Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Im done swapping attachments and the drive over mowerd deck to mow my 2 acre lawn on the 1025r. I use the TLB too much and my time is of the essence. I want an alternate tractor to just mow the lawn and maybe put a snow plow on. I know all the LX, GX, X and older 200, 300 400+ are great. But am not familiar with the LT, D, E series. Wich ones of those are crap and the home depot type so i stay clear of them. Ive owned a LX176 and 170, and 112. I Want to up the 176. And stay around 2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I know what you mean. They say it takes 30 seconds, but taking off the other implements, or just mowing with them on can be a pain. Since owning my tractor, I’ve only mowed once without a loader or anything on it besides the mmm. My optimum workforce eventually will be upgrading to a 2 series and getting a used mower for the lawn. I’m in the same boat you’re in and don’t know which is the best. If I had a pile of money, I’d have a X758 or X590 to mow, but 2 grand you might look on Craigslist.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
A coworker was buying a new 2520 a few years back when he saw the price for the MMM he ended up spending the $2500 on a commercial eXmark zero turn that was traded in from a landscaper. In his case he knew the landscaper so he told him which one to buy but for the price of the MMM, he got a commercial zero turn that is way faster. With 2 acres, I would consider something like that over something like the box store LX or other small rider. Keep the 1025R for plowing and other TLB work.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If the snow plow is a “nice to have” but not absolutely required for the second machine, I would cast a second vote for getting a zero turn mower. I cut a 3 acre lawn and the time went from 3 hours on my 1025 to 1.5 hours on my 60” ZTR.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have a 2038R for tractor work and X758 for mowing around 2 to 3 acres. Could have went zero turn but I use my lawn tractor for pulling wagons and garden work, didn’t want to lose that. Just got my 2038 back from the dealer yesterday. I bent the loader stand taking off the loader. I had 2 months of warranty left or it would have cost me almost 500 dollars for a new stand and labor to pull the broken bolts. I agree, taking off your loader and mower deck all the time is a pain, but I also think it ups the odds of bending or breaking something. Now, if you have limited space, or limited money to put towards tractors, that’s a different story. One machine for everything fits a lot of people.

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I was considering a zero turn. But seeing that descent ones are close to 3K in my area im shying away from them. Plus you can only mow with them. My mowable grass area is probly closer to 1.5 acres since 2 is the total property. It took about 35 mins to mow with the 54” mmm. Also i would use the tractor for towing around my trailer and other yard work along with 1025r. I have a snow blower for the 1025 but when its a light snow or slush i usually have to swap to the bucket to scrape that stuff. Another tractor with a plow would be ideal.
I know the D series were Home Depot brands. But what about the LT and E? Id prefer a Kawasaki motor like the one my old LX had. No offense to anyone. I just want something better built to last.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also see ads for L and LA series. Are those box store too?

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I was considering a zero turn. But seeing that descent ones are close to 3K in my area im shying away from them. Plus you can only mow with them. My mowable grass area is probly closer to 1.5 acres since 2 is the total property. It took about 35 mins to mow with the 54” mmm. Also i would use the tractor for towing around my trailer and other yard work along with 1025r. I have a snow blower for the 1025 but when its a light snow or slush i usually have to swap to the bucket to scrape that stuff. Another tractor with a plow would be ideal.
I know the D series were Home Depot brands. But what about the LT and E? Id prefer a Kawasaki motor like the one my old LX had. No offense to anyone. I just want something better built to last.

The current E1xx machines are a continuation of the "Home Depot" level machines. I think that line started with the L1xx machines back in the early 2000s and continued with the G1xx. LA1xx, D1xx machines until the E1xx came out last year. The L1xx series ended in 2005 and the LA1xx series started in 2007. In between there they had one year (2006) where Deere released 1xx series machines that were just the 1XX numbering. No "L" or "D". They just had the 102/115/125/135/145/155 numbering.

The LT, GT and GX series machines came out in the 1990s into the early 2000s so there was overlap between the later LT/GT machines and the early L1xx machines. The LT/GT/GX machines would be more along the level of the current S240/X300 series machines. I *think* the LT series is what replaced the older LX series you are familiar with.

Reactions: glc and t2timmy

·
Registered
772 Posts

I don't think there is much difference between the D and E models except for the quick change oil filter system. And I noticed new models have side by side go pedals now. As far as "big box" goes, you do know your regular JD dealer sells the exact same models? There is no difference in quality.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have an LT160 that came from a JD dealer. The one thing I specifically recall is that the LT160 has a more robust frame than that of the comparable model JD available from Lowe's at the time. I can't recall the Lowe's exact model designation, but it wasn't an LT series.

Edit: The Lowe's model was a Sabre.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think there is much difference between the D and E models except for the quick change oil filter system. And I noticed new models have side by side go pedals now. As far as "big box" goes, you do know your regular JD dealer sells the exact same models? There is no difference in quality.
Ok thanks. Yes i do know that the Deere dealers sell the D and E too. I just want a more stout model.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The big box store machines are the same ones the dealers sell. I will tell you you'll get MUCH better support if you buy from your local dealer. Even though JD will do warranty work, they will put you on the back burner if it's a home depot machine. At least that's how it works around here.

It's my understanding these economy machines have light duty trans axles and are not designed for heavy towing. If you're just mowing and other light duty stuff it should be fine. A buddy of mine has a D160 and he likes it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

Not sure what type of trailer you are trying to pull around but you may be shocked at how limiting the small tractors are at that task. They can pull a small cart around but so can a zero turn. JD makes a hitch for the Z9xx machines anyhow, can't speak for the others. Neighbors have had these smaller machines and have tried to pull our trailer without much success unless they are completely empty.

As for plowing, again, I would lean toward the 1025R. You already have the quick hitch, you might need the pivot cylinder and blade. Now you have a front blade that can be used for dirt work, though I probably use my FEL more for that. You have a tractor with 4wd for plowing in snow. I plow all I can and only go blower when I absolutely can't push it anymore because it is to wet and deep. That is rare even here in MN. I have gone 4 years without using the blower. I can't speak that much for the process for the 1025 but to go from blower to blade or the other way on the X585, it is pretty darn quick. A pin to prevent the quick hitch from pivoting, a couple hydraulic lines for the chute control vs pivot cylinder, disconnect the front PTO and then pull the pins that connect it to the quick hitch. If I take my time it is maybe a 2 min change over. Never used one of the smaller machines for plowing but my neighbor bought a new X590. Granted we were new at it but it was kind of a PITA to remove the mower and put the blade on. The blade isn't hydraulic angling so that means you have to get off the tractor to angle it. It didn't appear to be able to put down pressure on the front blade however even if it could, I don't know if it had that much weight to do much. Keep in mind a X585 is before the renumbering so it lines up closer to a X738 than anything on the X5xx range today. I could see more of an argument against using the 1025 for plowing if you left the FEL on all winter but you are already taking it off and have the front quick hitch for the blower so you are already over half the way there for a much better machine for plowing than you will ever find with a smaller machine.

I tried doing the game where I use my ATV for plowing and leave the blower on the tractor. That lasted a couple snow falls and I gave up. The ATV just is way too limiting compared to the X for plowing.

Of course everyone has different needs but it were me, I would still look at a Zero Turn. Even a cheaper one. Yeah it can only mow. That is fine. They do it so much better. Need to move a trailer. I would go with Ken's 2" receiver on your FEL. It is so much easier to push a trailer from the front of the tractor.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks

Need to plow, as mentioned you are already pulling the FEL , just get a blade for your quick hitch and add the angling kit. Going between blower/blade is much faster than going blower to FEL. Saves wear and tear on the bucket since there is no wear bar like there is on a blade. Maybe you are using edge tamers though. Not sure.

It is up to you but that is what I would do.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The big box store machines are the same ones the dealers sell. I will tell you you'll get MUCH better support if you buy from your local dealer. Even though JD will do warranty work, they will put you on the back burner if it's a home depot machine. At least that's how it works around here.

It's my understanding these economy machines have light duty trans axles and are not designed for heavy towing. If you're just mowing and other light duty stuff it should be fine. A buddy of mine has a D160 and he likes it.
They are also sealed and not serviceable.

Reactions: 12dbsinad and glc

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
Hey guys. Im done swapping attachments and the drive over mowerd deck to mow my 2 acre lawn on the 1025r. I use the TLB too much and my time is of the essence. I want an alternate tractor to just mow the lawn and maybe put a snow plow on. I know all the LX, GX, X and older 200, 300 400+ are great. But am not familiar with the LT, D, E series. Wich ones of those are crap and the home depot type so i stay clear of them. Ive owned a LX176 and 170, and 112. I Want to up the 176. And stay around 2k.
I got tired of musical implements back in 1988.
I would suggest...

z335e_ztrakmower_Nov2018_r4f028881_1366x768_large_413802855abd30c418da6b4b5ca23b997585a562.jpg

...and leaving snow plowing duties to the 1025R.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I got tired of musical implements back in 1988.
I would suggest...

View attachment 705970

...and leaving snow plowing duties to the 1025R.
Yeah I agree. You don't need to go with a big Z9xx mower. They are great but even a small one would be the route I would go over a small tractor. I wanted a collection system which drove me up to a big one. I didn't want to put the mower and collection system on the X just for the fall cleanup. I also wanted to position myself to move up to a bigger tractor that may not have the ability (3025E).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All great ideas guys! I just like “tractors”. Lol. If i said trailer then my bad. I meant a lawn cart. I used my LX176 with snow blower and plow for over 10 years. Setup right with chains theyre perfectly capable. My driveway is pretty flat and not super huge and long. Maybe il put a plow on the 1025 in the future. We get a lot of tiny snow storms here and the 1025 is overkill for them. I havent completely ruled out a zero turn. I just know i would make use out of another lawn/garden tractor. I have an old 112 with a beat motor. I often wish it was running sometimes to do smaller jobs that the 1025 is overkill for.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
All great ideas guys! I just like “tractors”. Lol. If i said trailer then my bad. I meant a lawn cart. I used my LX176 with snow blower and plow for over 10 years. Setup right with chains theyre perfectly capable. My driveway is pretty flat and not super huge and long. Maybe il put a plow on the 1025 in the future. We get a lot of tiny snow storms here and the 1025 is overkill for them. I havent completely ruled out a zero turn. I just know i would make use out of another lawn/garden tractor. I have an old 112 with a beat motor. I often wish it was running sometimes to do smaller jobs that the 1025 is overkill for.
https://r2manufacturing.com/

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
If you want to plow with a 2wd garden tractor you need a lot of ballast. For $2000 a 425 is probably the best option. I would stick with a driveshaft tractor as the change from mowing to plowing is a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've always heard that if you want to do towing and ground engaging, look for a tractor that the wheels are bolted on instead of using a key. That will right away give a visual clue to the strength of the transaxle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts