Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have been enjoying reading all the info on here. I just bought a Log home that is on 20 acres with a 3car garage and pole barn. I only have about 1 & 1/ 2 acres max to mow and currently have a GX345 that I use for mowing. I plan on ordering a 2520 on Tuesday, with a 200 CX loader, with a 53" bucket, 62D MMM, Rimguard in tires, for $20026.00 delivered total. I was ready to pull the trigger when I just came across a 2007 2305 with a 62 inch MM and a 2ooCX loader with 500 hours for about $10,500 and he is willing to take a trade on a 345 so I might be out of pocket $7000 total for the 2305. With 0% financing the 2520 will be about $400 month for 48 mths with zero down.
I have lots of rocks and boulders to move, want to re-grade the area around the house and plant new lawn, have a ton of tree tops that need to be pulled, cut up, hauled, split ect. Stumps to pull...ect. Would love to hear any opinions on what you would do in my shoes...400 mth versus$7000 out of pocket is part of the equation.
Thanks!
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
:wgtt:

Gary,

Thats a tough choice. The 2305 is also a nice tractor. The issue you are looking at IMHO, is how fast do you want to complete the tasks at hand. The 2520 will have more power amd also faster and stronget hydraulics. But that does not mean the job cannot be done with the 2305, but it does mean the job might take slightly longer.

The 2520 will have more ammenities and a warranty. Is that worth 10K?

Good luck with your decision and please let us know what you decide. Maybe we could also get picture of your new tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Having owned a 2305 in the past. I currently have a 2720. The 2720 is a 2520 with more horse power. The 2305 & 2520 both have their good & bad points.
The 2305 is a great mower, but is get by loader tractor. As Brian said, it is very slow. The 2520 is a good mower if you do not have a lot of tight places to get into & it is a very good loader tractor. Have you priced the 1026R? The 1026R is a much updated 2305, it will be several thousand dollars less than the 2520 & has 0% for 60 months until the end of May.
You might also check out the 2320. I owned on of those also. It is a step up from the 2305/1026R, but still not close to the 2520/2720.

You can always put the $7,000 as a down payment towards a new tractor. That would lower the payments.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am not sure if I am helping your decision but thought I would add this bit of data. I purchased a 2305 last year this time. Came with 62C MMM w/mulch kit and independent lift, 200CX loader, beet juice in the tires, chains, homemade ballast box, and 425 hours on clock. I paid $8500. That price seems kind of high to me. With all of the new stuff on the 1026R, I would really question that price on a 500 hour 2305.

Good luck with your decision.

Lee

·
Registered
554 Posts
You are not compairing apples for apples here:unknown:. I had a 1026R and loved it :kidw_truck_smiley:, but it was not a 2520. :read If you can get by with a 2305 then you really should look at the 1026R :thumbup1gif: and if you are anywhere near Michigan( hint up date profile) I know where there is a good deal on a 2011 1026R and a bunch of implements to go with it. :drinks:

Reactions: garymulti

·
Registered
132 Posts
I second the look at the 1026R. I have 3 acres, mostly open ground, with surrounding tree lines on 2 sides which I am cleaning out. I really like the size of the 1026R and the power of the machine is on par with the 2720 for horsepower, but the difference is ground clearance. On my relatively flat ground, I have no trouble with it, but if I had rocky outcrops to roll over, I would choose a bigger tractor. Stumps may also pose a problem if you are bush hogging and don't know the ground.

Price wise, I got my 1026R, with H120 loader, 60" Deck (independent lift, and autoconnect PTO, and 260 backhoe for a little over $20k. I cannot beat the capability of that machine for the price of any other model we looked at. Certainly the loader capacity is not on par with the bigger 2x20 tractors, but like was said, if you plan your work out, you can tackle anything with just a bit more time. Besides, I like being in the seat. It really is amazing what one of these smaller tractors can do. I really thought I was buying an oversized lawnmower based on what my family (who has Kubota everything) said. I was told that unless it was 3k lb tractor and 35+ horsepower, that I wouldn't be happy. Well, they were wrong and my tractor still fits in the garage.. with the backhoe :laugh:

After driving the Kubota (BX2660) and comparing it apples to apples with the 1026R, there was really no power on that Kubota doing trivial tasks. That is why they said get the bigger tractor. I didn't need a bigger tractor, I got a better one.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That price you were quoted for the 2520 seems a little high to me. I paid about 1000.00 more for mine,but I got a backhoe instead of the mmm. I believe there is more than 3000.0 difference between the BH and MMM. If I remember correctly,I was quoted around 18000 for the same package you were quoted on. But....I didnt have to pay state sales tax and mine is a little over a year old now....I'm sure there have been price increases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys! I will definitely take a look at the 1026R. I just assumed the 1 series were not comparable to the 2's.
Gary

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
Go look at a 1 series tractor

The 1 series is very capable, but every time you step up to another series, you get more speed and capability. Have you test drove anything? What do you like and dislike? The 1026R is very comfortable and had better ergonomics than the 2 series tractors. But the 2 series machine are heavier, bigger, more hydraulic capacity, price, etc. From your original post, I would look hard at at a 1 series machine. Most people like what the 1026R has over the 1023E for extras. For roughly $1k, you get a much better seat w/ armrests and suspension, 3 more HP, a 12v outlet, rubber floor mat, an air cleaner blockage indicator, cruise control, tilt wheel, extra lighting, and a position control 3 point hitch.:thumbup1gif: I wanted a 3 series tractor, a 3720 to be exact. I figured I was going to buy a 2720. Then I saw the 1 series tractor. I'd still love to have a bigger tractor, but I don't need one and couldn't justify a bigger one. My 1026R is awesome at doing every job I've tasked it with. 90% of it's job is mowing the grass and it does that better than my commercial walk behind mower! And it's very comfortable to boot.:thumbup1gif:

Good luck in your decision and keep us posted! If you look at one and have any questions, post away! The fellas here will gladly fill your head with tons of info!:thumbup1gif::laugh:

BTW, :wgtt:

·
Administrator
18,977 Posts
My vote is to get the 2520 without the MMM and keep the 345 for mowing.

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
My vote is to get the 2520 without the MMM and keep the 345 for mowing.
That is another great option! The mower alone for the 1 & 2 series tractors is almost the same cost as a good lawn tractor.:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Thanks for all the replys! I will definitely take a look at the 1026R. I just assumed the 1 series were not comparable to the 2's.
Gary

The 1 series replaced the 2305. Today the 2305 would be considered a 1 series tractor.

Just a note on not getting a mower deck with the new tractor & keeping your current mower. That is something to think about, but keep in mind that if you change your mind later, the mower deck will cost more to buy it later. Also when including it with the tractor purchase, the mower deck will be included in any finacing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you have both a tractor and the lawnmower, you have twice the maintenance costs. I have several machines to choose from right now, but I only use the 1026R because I wanted to consolidate. The other machines are getting prepped for new homes.

Similar to what dieselshadow said, I really want a bigger tractor with a cab (3320 cab or 4520 cab) for days like this when it will be 100 degrees outside so I can continue with my work. But in reality, the cost to store, feed, maintain and just room to manuever is just to much to justify that expense. Sure I could get the work done faster and move more dirt at a time, and be in the AC. But I just can't do it with the amount of land I have.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I think that price on the 2305 is a little high.

I bought a new 2305 last year. 62 inch mower deck and loader. 12,900 bucks new.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a 2007 2305 with the 62'' mower deck. My house sits on 30 acres but have only about 2 acres to cut. I had a jd 216 before that. I sold the 2305 and bought a 2520 with the loader ( 61'' ) bucket. The 2305 was a nice tractor however for me it was to big for my lawn. I made a huge mistake getting rid of my 216. I needed a tractor for other uses on my property. The 2520 is a tractor, so now I needed a lawn mower, I bought a x530. It turned out to be a costly mistake for me on getting rid of my 216. I live in upstate ny. and we do get some snow. I had the front blower for the 2305 and it worked great, however with the size of the rear tires and weight of the tractor and that dreaded transmission fan I was always worrying about getting stuck. So now with the blower on the 2520 I now have a tractor for snow removal and yard work, and a separate lawn mower for my lawn. Two pieces of equipment that should last me for years to come. As far as extra maintenance, its not that big of a deal. You already have a good lawn mower in the 345, I'd keep it and go for the tractor in the 2520, a big difference over the 2305.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all the help and great response. I have decided to keep the GX345 for mowing and go ahead with the purchase of the 2520.I plan on getting the FEL, Box Blade, and would really love the back hoe if I can swing it! I plan on ordering it tomorrow and hope I get it before August!
Thanks again for all the help and I hope you all have a great Memorial Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
Great choice!! :good2: Let us know how it goes! :hi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Thanks again for all the help and great response. I have decided to keep the GX345 for mowing and go ahead with the purchase of the 2520.I plan on getting the FEL, Box Blade, and would really love the back hoe if I can swing it! I plan on ordering it tomorrow and hope I get it before August!
Thanks again for all the help and I hope you all have a great Memorial Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary
Hi Gary
Sorry I missed this thread,but seems you're good to go.:good2: You will not be disappointed with your decision. The 2520 is a great choice. If you don't get the BH,try to swing a deal for the I-Match and the ballast box. IMHO,I would opt for the 61" HD bucket too. If you have any questions concerning the 2520 we are here to help.:)

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts