Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 John Deere 2038R, 2013 John Deere X750, 1994 John Deere 455
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll take my lumps if this is being posted in the wrong seciton.

I am looking at buying a used 2012 X740 Garden Tractor from a dealer. All the information I looked at on the site and emails exchanged with the sales person did not state that the hour meter did not work. After some time of going back and forth with questions I was ready to do the paperwork as the unit it self is a 3.5 hour drive for me. Today I find out the meter has not been reading. Does anyone know if there is another way to measure engine hour other than the meter? Is there a way to read the hours using the JD app possibly? I don't want to buy a nightmare. Or if anyone has any advice on things I might be able to do other than just walk away. Thanks Everyone.

:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope. The only thing you might do is ask for any service records and maybe figure out when the hour meter quit working. Then extrapolate from there.

Mike in Okla

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. The only thing you might do is ask for any service records and maybe figure out when the hour meter quit working. Then extrapolate from there.

Mike in Okla
Thank You Mike. This is the exact quote... "As far as the hours, the customer purchased this unit from us with a work tachometer. He purchased it new from us I believe and we did the math of how much he mowed etc. and it came out to right around the 325 mark. I believe he had a small tiller on the back… no hard use.. says its in good condition.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For what it's worth............My X-590 just crossed 200 hours. I have a little over 1-acre to mow and it takes 1 hour. But I also have a pull cart, a de-thatcher, an aerator, a pull sprayer and a fertilizer spreader. I'd bet 1/2 of those hours were not mowing. Probably running at low rpm and the deck not engaged.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
My rule of thumb per my use is 50 hours/year. So I would consider it to have 500 hours.
Serial number search should show any dealer service/warranty work with date/hours. Worth asking the dealer to check. But don't be surprised if it was never taken to a dealer for service/warranty work.

I write the hours and date on the oil filter every time I change oil. You might find the former owner did the same. Maybe only the date with hours not showing.

Finally, if you can have the cluster repaired, hours may be stored, just not showing, and will be there when the cluster is repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I would update those who replied if they are interested. I did not end up going with the x740 I was speaking of in my original post. Instead I was able to work out a different deal with the same sales person same store on a 2013 x750 with 960 hours. I got the unit this last Saturday 10-2-2021. It was a clean unit with normal wear and tear. Overall I am happy with the outcome!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Deal is done now, but you could have asked for the previous owners info and called them. Sounds crazy, but this actually happens a lot, especially for units that are traded in to the same dealer they were originally purchased from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.