Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen,
I've had my 3025E for about a year now, and my biggest frustration/pain in the rear is changing implements. It takes me WAY too long and is often way to difficult of a procedure. So I'm looking at a quick hitch setup. I know there are differing opinions, and I've read some/many of the threads already listed here, but I wanted to bring it up again and get opinions on my specific needs/uses. I'm trying to decide between the Pat's Quick Hitch setup and an iMatch type setup. So some info on my needs

Tractor - JD 3025E
Main used implements - 6' finish mower (land pride), 5' bush hog (not sure manufacturer off top of head), Ford post hole digger, 5' tiller (Bush Hog), 500 pound capacity spreader.

Desires: To make changing between implements less of a hassle/headache/backache. I really don't care about having to get off my tractor as almost everything I use has a PTO shaft I have to change anyway. Sure, I have a blade and a few other non-PTO items, but they are not used that often. Time saved, while a partial factor, isn't as important as just the back breaking job of trying to move implements by hand to get things lined up properly. I realize that with either system PTO shaft length may be an issue and may need addressed. My biggest concern with the iMatch type set up is the ability to modify all of my implements to fit. I am not a wielder so my modifications would need to be done other ways. For these reasons I'm leaning towards the Pat's, as I feel with my older equipment, and various brands, I have a much higher chance of everything working.

So I guess I'm asking for those that use the above type listed implements, does one style of QH work better than the other? Does it NOT work on some (I am 99% sure the iMatch type is useless with post hole diggers for example)?

Additional background: I have a small 15 acre farm that hadn't been ran as a farm for at least a decade when I bought it. So the uses for my tractor really changes day by day. One day I'm mowing my lawn, next day I need to build more fence and put posts in with the post hole digger, next day I'm bush hogging a field, etc. I find myself NOT doing some things or at least putting them off as I don't want to deal with unhooking and rehooking up implements. So something must be done. Thanks in advance for all advice and help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also saw this website. These look interesting too, though I can't find much about them. But I do kinda like the idea of the implements not being pushed out 3-4 inches. Of course the issue here will be if there is the room to get under the pins with the added inches in height. Has anyone used to tried these also? Welcome to CARTER AND SON'S TOOL AND DIE

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I am really pleased with the Pats quick hitch on the JD 4105

I have used it with two different rear finish mowers ,,
neither mower would work with the HF quick hitch

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
From what I’ve read PHD’s are an aberration within the realm of 3 pt equipment, none of them readily fit any QH so that may just be something that continues to aggravate you.

QH’s from JD’s iMatch to the occasional special at Rural King for $69 are all similar and will have some limitations with some attachments. Bushings and excellent top hook replacements from Kens Hooks (both JD and Import models) will rectify a lot of those issues so that many newer implements will work without modifying them-with some things or older models, getting them to mate to a QH just won’t be easy without modifications. Sometimes welding isn’t necessary though, drilling a new hole for a top link pin may work-it all depends on the implement.

As far as QH’s go-if your changing things that much you likely want one that is quality, easy to use, precise and repeatable and durable-I’d seriously suggest the JD or at least another decent brand name, the Chinese house brands (like mine from RK) work but you can tell they just aren’t the same and a JD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I’ve read PHD’s are an aberration within the realm of 3 pt equipment, none of them readily fit any QH so that may just be something that continues to aggravate you.

QH’s from JD’s iMatch to the occasional special at Rural King for $69 are all similar and will have some limitations with some attachments. Bushings and excellent top hook replacements from Kens Hooks (both JD and Import models) will rectify a lot of those issues so that many newer implements will work without modifying them-with some things or older models, getting them to mate to a QH just won’t be easy without modifications. Sometimes welding isn’t necessary though, drilling a new hole for a top link pin may work-it all depends on the implement.

As far as QH’s go-if your changing things that much you likely want one that is quality, easy to use, precise and repeatable and durable-I’d seriously suggest the JD or at least another decent brand name, the Chinese house brands (like mine from RK) work but you can tell they just aren’t the same and a JD.
Do you, or anyone else, know if the Pat's interfere with PHD? I don't think they would, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Do you, or anyone else, know if the Pat's interfere with PHD? I don't think they would, but I could be wrong.
Since they are lower link only they should work with PHD.

They show a PHD hooked up on the website.... greenwellmfg - Home

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. I completely missed that picture on their site. With the amount I use my phd, that may be the deciding factor right there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can’t comment on the Pats system, never used one and don’t know anyone who has... Hence why I didn’t include them in my response, they are a quick attachment system but. It in my eyes a Quick Hitch because they don’t tie in the top link...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Something like Patt’s is the best option if most of your equipment is not quick hitch compatible. But if your equipment is then a rigid system like JD’s is far better. With the rigid system I only have to get off the tractor to hook up a PTO. Otherwise I don’t leave the seat. It’s also really nice that it holds the top link so when I do activities like mowing without any 3-point hitch implement installed, my big hydraulic top link isn’t wanting to flop around. Ive use JD’s version of Patt’s on my family’s 6 series, and have a JQ quick hitch on my 2038r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight quick hitch on my 2305. 3 out of my 5 implements had the same distance from the lift pins to the top link attachment point. After some cutting and welding, I modified the 2 non compliant implements to work with the QH. After 2 back surgeries and continued back problems the qh is a huge advantage for me. The only time I need to get off the tractor is to hook up pto shaft on tiller. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M

·
Registered
438 Posts
Although I've always used Pat's quick hitch and like their flexibility with attachments, the sway chains on your lower draft arms might prove to be a PITA. My 3520 has a different type of stabilizer for the draft arms and they're quick and easy to adjust when you try to hook up to a non QH compatible piece of equipment.
Getting off the tractor for the top link isn't an issue for me.
Just a thought.:dunno:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not much to say to help you out brother, but I admire your desire to get the problem fixed. About all I can say is to start taking measurements and pictures. Get a handfull of pins and bushings and if you can make one thing work you'll have a pattern to get the other stuff in line with. That being said, if you want to keep all your stuff, it's very much worth it to get this done once and for all. Look on Craigslist for a mobile welder guy and explain that you need some implements resized to fit what you have now. Thus, he'll need a cut and weld setup, as well as some flat stock. You might save a bit if you can load up stuff and take it into town.

Reactions: forphase1

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The post hole diggers I've seen and the one I have eliminate the top link and hook right to tractor. There is no way to make quick hitch compatible. Always a PITA to hook up but I'm getting better with usage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

Thanks all for the help and insight. I just order my Pat's quick hitch, primarily for the reason of how much I use my PHD and my lack of wielding/cutting abilities. Perhaps on down the road when I'm doing less fence work and have a wielder in my garage I'll change to a solid type quick hitch. But I think for now the Pat's will at least make my job a bit easier, if not quite as easy as a solid system would do. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Thanks all for the help and insight. I just order my Pat's quick hitch, primarily for the reason of how much I use my PHD and my lack of wielding/cutting abilities. Perhaps on down the road when I'm doing less fence work and have a wielder in my garage I'll change to a solid type quick hitch. But I think for now the Pat's will at least make my job a bit easier, if not quite as easy as a solid system would do. Much appreciated!
If once you are done with the majority of your fence work and post hole digging you consider going to the solid type quick hitch which uses the top link, I would personally stick with the IMatch unit and I would certainly swap out the center hook from the OEM unit to the one sold by our own KBOH. Yes, the IMatch unit is pricier than others, but they work flawlessly. And pin the new center hook onto the Imatch instead of bolting it like it came from Deere as the pins provide a little wiggle room which is handy flexibility, which makes it work even easier.

There are plenty of places to get the adapter bushings you need for the IMatch other than through Deere and for much less money.

The quick hitch is a real back and labor saver for sure. It sounds like your Post Hole Digger is the main beneficiary of the Pat's system and most of the other implements would likely work with the IMatch, perhaps with some modifications.

The IMatch is about 70 pounds (if memory serves me.....) so it's not something you want to be taking on and off if you don't need to. Its best if you can get it on the machine and leave it, which is likely how 95% or more of the Imatch / Quick Hitch units are used. I know I have never taken my IMatch off and doubt I ever will.........I know I sure wouldn't want to be without it.:good2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, I should have done this a long time ago.

Installed my Pat's quick hitch today. Man, what a difference. Installation was a breeze, helped that I had watched some videos prior so I knew what to expect, and the included instructions were good. I then went and hooked up my tiller. So smooth and easy. Took so much less time and effort. I tilled up the garden for the last time, unhooking was again a breeze and then I went over to my 5' bush hog. Again, simply backed up, got off to adjust the width, and hooked up in less time than ever before. While I'm sure it's not as quick and easy as a solid quick hitch, like and iMatch, for my needs it's great. Also very pleased that so far both the tiller and bush hog PTO shafts were still long enough to work fine. We will see how other shafts are as time goes by.

I do have one question. What do ya'll do with the adjustment bar that goes between the arms when not in use? It's too long to fit into my arm rest box, and I'm thinking about just bungee cording it to a FEL arm, but not sure. I want it handy when needed, and due to my land and where I store my implements, they aren't all in one convenient place, so having it with me is needed I think. Just curious how others handled it. Thanks again for all the advice and input. Was very helpful!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had to trim the spacer bar (just the round bar side) by like two inches for this to work, but this is where I keep the telescoping spacer bar on mine. My 870 already had the extra hole in the lower arm, like it was meant for this. (I havent used that bar since I got telescoping stabilizer links from Mark Hodge)

Attachments

Reactions: forphase1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts