Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the market for a zero turn mower. I mow around 2-21/2 acres once a week. The area that I mow is not a well manicured lawn. It used to be a farm field that was roughly smoothed out when we build our house. I am currently mowing with my 3025E and rotary cutter, so ANY dedicated mower is going to be an upgrade.

What I want to do is make the right choice the first time. I know the saying goes "buy once, cry once" BUT I don't want to cry more than necessary.

I am basically down to 2 models: the Z530R and the Z915E. For the Z530R I was quoted $5995 out the door and for the Z915E $7850 out the door.

Is it worth the extra almost $2000 more for the Z915E? My dealer parked the two machines next to each other for me, and there is really no comparing the two from the standpoint of how beefy they are: the 915 clearly wins. However, will the Z530R be more than enough? Again, the area that I mow is kinda rough and a lot more green weeds that look decent when mowed weekly compared to a nice green lawn.

Please help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's been my experience that Zero turns ride WAY rougher than a tractor.

Maybe consider a 3PT finish mower?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
I cannot imagine anything riding rougher than a tractor with R4s. I've gone through the selection process and plan to buy a Ryobi battery zero turn, the 100 aH one. Don't need size so much as manueverability. Bigger than 48 inch (my bush hog) just won't fit on the trails. Do not want to go through having to keep a bunch of gasoline on hand. Only keep 3 gallons now for the walkbehinds and won't need them that much once I get the Ryobi. Can get an HD and supposedly a military veteran discount like at Lowes. Lowes has the Ego, but it is more expensive and does not have a mulcher closure, probably a more comfortable seat.

Wife says the old JD 14SB walkbehind must go. Probably can get $150 for it. Runs good, especially starts good.

Ralph

·
Registered
55 Posts
In your position, I would consider splitting the difference between the two models you listed and look at the Z740R. It comes with a full suspension seat.

Generally speaking, I would almost always choose the high end model of a lower series versus the low end model of a higher series. I hope that made sense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,804 Posts
IMO, 915E, no costly bells and whistles.
Better deck
Larger drive tires
Much better PTO clutch
Higher deck cutting height
Much better air filter system
More fuel tank capacity
Better warranty

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looking at the same exact models. Have a lot of obstacles to mow around at 2 locations. My place genuinely only needs mowed every 10 days. I got about 1.5 to mow each week. Not really wanting to hit the budget harder than necessary but I want this thing around a long time.

Did OP make decision ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In your position, I would consider splitting the difference between the two models you listed and look at the Z740R. It comes with a full suspension seat.

Generally speaking, I would almost always choose the high end model of a lower series versus the low end model of a higher series. I hope that made sense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I started looking into the 7's but they were a few thousand more than the 9's. My dealer said they can sell the 915E at the price point they do because they sell a TON of them. I don't see any reason to spend more for a "lesser" machine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the same exact models. Have a lot of obstacles to mow around at 2 locations. My place genuinely only needs mowed every 10 days. I got about 1.5 to mow each week. Not really wanting to hit the budget harder than necessary but I want this thing around a long time.

Did OP make decision ?
Yes, but somewhat changed my mind, and now have more thinking and research to do. I am pretty much sold on the Z500. I now might go with the M over the R, simply to save some money, but the better deck on the R is still a main draw for me. My dealer is going to have to find one for me either way, so I won't be able to sit on the two side by side and compare. I'm still leaning toward the Z530R.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, but somewhat changed my mind, and now have more thinking and research to do. I am pretty much sold on the Z500. I now might go with the M over the R, simply to save some money, but the better deck on the R is still a main draw for me. My dealer is going to have to find one for me either way, so I won't be able to sit on the two side by side and compare. I'm still leaning toward the Z530R.
That's what I'm looking at now. Went to dealer tonight and will be doing a 530r..........when I can find one.

If I plop 500$ down I will get one fresh off the truck....IN JULY.

Going tomorrow to check an independent dealer.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
That's what I'm looking at now. Went to dealer tonight and will be doing a 530r..........when I can find one.

If I plop 500$ down I will get one fresh off the truck....IN JULY.

Going tomorrow to check an independent dealer.
Have you considered used. There are a ton of used ones out there. I bought a used Z960R yesterday for thousands less than new. A 9 series is the way to go. A used 9 series will outlast a new lower model.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you considered used. There are a ton of used ones out there. I bought a used Z960R yesterday for thousands less than new. A 9 series is the way to go. A used 9 series will outlast a new lower model.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro
Highly considering but I have to pay more and most of them show the 700-1300 hour age they show on the clocks. I'll stick to new over going that route. Not a lot of z5's used.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look at where they were made, up north your golden, the one's from down south are made to compete with box store prices and not the same quality. Everyone seems to say the ride quality of a Z is worse, my 72in Toro Z is down right now and have been forced to use a 720 Deere with a 52in deck, aside from the fact I'm giving up deck size and taking almost 3 times longer the 720 is beating me up. Keep in mind your mowing faster so it will feel rougher, reality tells me different. Only complaint I don't have an answer for, can't drink a beer and mow.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Highly considering but I have to pay more and most of them show the 700-1300 hour age they show on the clocks. I'll stick to new over going that route. Not a lot of z5's used.
To show how much heavier built the 9 series are, my new to me Z760R weighs 1350#, whereas a Z530R weighs 834#. Also, the 9 series runs faster at 12 MPH max speed, whereas the 5 series runs 9 MPH. A quick search of tractorhouse.com shows several Z760R's for sale which is a discontinued model, although the Z760M is available new. They had a low of 351 hours and a high of 1926 hours with a $5,000 spread in price. A new one is in the neighborhood of $13,000. The 9 series are the commercial models.

I first looked at a 910A with a 48 inch deck, but the rear tires were so skinny to accommodate the 48 inch deck that it was a turn off. The deck just did not extend out far enough to be able to trim very well, even with the skinny tires. Then I found the 960R with 60 inch deck for nearly the same money. It has over 1300 hours on it, but I do not consider that to be a problem on a 9 series. However, I would not buy a lower model with that many hours. If I put a piece of tape over the hour meter and you mowed with it, you would be shocked to learn it had that many hours on it. The commercial models are a different animal.

Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dave; friend of mine that mows commercially with the 9 series tells me they start to bend push rods at 2500hrs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll take a look at online used. Haven't done that yet other than Deere dealership.

I am getting some info about a commercial husqvarna right now. I don't see them being used commercially local but the decks are heavier than Deere and better warranty with similar motors so I'm opening my mind up about them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the tag states it was built in Horicon Wis, then you got the best John Deere has to offer, ones made in Augusta Georgia or Greeneville Tennessee are of lesser quality, if you got one from a big box store chances it was made by MTD.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I am still trying to find the sticker with serial# on my Z760R.

Also still trying to find a download for the owners manual.

Dave

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
44 Posts
If the tag states it was built in Horicon Wis, then you got the best John Deere has to offer, ones made in Augusta Georgia or Greeneville Tennessee are of lesser quality, if you got one from a big box store chances it was made by MTD.
LMAO....rock on my man.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts