Green Tractor Talk banner

Help on used X729 or X748

12K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  TEH 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am brand new to this forum and currently researching a JD Garden Tractor. Just a little background, I just turned 51 and I am finally starting to take my fathers advice and think like an old man and work smarter not harder. I have about 1.5 acres that I maintain so I know either of these machines are overkill for what I need but hey why not! I currently mow with a Scag ZTR and its a great mower, however that's all it does and quite honestly I have a terrible back and that machines cripples me everytime I use it. I have amazing grass but the yard is bumpy and it knocks me around. So the primary use will be to maintain the lawn, hopefully add a few attchments, such as aerator, dethatcher, electric spreader, roller, etc. I currently use a walk behind spreader to fertilize the lawn 4-5x per year and thats getting to be alot of work.

I would also like to either plow or snowblow my driveway - it's roughly 40 feet long x 12 feet wide and I use a walk behind snow blower now to use it. I am thinking I can get one machine that will handle all of my outside maintenance work.

My local dealer has two used machines for sale that caught my eye. The first is the x729, from 2012 with collection system and 190 hours on the clock and the second is a 2007 x748 with 770 hours on the clock and has the front loader, 54" deck and 66" front blade for $9,500.

Both the same price, both more tractor than I need - any thoughts on either of them? The lower hours on the 729 are more attractive but so is the diesel on the 748, although much higher hours. 10k is alot of money for a used piece of equipment, I am sure I can get a decent amount selling my Scag to put towards it bit overall confused on getting a used model. Maybe a new 5 series for around the same $.

Appreciate the thoughts of you more experienced tractor owners.

See less See more
#2 ·
Once you have a front loader you will wonder how you got through life without one. I would go that route in a heart beat.

The X7xx is a better machine all around than a X5xx more so if you are looking at getting into snow removal. They have better hydraulics and shaft driven attachments (mower/blower) which are much easier to change over. Some even have drive over decks.

If it were me, no question, X748. Diesels last a lot longer. The X729 is 4ws so it will be a little better at mowing around trees but the X748 will do just fine. It might take a little longer to mow your yard though if you have a lot of trees.

Reactions: fdmars
#3 ·
Once you have a front loader you will wonder how you got through life without one. I would go that route in a heart beat.

The X7xx is a better machine all around than a X5xx more so if you are looking at getting into snow removal. They have better hydraulics and shaft driven attachments (mower/blower) which are much easier to change over. Some even have drive over decks.

If it were me, no question, X748. Diesels last a lot longer. The X729 is 4ws so it will be a little better at mowing around trees but the X748 will do just fine. It might take a little longer to mow your yard though if you have a lot of trees.
Thank you - no reason to worry about the hours on the used 748?

#4 ·
Oh another question when you say the X748 comes with a front loader is it the John Deere 45 Series FEL or CTC? The 45 isn't made anymore but you can still get the CTC. I ask because it might come into play if you went with the X729 and maybe considered adding the FEL to it later. If you think you might want to go this route, your only option is the CTC. I don't think you can do a FEL on the 4ws versions of the X729 (at least not the 45 if you could even find one). I want to say the linkages for rear steering are in the way but I think CTC might have a solution for that. Or just get the X748 and be done with it.

It is common to see people question buying a FEL for the first time as in if they will be able to justify it. I don't think I have ever seen much for comments about buyer's remorse once they have one. The 45 is fairly rare and very rare to pop up on the used market so worst case if you never used it, you could sell it and get a lot of the money back. I see you mentioned $9500 not sure if both machines are the same price or if you didn't include the price of the X729.

#6 ·
I am a brand new newbie to this but looking at the picture of the loader there is a big "45" decal on it so I am going to say its a 45 LOL.

Both machines are the same price, the difference being the hours, the 748 has 770 hours on it - not sure if that is a concern. I never thought about getting a loader, not even sure where I would store it but I am sure it would come in handy for top soil or mulch or whatever

#8 ·
First off the loader would win the debate for me. Once you have one you never want to be without one.

I’m also not a fan of 4ws even though many others are.

770 hours isn’t real high but it is into midlife when there will be a few repairs occasionally on the tractor. The gas one isn’t there yet, but both have lots of good life left. I consider a gas well used at 1800, a diesel at 2500. That’s not end of life and it doesn’t mean either might not require a major repair to get there, just that they are still worth repairing without question until that range then it becomes debatable depending on the entire condition.

#9 ·
I would definitely buy the X748. I own two X595 diesels which were the model before the X748. I have owned many older diesel models, but the X595 is the best GT I have ever owned. The 4X4 option is something that is wonderful for a loader tractor. Diesels are easy to maintain and are more economical than a gas tractor.

George of Buford

Reactions: kylew
#10 ·
As you kind of pointed out at the beginning you are looking at work smarter not harder. Put some hooks on that bucket either of your own design or Ken's bolt on hooks (member and sponsor here) and you will find a lot more uses for a FEL.

I can honestly say that my FEL sees more work doing other things than the traditional things people associate a FEL for (moving dirt/sand/mulch). With the hooks you can throw a chain on it and move logs. If I am cutting up a tree, I cut it into large chunks then pick up the log and cut it into firewood while standing up rather than bent over. I puck up generators and move them around. I pick up appliances. Move around snow. Move around the attachments to storage or up to the garage where I put them on or work on them. Get that stuff up off the ground. Maybe I am working on a project in the house well I keep a lot of the tools in the pole barn so it might be loading up the pancake compressor, nailer, air lines and other supplies and tools into the bucket and drive them to the house lifting it up the steps so I am not going up and down. I use the FEL so much that I went the other route and the X585 is now a dedicated FEL machine Spring/Summer/Fall. This time of year I have the blade on or blower for snow. It is hard to cut the grass with the FEL on as it gets in the way with trees so I bought a Z950R Zero Turn. I get that you are going away from that but I am just pointing out that the FEL sees that much use with me. In fact I am now looking at going to either a 2025R or 3025E for that dedicated FEL/snow work.

For what it is worth, if you don't use the FEL, as mentioned they can be sold off. They are rare and I would probably start around $3K for one if in good condition and probably wouldn't take anything less than $2500. A new CTC which is the only option now is $3200 plus shipping.

Model X4750+ F.E.L $3,200.00

#11 ·
Thank you all, this is great information. I figure I will only put 150-175 hours per year on the machine si I should have decent life left on a machine with 770 hours on it. I am trying to confirm that the dealer has service records for it and what kind of warranty comes with it. In regards to the loader, is it a quick connect/disconnect set up? Since I will be mowing with it mostly I wouldnt keep the bucket on

#12 ·
Yes 45 loader is a quick connect/disconnect with built-in parking stand. Just need to handle the hoses but no big deal (similar to any other tractor). If it doesn't have any rear weights, get a click-n-go weight bracket and suitcase weights and/or wheel weights.

#14 ·
Dealer may or may not have service records. I don't think many people take them back there for service and the work themselves.

Here is a video of removal and installation to get an idea. I haven't seen one with forks before. Kind of hard to put forks on being it is a pin on bucket unless they changed it over to John Deere Quick Attach Bucket. Some people did that. I just mention that because you should ignore the pallet fork part of the video. The rest applies. You will still have the sub frame on there but that doesn't get in the way.

#15 ·
Thank you - it looks really simple, I am now looking into what my Scag is worth to see the net cost. I am thinking I can get 3k-3.5; for it. The Deere has the loader and blade so I will only need to add mulch kit to it short term and then other items as needed. From what I read, these decks cut very well - may add a stripe kit to it as well.

So I am leaning heavily towards purchasing it, maybe a little play in the price at the dealer, we'll see. You all think its a fair price at 9,500?

#16 ·
Used market is kind of hard. There are no Kelly Blue Books. You can google search a model and find places like Machinery Pete. To get some comparible ones for sale.

Funny, I'll bet this is the one you are looking at which was the first one listed.

There looks to be 4. The one above is the most expensive. But factor in around $3K for that FEL. The next one down was $9K with a blower. I want to say a blower is probably $1.5-2K with quick hitch so that gives you an idea. Then there is one for $7k with just the mower. Add $3K to that and you are at $10K so I would say $9.5K is about right. More so being it also comes with that front blade.

The 54" deck has a little better cut than the 62. This is because the bigger the deck, the harder the time it has with uneven terrain. You mentioned a lot of bumps. Of course it is less grass per cut so it takes longer to cut with a smaller deck. With your lot size, not really that much of a factor.

Again, can't tell a lot from these photos (assuming it is the same machine) but fire it up and drive it around and see. Kind of hard to test the mowing this time of year but you can get a feel for the rest. The deck looks petty clean. It isn't the drive over version. It looks like the same one that I have. To take it off there is a front bracket that pivots down. Disconnect the drive shaft and roll it back off the lift arms. Raise the lift arms then you can turn the gauge wheels sideways and roll it out from under the machine. No belts to mess with which is why I like it much more than say a X590. A neighbor got one of those and I helped him take the deck off and put the blade on. A lot more fiddling with stuff and it isn't nearly as nice. For instance maybe they may a hydraulic angling kit for it but he didn't have one so to angle the blade you have to get off the machine. It also appeared that you can't put down pressure on the blade for scraping.

#18 ·
If it is the one on Machinery Pete (price, hours and attachments all match so very likely). It states front blade. I will say a 66" blade isn't that common on a X7xx. Most people have the 54" JD one. If I were to guess, it might be a CTA front blade on the front quick hitch. They only have the one photo of the tractor with the 45 FEL and 54" Deck.

I also don't see any weights. Maybe the tires are fluid filled but there are no wheel weights. Can't tell if there is anything on the back of the machine for ballast. He would want to add some ballast before pushing the FEL. So he needs to plan for a bit of an added cost for that. I think someone else mentioned that above.

If it is the CTA 66" front blade and normal is the 54" I wouldn't take that as a concern. I have the Artillian wings on my 54" so it is about 66" wide. It is a nice size on these machines. I don't have any personal exp with the CTA blade but I know others here use it. Though it is possible it is something completely different as well. When I see the 66" mentioned with this class machine the CTA comes to mind.

#20 ·
A bit more confirmation. Here is the X729 at the same dealer that he was talking about. Attachments, hours and price all match. No I am not a stalker...

Again in this case only one photo.

I see this one has the collection system as he mentioned in the first post. Here is my thoughts on the collection system. There isn't a right answer here.

This one has the bagger. Personally I dump my clippings (mainly just fall cleanup) in a compost pile. There is no way I would go with the bag version. This is because I am not hauling offsite. I get it some people have to deal with that and then it makes sense. In fact when I bought the Z950R a big reason for that was the dump from seat collection system. I was looking at selling the X585 with all attachments, getting a 1025R at the time but back then the only collection system was the 3 bag version of this one. NOPE. The hopper for the 1025R came out a couple months after I bought the Z. I am not going to deal with the bags to just dump them on the ground. Again I don't haul them off and I get it that this would be nice for those that have to do this. Over time these bags will rip out. Just another reason to go with the cart like I have for the X585. Besides a lot more capacity. Is that just two bags? That would fill up really quick with leaves and be a lot of work dumping.

The next issue is the plastic housing on the powerflow head. I don't know what it is but I seemed to wear out the plastic housings on the powerflow for the X (1025R is basically the same) every few years. I think our top soil is pretty sandy or something. It is a huge pain to change them out and I think the housing was close to $300 the last time I bought one. The powerflow head on the Z9xx is commercial and solid steel other than a plastic deflector, the deflector is $80 and easy to change.

On top of that the X729 doesn't have a front blade or anything for snow. What is a front quick hitch with hydraulic angling? Probably $1000 plus you need the blade which is another $600 or so. That means on top of the price of the X729 you need to add another $1600 to deal with snow.

Just more reasons to go with the X748. You might still have to invest in some ballast but you are going to have more expenses with the X729 for snow anyhow.

#23 ·
A bit more confirmation. Here is the X729 at the same dealer that he was talking about. Attachments, hours and price all match. No I am not a stalker...

Again in this case only one photo.

I see this one has the collection system as he mentioned in the first post. Here is my thoughts on the collection system. There isn't a right answer here.

This one has the bagger. Personally I dump my clippings (mainly just fall cleanup) in a compost pile. There is no way I would go with the bag version. This is because I am not hauling offsite. I get it some people have to deal with that and then it makes sense. In fact when I bought the Z950R a big reason for that was the dump from seat collection system. I was looking at selling the X585 with all attachments, getting a 1025R at the time but back then the only collection system was the 3 bag version of this one. NOPE. The hopper for the 1025R came out a couple months after I bought the Z. I am not going to deal with the bags to just dump them on the ground. Again I don't haul them off and I get it that this would be nice for those that have to do this. Over time these bags will rip out. Just another reason to go with the cart like I have for the X585. Besides a lot more capacity. Is that just two bags? That would fill up really quick with leaves and be a lot of work dumping.

The next issue is the plastic housing on the powerflow head. I don't know what it is but I seemed to wear out the plastic housings on the powerflow for the X (1025R is basically the same) every few years. I think our top soil is pretty sandy or something. It is a huge pain to change them out and I think the housing was close to $300 the last time I bought one. The powerflow head on the Z9xx is commercial and solid steel other than a plastic deflector, the deflector is $80 and easy to change.

On top of that the X729 doesn't have a front blade or anything for snow. What is a front quick hitch with hydraulic angling? Probably $1000 plus you need the blade which is another $600 or so. That means on top of the price of the X729 you need to add another $1600 to deal with snow.

Just more reasons to go with the X748. You might still have to invest in some ballast but you are going to have more expenses with the X729 for snow anyhow.
Thank you, I completely agree. I have no real reason for the collection system, I typically mulch when I mow and do not have a ton of trees to justify the use of the collection system. I am leaning heavily towards the 748 and will be going to the dealer saturday to try and make a deal. I have no place to store the bucket for the 748 now so I will have to figure that out. Also with the snow removal, the blade is nice but I may be better suited for a blower, I have a walkway that is only 36" wide and I typically have to clear a path in the lawn for the dog with the blower. If I could get a new one with no attachments for 9500 it wouldnt be a thought. I would get the new one and deal with the blower in the fall. I also went to Kubota today since the dealer is only 1 mile away, they didn't have anything in stock for a garden tractor but put together a quite of one of the G series, which seems equivelent to the x700 series and a new one with a blower is about 13,500.

#21 ·
You had mentioned the mulching kit. Depending on how you like your yard and what kind of leaf load you get from your trees, you might be able to skip all the collection stuff and just mulch it.

#22 ·
X748 without hesitation or question. As has been stated, you'll never regret getting the loader. If at some time you want to add the rear PTO and 3-point lift, you can (you could also do that with the X729). The price for the X748 is a good one; the loader sold for $3500 by itself when new in 2013, the year they were discontinued. Not sure what the front blade was; the 54C deck is a good deck, does a nice cut. I was never a big fan of 4-wheel steer (X729), but 4WD is very nice. I owned a 2008 X748 for 11 years, bought mine new and put 1450 hours on it mowing and gardening with it. The one thing I do like about the X729 you're looking at is the collection system, I assume it's the JD Power Flow. If by chance you buy the X748, I'll make you a great deal on a Power Flow for it, I still have the one for my X748 (which I traded this past Fall for a 2520 compact). You can PM me for details if interested. The X748 you're looking at is what's called the MFWD version, which was made through the 2008 year. It is a selective 4WD and the front axle drives from a shaft from the hydrostatic tranny. newer models are full-time 4WD (the X729 you're looking at is one) and have hydrostatic motors that drive the front wheels. Owners and JD say the fulltime system doesn't scuff the ground as bad when making tight turns in 4WD, and they're correct, but I never had much issue with that, you just learn how to make your turns when in 4WD.

In either case, you'll get a great machine that will last for years. The diesel will hold its value better, long-term, and 4000-5000 hours can be expected from the engine before an overhaul. If you consider 100 hours/year as a standard, (that's actually higher than the average user), the machine will outlast you.

#24 ·
You may be shocked about the capabilities of this machine and a blade. I have a blade and a blower. I often go several years between needing the blower. The HDAP tires have lots of traction even without chains. Not sure what you get for snow and that is going to be a big factor. For instance if you live in an area with lots of lake effect snow or with no trees and you get a lot of drifting, then you are right, you will probably need a blower. While I live in MN, we have a lot of trees so we don't get very much drifting. We have a small dog as well and I plow a poop path for her. We probably have 1.5' of snow total on the ground but I keep the paths open. So really that means I am only plowing 1-8" of snow at a time depending on the storm. I push the snow out into the yard but I also don't have a manicured lawn by any means. If I scalp some in the process, I don't care much. Also by stripping away the snow like that it is harder on the grass as it doesn't have the protection from the cold when it dips way below 0F. If those things are deal killers, then a blower is a better option. My biggest gripe with my blower is we have so many buildings and windows around that it never fails, I have to blow into the wind. Now that is a job that will freeze you to the bone. More so when it is powdery snow. Because of that I will always plow powder. If I do put the blower on, it is likely because we got slammed with 12" of wet heavy snow which doesn't happen that often. Blowers also don't work when there is a little bit of snow. They need at least 2-3" or they don't seem to work well. That seems like the range of most of our snow falls. When it is 12" of heavy stuff, I can still plow it but it takes forever because if you angle the blade to widen the path down the driveway, the weight of the snow just pushes you over so you are lucky to make the path 6" wider with each path. The tractor just doesn't have enough weight. Because everything is shaft driven, it is a matter of two pins to drop the blade. You pin the pivot of the quick hitch to hold it straight, pull up to and pickup the blower, hook up the drive shaft, disconnect the two hydraulic lines for pivoting the blade and replace them with the hydraulic lines to turn the chute. That is about it. No tools and maybe a 5 min change over. Oh you might have to hook up the mid PTO shaft if you didn't install that. I normally leave mine hooked up all winter just in case since you have to crawl under the tractor to hook it up.

In the winter I bring my blower up from one of the storage buildings just in case. It is sitting out in the garage right now in front of the truck. That said if I know we are getting 12"+ of wet heavy snow, I just go out and plow mid storm and I do fine.

One thing to look at on those machines is the PTO pass through for the blower. I mentioned the PTO mid shaft above for the blower. The way it works is there is a mid PTO output on the front side of the rear axle. This is where the mower deck hooks up in summer months. When you take the mower off and go to use the blower, there is a shaft that goes from the output spline on the rear axle (where the mower was hooked up) and it passes under the tractor to a spline that passes through the front axle and out the front of the tractor. I mention this because, and I don't know for sure on this, but I think that pto shaft pass through is only installed when the dealer sets a machine up for a blower. I can't think of any other attachment that uses the front PTO like that other than the blower or broom. If the machine wasn't set up for one of those two it might not have it installed. I seem to remember some people asking about how to install that which makes me think it might not be standard. It is another thing you might need which could add to the cost of a blower. I just don't know for sure since our machine came with the blower, blade and mower.

Here is a video on installing the blower. If you watch the entire thing, much of it is the change over from mowing to snow and is just done in the fall/spring. If going from blower to blade much of this will remain the same. Fast forward to 1:21 to see the mid shaft and the pass through shaft that I was talking about. Then at 3:04 he is hooking up the driveshaft.

Here is a thread where I think someone was installing the front PTO shaft that passes through the front axle. You can see there are a couple pics where there were caps that he pulled. The shaft is installed through there. Once that is installed, you don't have to mess with it anymore.

I think this is the driveshaft pass through. If not there you would need one of these plus all the bearings, seals and related parts. That shaft might not be the exact part for your machine but an example. The dealer would be able to look it up.

Another thing to ask is about that front blade. Like I said a 66" isn't normal for a John Deere front blade. My guess is it is a CTA or some other 3rd party blade. That can be fine. The CTA blades are nice. However you want to make sure the quick hitch that the blade mounts to is the John Deere one. This is the part with the hydraulic cylinders. If you want to get a blower later, if this isn't the JD version of a quick hitch, you might have to add that to your blower purchase. That will tack on another $700 at least to the blower which is already several thousand unless you score a used one. It is entirely possible that to add a blower to either one of them could be in the $3k range depending on how it is set up now with the mid/front shaft and quick hitch.

This is a big part of why I am on the fence about replacing my X585. Part of me is leaning toward a 3025E because I don't need a mid PTO for a mower. I have the Z950R. If I don't have a mid PTO (the 3E machines only have rear) then I can't do a front blower. I hate to have that much cash tied up in an attachment that sees so little use. If I get a bigger machine, which the 3 series is huge compared to what I have, I likely will have less problems plowing than I do now so there is even less use for a blower. If I really found I needed one, I could pick up a used rear mounted blower. While they kind of suck using being you have to back up. It would be used so infrequently that it really doesn't matter.

This is how I use my machines. I have a coworker with a house in the country but he isn't in a wooded area. His house is along the edge of a field and all it takes is a windy day and he is back out there clearing his 1/4 mile driveway as it drifts over. For him he has to use a blower and he doesn't own a blade.

#26 ·
You can value it as high as you want, but it's what the dealer is willing to give you for it that counts. Hopefully they'll be fair about it. If you have the manuals and a service record, they may be willing to give you more. My local Deere dealer was tickled to get all the manuals (tractor, loader, mower, lift and PTO) plus a complete service record showing all maintenance and parts replacements when I traded my X748 for the 2520. The new owner was even happier, as he then saw how well-maintained it had been.

#27 ·
Being in NY, there’s probably next to no private sale value for your scag until spring breaks. The trade in offered will be your best option unless you want to sit on it a couple months and sell it yourself. See if the dealer will give you a number you can live with knowing they will sit on it a few months.

#28 ·
Thanks everyone. I went to the dealer yesterday and looked at both tractors. While they looked “ok” I am hesitant to buy a 13 year old machine for almost 10k. The dealer priced out a x738 with air suspension seat (I have a bad back) and blower for $13k. Seemed like a pretty good option. He also pushed me toward an x590 which seems like plenty of tractor for my needs for $8k. The only downside I see with the 590 is not having the quick connect and disconnect of the deck and blower. Other than that it seemed like a good tractor. I also went to Kubota and they were priced higher for a GC series garden tractor.

#29 ·
Keep in mind I have a X585 which is basically the X748 with a gas engine. A while back a neighbor bought a X590. It was his first tractor. He bought it with the mower deck and front blade. He has a couple suitcase weights for the rear but it is only 2wd. They delivered it with the mower deck on and he asked for a hand swapping it over. Granted, he didn't know what he was doing and I had never worked with the X590. It was a lot harder and a lot more involved. A lot of it had to do with belt driven attachments. The blade was manual pivot vs hydraulic. Everyone's yard/driveway is different but I am constantly changing the angle on my blade and to have to get off to do that would be a deal killer. I don't think you can put much down pressure on the blade. It reminded me of plowing with my ATV which lasted about half a season and I got rid of it since I had the X585 which was so much more effective.

It is better than shoveling but a huge difference. I don't have any seat time with the X590 but it is worth it to go with a bigger machine.

Going new is always an option. Then you get a warranty and can do 0%. If you do this, make sure you get it configured with all the accessories you think you want because they can be rolled into 0% as well but only when you make the initial purchase. So look at that blower and other stuff you might need. I would throw the angling kit and blade on with it because it isn't that much more and there are times where there is snow you want to clear but not enough and if only 1-2" the blower doesn't work well. It is super easy to swap between the two.

Reactions: The Satch
#30 ·
One other thought. Maybe go to the dealer and see if they have a X590 and a X7xx as well as attachments for them. Have them demo the change over or better yet have you do them.

Reactions: farmer52
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.