Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to buy/order a tractor within the next month or so, and need some help deciding on what to get. This would be my first real tractor - previously all I have is a lawn tractor. I keep bouncing around between 1025R, 2025R, 2032R, and 3033R.... Clearly I am lost, and I am a stereotypical paralysis by analysis type of person so these decisions take me a while.

The tasks I am looking to accomplish are as noted below. I'm not too concerned about getting each task done as fast as possible, just as long as the machine is actually capable of doing the tasks. Given the below tasks my thoughts on attachments/implements (though likely not all at once) are FEL, backhoe, land plane, box blade, snow push, forks - not sure on the rear blade. Then add in filling the rear tires, hydraulic top link for grading, and lights for night work (most often snow), and likely chains for snow. My tasks feel like they are a mix between being fine with a tiny machine, to really where a much larger machine would be optimal, so I'm looking for the jack of all trades that can do all of it, even if slowly on the bigger tasks. Money isn't a big problem on any of the machines listed, but I certainly prefer to spend less unless a 3 series is really what is needed to get the job done.

One time tasks...
Landscaping/earth moving in our yard, which would be flattening, moving small/mid sized rocks, adding loam, and land clearing. We have 3 VERY hilly and VERY rocky acres. Rocky is an understatement. Last year it took me 3.5 hours to dig holes for 2 rose bushes.

Working on a trail that runs around the perimeter of our property for walking with the kids and dogs.

Drainage improvement on property to prevent driveway wash out (driveway is 350' of all down hill)

Drainage improvement on private road to help prevent more wash out

Eventual small culvert replacement on private road (3-5 years)

Ongoing tasks...
Maintenance of 350' driveway (all on a hill). About 5000 sq ft of gravel with parking areas. This would be grading/gravel additions/snow removal (60-70" annual snowfall). Currently I clear snow with a 30" ariens platinum, works well, but still nearly a 45-60 minute activity every time it snows, which is when I'm working 70-90/hours a week.

Maintenance of 3/4 mile private road - this would primarily be grading and spreading gravel 1-2x a year. All my neighbors are 25-40 years my senior, so they provide the material, I provide the labor.

Trail maintenance on newly built trails, and occasional washout corrections on a few miles of trail that start on my driveway

Miscellaneous small landscaping tasks (mulch, planting)

So given the above... Which machine would you go with, and why? Which implements/options would you be considering, or what other information would you consider? Here to learn, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
655 Posts
OK, I'll be the one to say it.. go as big as you're willing to afford. I'd be looking at a 3R if you're planning on getting a BH. The rocky land will take all these small backhoes can give.

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
I'm in the large frame 2R or 3R camp for what you listed...if you are considering a cab then step up to the 3046R as the added horses help with the AC.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Agree with above. Sounds to me if you can afford what you want then 3 series would be a good fit for what you listed. Just the road and driveway amount is a lot of work.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All these votes for the 3R, trying to get me in trouble! Right now I have two big hesitations about going 3R - one is the size increase - for storage, moving around tighter landscaping, and the hilly terrain. The road I'm working on is fairly flat, but my driveway averages a 15 degree incline, some portions much steeper then that, some less - getting sideways on ice is a real concern. Chains will be a must, but stability is very important. It's been pointed out to me that the big frame 2Rs have a lower center of gravity and can do factory/dealer wheel spacers to push out the base further, add in wheel weights/filled tires and it seems it would be a very stable base.

The second is price, not so much that it isn't affordable - an extra $40-50/month certainly won't hurt my budget - but where I'm not too concerned if projects take a little extra time, and after my one time projects are done I'm anticipating 30-50 hours of annual use for my normal chores - spread over relatively smaller use, an increase in productivity doesn't buy me too much for the extra dollars. Plus... I like these projects so I don't mind more seat time. If (emphasize on "if") the 2032R can do everything I need, just a little slower, I think it could be the ticket.

Heading to the dealer this weekend to see what I can put my hands on, but keep the thoughts coming, definitely making me think through some items I haven't been aware of

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not the 2038R?

I changed my mind at the last minute and signed papers on a 2038R instead of the 2032R. The difference between models was around $1.800.

(2032R) 24.2 hp VS (2038R) 30.4 PTO power.

Edit: I started considering the 2025R at the begging and quickly realized that the 2032R could do everything the 2025R could do with more power and comfort.

And the 2038R has a turbo. SOLD!!!

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would say a 2025r would work for you but think a 2032r sounds like a good choice. Keep in mind there is no correct answer. A 1 series wouldn’t be a terrible choice nor would a 3 series. I see you spending 30k pretty easy if you get all other implements you want.

·
Registered
655 Posts
1 more thing, you joined the wrong forum if your intentions are to "save money"!

The members here will easily spend your dough, but, you'll meet some of the nicest and most helpful people on the internet in the process so it's a trade off :).

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not the 2038R?

I changed my mind at the last minute and signed papers on a 2038R instead of the 2032R. The difference between models was around $1.800.

(2032R) 24.2 hp VS (2038R) 30.4 PTO power.

Edit: I started considering the 2025R at the begging and quickly realized that the 2032R could do everything the 2025R could do with more power and comfort.

And the 2038R has a turbo. SOLD!!!
I did consider it (50% for being able to say "yeah it has a turbo" :p), and haven't ruled it out yet, but where I currently have no PTO implement plans, nor foresee any, I wasn't sure where I would see the benefit. Additionally, I plan on keeping this thing forever (I hope), so while probably irrational, the turbo is one more expensive part to be concerned about.

I would say a 2025r would work for you but think a 2032r sounds like a good choice. Keep in mind there is no correct answer. A 1 series wouldn’t be a terrible choice nor would a 3 series. I see you spending 30k pretty easy if you get all other implements you want.
Yes it is certainly getting up there in price! For us we have a relatively low mortgage, no other debt payments of any kind, and admittedly with a relatively solid income so I feel fairly comfortable with where the price will end up no matter which route I go. I agree the 2032R seems like a happy medium - it kind of sounds like all of them would do the job in some capacity, but this cuts it down the middle.

1 more thing, you joined the wrong forum if you're intentions are to "save money"!

The members here will easily spend your dough, but, you'll meet some of the nicest and most helpful people on the internet in the process so it's a trade off :).

Good luck!
I have noticed! We all feel comfortable spending each other's money, that's why we are all getting checks in the mail even if we didn't need it! Definitely seems like a good group, I'll stick around a while!

·
Registered
2015 5045e
30 Posts
I was recently in a similar predicament.

One of my variables was that I've got some large rock on the property. I ended up going with a used 5 series because of the rock, a heavier machine can deal with heavier objects.

I definitely got myself paralyzed with all the options on these new tractors. I was able to talk myself down with the logic that an older used tractor would teach me some things a newer one wouldn't. I don't have a self-leveling bucket, fancy transmission, or any of that. Just bare bones tractor that will learn me how to properly operate a tractor. Once I get to where I'm in maintenance mode I'll have a much better feeling of what I want vs what I need, and then I can buy myself a nice new tractor. Bonus there would be that I'll already have all the implements required from this pig.

Having been there, I'll go ahead and say that you might expand your thought and maybe save a few bucks and buy something older and used until you have enough experience to make the right decision.

Best of luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A couple more comments, I often say skip a backhoe, they are expensive and sit a lot. If you have the money, I’d say get one. Your rocky soil makes me say get one. Where I live I can dig a hole for a rose bush in less than 5 minutes. A backhoe will struggle with the rocks too but as you develop some skills it will work and it will save your back.

You sound like you are thinking once you get some projects done it will get used less. I think this will surprise you. I bought a Kubota 12 years ago without a end loader to mow with. A couple of months later I got an end loader to level an area for pool thinking I won’t use it much after that. I think it will surprise you how much you find uses for the tractor and end loader. I put about 100 hours a year on my tractor and roughly half of that using it for stuff other than mowing.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
First, welcome to GTT

For what you've listed I would scratch the 1 series off the list. Main reason simply being that the larger tractors will handle larger implement and cut your time down, which by the sound of it would be good for you. I have a 2038R and love it, it is a great machine that could easily handle your tasks. The only thing that would make the 2032/38R a better tractor would be the 3 range tranny offered on the 3R's, otherwise, they are a very good tractor. Ergonomically you cannot beat the large 2R's right now, I would consider a 3R, but only after they give them a much needed upgrade.
but where I currently have no PTO implement plans
If you can get the power to the ground and still maintain traction there is more than just more PTO HP with the 2038R. There is also 20% more torque, with loaded tires and wheel weights and the right choice in tire you will be able to pull more as well.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
You sound like you are thinking once you get some projects done it will get used less. I think this will surprise you. I bought a Kubota 12 years ago without a end loader to mow with. A couple of months later I got an end loader to level an area for pool thinking I won’t use it much after that. I think it will surprise you how much you find uses for the tractor and end loader. I put about 100 hours a year on my tractor and roughly half of that using it for stuff other than mowing.
I agree. The work only breeds more work once you find out what you can do. I would scratch off the 1 series as well and focus on the larger 2 series. They are comfortable and capable, big enough yet maneuverable although I am bias.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 1025r and after reading your post I would go right to the 3 series r models. I love mine but the next one will be a 3039r and no belly mower. Maintaining your driveway will be a chore for anything smaller, it’s not all about hp but weight also. I had my 5’ landscape rake stop my 1025r leveling out topsoil. A land plane or box blade is really going to work a smaller machine obviously depending on the size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts