Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there simple way to reinstall the Front Drive Shaft on a 750?

The front drive shaft dropped at the front differential (where it connects to the pinion} and shy of draining the fluid and dropping the transfer case to wedge it back in place, is there a better way to reinstall it? I have to do this on the ground outside in the snow, so innovation is appreciated.

The shaft is held against the pinion using pressure to keep the pinion inserted to a bearing ring rather than a universal joint like in the 650

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Maybe you can help us out a little more. Where exactly did it come a part? The pic is from JD parts and doesn't show a differential.

OK, did some more digging. Here is the front diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opps... Shaft, not Axle...

Maybe you can help us out a little more. Where exactly did it come a part? The pic is from JD parts and doesn't show a differential.

OK, did some more digging. Here is the front diff.
Sorry.. I meant to type shaft, not axle. I will update OP.

The shaft is held in using bearings and pressure rather than a universal joint. In your diagram, the shaft is pressed into the Pinion (30)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front Drive Shaft

Text Line Parallel

The Boot (7) with the bearings separated from the spring (12) loaded coupling (11). I have ordered replacement bearings, but getting the shaft compressed enough to slip back in a nightmare shy of dropping the transfer case under the transmission.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All I see in TM1242 is that the drive shaft will separate from the differential when the axle assembly is removed...

It doesn't sound like the assembled drive shaft can go in between two fixed points... I cant speak to assembling the shaft in place, especially with the guard tube installed :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts