Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
4,919 Posts
There’s a couple of threads on here on how to deal with mice. We use a mix of traps and poison. Dryer sheets and soap bars. It’s a never ending battle to keep mice and squirrels out of our equipment and vehicles.

· Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks, RedRock quick hitch
410 Posts
We use a mix of traps and poison. Dryer sheets and soap bars.
Traps and poison works, dryer sheets and soap bars don't. Those rodents will go through sewers, it's not the nice smell of soap or dryer sheets that will stop them. Check these tests:
Does Irish Spring Soap Repel Rodents? Mouse Mythbusters. - YouTube
Do Dryer Sheets Repel Mice & Rats? Mousetrap Monday - YouTube

For traps, the 2 that I find work the best and cheap are based on a bucket.

First one, put a small steel rod across the top with an empty beer can on it with peanut butter on the can. Make a ramp so they can get up there. They roll on the can and fall in the bucket. Put 6" of water in the bucket so they drown. Demo: How to catch mice with a pop can and a coat hanger. DIY Mousetrap. Mousetrap Monday - YouTube

Second one is a bucket with water to about 6" from the top, with black oil sunflower seed put on top of the water. Those seeds float, so it looks like a bucket full of seed, but it's not. Again, a ramp so they can get up there and jump in the bucket. Demo: Does The Quicksand Mouse Trap Actually Work? - YouTube

Last fall, I cought 17 using these 2 methods.

Check Shawn Woods on YouTube, he tries all sorts of traps:
Shawn Woods - YouTube

His favourite is the Flip n Slide: RinneTraps® | Flip N Slide Mouse Trap | USA |

· Registered
214 Posts
Ive used Dryer sheets in all my summer vehicles or vehicles and equipment that gets stored summer or winter and the only time Ive got mice in them is if its a spot where I forgot to put sheets. I find the actual bounce brand with the strongest smelling to work the best

I also use the plug in ultrasonic repellers and they kind of help

· Registered
1,493 Posts
In stead of water, I use leftover automotive anti-freeze in my bucket traps, where I keep my equipment, it freezes and solid ice in the bucket dosen't kill them. I tried RV Anti-freeze and when it was down in the single digits, I had to get something out of my motor home which I had a bucket trap in and the anti-freeze was almost solid slush. There were mouse turds on top of the slush, but no mouse. When I change the Anti-freeze in my equipment, I keep the used just for the bucket traps. Last year, I had to replace one of my buckets as it cracked and the Anti-freeze leaked out, I now keep the buckets in a shallow pan to prevent future issues with leaking anti-freeze. I also keep the critters well fed with Tom Cat bait. I place a couple pieces on either side of the barn sliding doors and other entrance places so it is the first sign of welcome I give them. A bucket lasts several years.

· Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks, RedRock quick hitch
410 Posts
Yes @Sundancer268, I have used RV antifreeze for the winter. It gets slushy like you said. Ice doesn't drown them, but lack of food does. Even an empty bucket works, but they smell less if in liquid.

· Registered
410 Posts
Best thing about any type of bucket traps is that it can catch multiple mice without the need to be reset unlike traditional snap mouse traps. I still use the traditional in tight quarters.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

· Registered
76 Posts
I keep getting mice building a nest under an opening below the steering column. Been lucky so far they haven't chewed up anything but..... Any thoughts on how to keep them out? Thanks
The repetitive problem means that you have a lingering odor. Mice are like dogs in that they will mark a territory. When a mouse is sniffing around your property all they have to do is follow the urine trail (mice pee as they move). There is a trail that leads to your equipment and a smell of nesting in the equipment. Wash out the smells.
Use a hand held black light to follow the urine trails and choose your method of population control.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
I setup a bucket trap with peanut butter in the farm house basement. Been going on ten (10) years and NEVER caught a mouse. The old VICTOR trap works the best but it needs to be tied down or it may get carried away. Tried dryer sheets, moth balls, soap, and Cab Fresh....nothing! I place Tomcat bait blocks in the shed. So far so good.

Reactions: sjjd

· Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
597 Posts
Also use Bait Chunx poison. Every few weeks I go out and re-distribute it. Some of it’s gone. Some of it’s gnawed on, some untouched. Been here 20 years and never had a mouse problem. But I don’t have any food sources here so this isnt an attractive place for rodents. It’s a much harder problem to manage with grains or other livestock feed, even pet foods.

· Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
5,233 Posts
Mice supposedly like it dark. I keep my hood open and put an LED workight on top of the engine. Haven't had any problems in just over 2 years since I got the tractor.

· Registered
70 Posts
That YT channel by Shawn Woods that sjjd linked a couple of videos from is a good resource on finding the most effective traps, and what works best in different situations.

· Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,679 Posts
Here's my method of mouse control and its very effective....Plus she is cute.....and has beautiful eyes......She is a Bombay Kitty, or so she says.............Her name is Keema.........as a result of her very effective mouse work, she has a custom built, insulated and heated cedar house with porches, decks and even a guest house......

Cat Small animal food Felidae Carnivore Cat food

· Premium Member
11,530 Posts

· Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,679 Posts
Just like Motel 6, Keema can leave the light on.......for when she needs to work at night...Those are 12v LED lights which are motion activated and they are mounted in the overhang on her homes front and rear porches......

Window Wood Building Rectangle Gas

1 - 20 of 55 Posts