Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I drove over 900 miles this weekend to pickup a hydraulic tiller. The guy who was selling it didn’t know what it went under. I’m guessing it was a x500 series or x700 series. Anyway I have a jd 318, with a front end loader, that I want to mount this under to work in garden with and also add weight. Well today I was looking on YouTube at peoples 318 with 42 hydraulic tillers, then it occurred to me, my x390 has the same frame as a x500. So would it work? Maybe. It should fit, but my transmission isn’t strong enough. I bought the x390 because it had power steering and was the only one in the 300 series that has a filter on the transmission. Well like I said, the transmission isn’t strong enough nor do I want to void the warranty. So today while sitting in the garage, another thought come to me! What about my s2048 ( not the smaller L series). Well to my surprise it actually fit and worked! I have a k66 transmission under it. So that should be strong enough to pull it. Well after sliding it under the Scott’s it fit perfectly! But and heres a big but. The lift arm isn’t strong enough to lift it in my opinion. I can lift it but as hard as it is I’m afraid it will bend or break something.
now after all that. Does anyone have any pictures of a 42 inch hydraulic tiller mounted to a 318? I have an idea on how to do it but I’m always open to new ideas.

here is a picture showing how it lined up with the existing deck bolt holes

And here is my 318 that the tiller is going to go behind. I let a friend borrow it to lay river rock around their flowerbed. It broke my trailer unloading it, so I used that as my excuse to buy a new one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and before anyone fusses about the Scott’s not being strong enough, that was me just being curious to see if it “would” fit. It has to go behind the 318 because I need the weight!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I do to convert 42" hydraulic tillers to work on the 318. Your going to need the rear 2000 rpm PTO and three point hitch. I build a bracket for the hydraulic pump. Make the three point frame for the tiller. It’s not the cheapest way to do it
well I don’t mind doing that if I needed to, but I already have the pump that came with the tiller, and after more research I think what I need now is the brackets that attached to the rock shaft that will lift the tiller. Also I will need to make some brackets to hold the front end of the tiller were the pump is. I already have the bracket that holds the rear mount for the tiller(it also attaches the mc519).

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
The shaft on the rear end is 3600 rpm, the tiller needs 2000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts