Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My jd140h3 has a throne rod. A local machine shop has the cooler k321 out of a cub cadet for sale cheap.

Is it worth the 150 for that motor or should I just rebuild?

If I get that motor is it a direct bolt or what do I need to be concerned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the 140, BUT! The 140 used 2 different engines based on year/serial number. The '68. serial number up to 10,000 had a Kohler K301 12HP and the '69 and up, serial number 10,001 and up used the Kohler K321 14HP. I can't say if a 301 will bolt onto the frame for a 321, but someone will know! What is blown engine, 301 or 321? Bob

Reactions: brandansmoker

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe you will have to swap the oil pans because cub cadets used a different one. Also make sure the crank shaft is the correct size for your PTO clutch.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
It really depends on the year and model of the cub cadet. Many kohlers are setup for a starter generator, in order to swap that into a Deere you need to replace the flywheel and stator.

Other things to look at are the exhaust nipple, and the oil dipstick, on top of the crank and oil pan mentioned above.

You might have to use the voltage regulator that comes with a used engine, they are matched to to stator and flywheel by output. 10, 15 or 20 amps.

If you decide not to go with the cub cadet engine, one out of a JD 200 series with a 1 piece cradle is nearly drop in, the oil pan must be swapped, VR is the only maybe depending on the year of your 140

To use a 200 series with a 2 piece cradle you have to cut mounting tabs off the block on top of the oil an swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.