Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I missing something? Replaced H-4's with new Kenda K-500's, now no clearance with the mower up. It's a 60" drive over. Does not seem to be any adjustment to remedy this problem. Anybody else have this experience? Is there a solution short of different tires? Mower Down.JPG Mower Up.JPG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like you're S.O.L. ... :banghead:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll, I'll attempt a return. Surprised nobody else has experienced this.
Any recommendations for a turf tire that has worked for you? What turf tires do folks use with a 60" mmm?

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Do they clear when the deck is in it's lowered position? Usually, its really tight in the highest raised or "transport" position but there is usually a "smidgen" of clearance in the mowing position, is that the case with yours as well?

Also, you can try dropping the air pressure as it will reduce the circumference slightly......Its easy to over inflate those tires as the pressures are so low.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
We'll, I'll attempt a return. Surprised nobody else has experienced this.
Any recommendations for a turf tire that has worked for you? What turf tires do folks use with a 60" mmm?
Before you jump into returning them, I don't think other tires of the same size are going to produce much of a space difference.

You could send the various tire manufacturers an email to their technical customer service question area and ask them to provide the inflated circumference of the tires when mounted and inflated as this is a common issue with these machines. I am not sure you are going to find a tire which provides much clearance as its known to be very tight on these machines, especially with the 60" deck......I have seen some with clearance, but we are talking 1/16th of an inch......in fact the tire rubber "knubs" were striking the deck even in that case.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You don't say what tractor it is but seems like the "1" series guys have used wheel spacers to gain the little bit you need for clearance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 2015 1025R, tire pressure is 14 psi, these are 4 ply tires. I'll try 10 psi but that's getting pretty low. The R-4's were Carlisle's from the factory, only had 47 hrs when I purchased in 2017. They did not have much clearance, but they cleared, up or down. 26 x 12.00-12 replacements same as the take-offs.
Anybody have the factory R-3's? What are they?
The R-4's were so hard on my wet yard.
Carlisle's R-4's spec's say 25.5 " diameter, Kenda claims 25.8" for the K-500 that's only a hair more than 1/8". Might be all it takes, really didn't check the old tires before R & R.
Was hoping that I missed an adjustment to move the deck forward a smidge, if it's dropped a bit it clears but this tractor already has a pretty low "up" position.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Doesn’t the drive over ramp on the deck have a small back and forth adjustment? I seem to recall reading a thread where the solution was to just adjust the ramp.

Edit: Or is the tire actually rubbing the deck?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn’t the drive over ramp on the deck have a small back and forth adjustment? I seem to recall reading a thread where the solution was to just adjust the ramp.

Edit: Or is the tire actually rubbing the deck?
To begin with it was rubbing the little catch ramp...so I removed it. Then the entire back surface of the deck rubbed.
Carlisle tires due in tomorrow will know latter in the evening or Saturday if there is enough difference to keep the R-4's off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carlisle Tires Fixed Problem

Carlisle tires are nearly 4" smaller circumference. Translates into about 5/8" clearance to the mower...that's enough. Now UP.JPG
Pic with the gap is the Carlisle.
Must conclude that the Kenda K500 will not work with a mmm on a 1025R and that not too many have attempted to switch to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
The K502 HDAP is the same dimension as the stock Carlisle R4. I run the K502 with no issues with a 54” deck. Others run them with the 60” deck too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The K502 HDAP is the same dimension as the stock Carlisle R4. I run the K502 with no issues with a 54” deck. Others run them with the 60” deck too.
HDAP tires sure would have been better come snow plow time. While I know those with HDAP's seem to like them, was afraid they might still be too aggressive for my wet turf. Will re-install H4's if necessary in the snow.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Try tightening up the front draft arms on the front of the deck, you know with those big nuts that sandwich around the clamps on the front cross bar? I originally had them too loose and my deck was rubbing my rear tires, I made the draft arms tighter (pulling the deck more toward the front of the tractor) and then they cleared.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Just be careful with any deck adjustments that you keep the leading edge of the deck slightly lower than the trailing edge of the deck, per deck set up instructions. Also, always measure the actual mower deck cutting blade height with the deck height tool from Deere because leveling the actual deck itself won't achieve a level cut because of the decks design. There are details for the proper leveling of each mower model and each deck model in the stickies at the top of the forum headings for each category machine............

As to the OP, I think you are going to be happier with these tires in the winter on your machine as well. They seem to be the ideal all around season tire. The only issue which also needs to be considered is the tires sidewall strength when running the FEL and carrying heavy loads, that is where the R4's seem to excel and also as far as running the tires in fields with objects which can puncture a tire or sidewall, such as some heavy thorns, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just be careful with any deck adjustments that you keep the leading edge of the deck slightly lower than the trailing edge of the deck, per deck set up instructions. Also, always measure the actual mower deck cutting blade height with the deck height tool from Deere because leveling the actual deck itself won't achieve a level cut because of the decks design. There are details for the proper leveling of each mower model and each deck model in the stickies at the top of the forum headings for each category machine............

As to the OP, I think you are going to be happier with these tires in the winter on your machine as well. They seem to be the ideal all around season tire. The only issue which also needs to be considered is the tires sidewall strength when running the FEL and carrying heavy loads, that is where the R4's seem to excel and also as far as running the tires in fields with objects which can puncture a tire or sidewall, such as some heavy thorns, etc.
I do use the JD cutting height tool for set up. Haven't checked deck yet, but seemed to mow fine. Turf tires definitely easier on the wet lawn.
Don't have a FEL so no concern there. Kenda's returned and no hassle refund...thank goodness.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts