
tip X-acto knife around the lip of the valve, as it looked like there was a bit of crud between the cylinder wall and
top of the valve. I also grabbed the biggest Neodymium magnet that I had that would fit down the cylinder, and glued
it to the end of a wood dowel. The combination of those efforts made it possible for the magnet to pull the valve out.
Life is good again.....:bigthumb:

Thanks for your comments and help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts