Green Tractor Talk banner

Help replacing Deere iMatch Quick Hitch top hook bolts

14K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  PJR832 
#1 ·
I have the newer Deere iMatch with the adjustable top hook. After spending a couple of frustrating hours trying to adapt an older implement to the iMatch, I decided it was time to finally replace those top hook bolts with two clevis pins and hairpin cotters. This will make it much faster and easier to adjust or even remove the top hook.

I noticed LandPride's QH has this feature and I'm hoping someone can advise on the proper pin sizing for the Deere iMatch. The LandPride QH15 specifies "PIN CLEVIS 1/2" X 1" (49/64 USABLE)" in their parts guide. A quick measurement shows this is about right and I can try a little "trial and error" but I'm hoping to avoid multiple trips to the Fastenal store (my normal problem solving methodology).

#3 ·
Yep, that's what I'm planning to do. I just wanted to find the the shortest possible clevis pin to allow for maximum flexibility. The Deere's bolt head and nut protrude quite a bit.

#4 ·
Hiya,

Yup, I much prefer the older fixed upper i-Match, unfortunately you can't get them anymore...

Here's what I did with the new one on the 2520: Went to tractor supply and grabbed a couple bent hitch pins that are 3 inches long. Ya, they are a little long but not bad and they work OK.

CountyLine Bent Hitch Pin, 3 in. Usable Pin Length, S071111TSC - For Life Out Here

The design of the hitch and top U results in some movement with the pins instead of the bolts. I was going to ream the U bolt holes out to a larger size and then press in bushings and ream the pin holes offset to the front to space the centerline of the U to the rear and a slightly smaller size to reduce slop. I haven't gotten around to it now that the winter is over and I have real stuff to do with the tractors. When I eventually get to it, I'll post pictures of course.

#6 ·
Hiya,

Yup, I much prefer the older fixed upper i-Match, unfortunately you can't get them anymore...
For those that prefer the old style iMatch.... if you have access to a welder you can transform one of the new style iMatch hitches to a fixed top hook in about 5 minutes! :)

Reactions: dieselshadow
#5 ·
I have the newer Deere iMatch with the adjustable top hook. After spending a couple of frustrating hours trying to adapt an older implement to the iMatch, I decided it was time to finally replace those top hook bolts with two clevis pins and hairpin cotters. This will make it much faster and easier to adjust or even remove the top hook.

I noticed LandPride's QH has this feature and I'm hoping someone can advise on the proper pin sizing for the Deere iMatch. The LandPride QH15 specifies "PIN CLEVIS 1/2" X 1" (49/64 USABLE)" in their parts guide. A quick measurement shows this is about right and I can try a little "trial and error" but I'm hoping to avoid multiple trips to the Fastenal store (my normal problem solving methodology).
I have had a Land Pride QH-15 for 4 years and I was not impressed with the clevis pins. Ironically, the second time I used it the vibration on the top hook caused the hairpins to fall out and I lost one of the pins. I immediately replaced the clevis pins with bolts and never had any more problems. In the past 4 years I've had to adjust the top hook twice for a weird implement and will gladly trade the few minutes it takes to remove the two bolts compared to loosing the clevis pins.

If you have your mind set on going with clevis pins, skip the hairpins and use cotter rings. At least those won't fall off from vibration.

Reactions: rod330
#7 ·
That is exactly what I did to my iMatch. After adapting my Bush Hog I need the top hook in a different position that for my Heavy Hitch.

I like tomd's pins - I just used what I had in my pin drawer. They are too long but it doesn't matter -

Green Vehicle Grass Plant Soil

#18 ·
That is exactly what I did to my iMatch. After adapting my Bush Hog I need the top hook in a different position that for my Heavy Hitch.

I like tomd's pins - I just used what I had in my pin drawer. They are too long but it doesn't matter -

View attachment 197601
I coontaces JD customer service but didn't get get an answer on replacing the bolts with hitch pins. I was told they would not recommend the swap due to liavility issues. So, thanks for your post. I'll make the switch the next time I visit Tractor Supply.
It will make using my old landscape blade a lot easier to attach

#8 ·
When I was IMatch shopping last summer, I asked my dealer about availability of an old style unit. I believe that they had several in stock of both versions because I had my choice of old style/new style...new or "used".

#12 ·
#16 ·
I can tell you that on my land pride qh I replaced pin for bolts due to cotter always coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I had the JD economy quick hitch that came with bolts. I just went to Walmart and bought the 1/2 inch receiver pin for the smaller 1 1/4 hitches. I bought a style that pulls out on the end and swivels to one side so it doesn't need any cotter pins. I didn't care for that qh so I recently bought a Land Pride quick hitch. It came with pins of the same 1/2" diameter but they are so short I couldn't get ahold of the cotter pins to pull them out. So they got the same pins. It works for me anyway.

#23 ·
I've switched to pins and I've noticed that there is a bit of slop that wouldn't be there with tightened bolts. It occurs a lot when tilling. I highly doubt it is going to be a major wear point given my usage patterns. Definitely they make things easier when swapping the hook position when I change implements.

Rob

Reactions: jdforever and kylew
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.