Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh- something is wrong with my smart tv. the wife took and just shut the tv remote off while i was watching Amazon prime tv. all the parts of the smart tv is working. but for some reason, we cannot get just the part of the tv to work again. it keep's bringing up that the tv needs to reload the dish stuff. after just a few minutes it wants u to unplug ur reciever, we have done that numerous times so far-nothing.:dunno:

can any one help me on this?? our other tv's in the house work, it is just this tv for some reason. thanks big jim

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sounds like the problem is not with the TV, but with the Dish receiver. If it does not straighten out by tomorrow, you will need to call Dish. You might need a new receiver. I have DirecTV, but rarely watch TV.

Dave

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the problem is not with the TV, but with the Dish receiver. If it does not straighten out by tomorrow, you will need to call Dish. You might need a new receiver. I have DirecTV, but rarely watch TV.

Dave
yeah-i agree it's with the receiver part, just because of how the wife shut things down, is causing this, and for some stupid reason, we can't figure out how to reset it. but thanks for responding-:good2:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Unplug the dish receiver & also unplug the TV. then plug them both in. Then turn them both on manually with the power button on each.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Unplug the dish receiver & also unplug the TV. then plug them both in. Then turn them both on manually with the power button on each.
You could start with just the Dish receiver and then move on to doing both if that doesn't correct the issue. For the TV, leave it unplugged for about 10-15 minutes if you do end up unplugging it since many TV's don't have a "reset" button and you need to let the TV 'reset' by not having power.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello and thanks to all:good2: we finally got the stupid thing to work around 6am this morning. after the 2nd attempt of un plugging both tv and receiver, it finally decided to down load to the receiver, and then we could watch the tv.

:dunno: what caused all the fiasco, i don't know for sure, other than she did not shut things down in order:banghead:

so a big thank u to all :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
hello and thanks to all:good2:

:dunno: what caused all the fiasco, i don't know for sure, other than she did not shut things down in order:banghead:

:bigthumb:
I run into this alot with some of my clients. I had one that took me 5 trips back to get things back in sequence. I finally told them to not use the remotes to turn things of. Either do not turn them off at all or manually turn them off. I am not sure how they are turning things off now, but it has been 5 months since they have had a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Another reason I am glad I didn't get a smart TV. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,501 Posts
Another reason I am glad I didn't get a smart TV. :thumbup1gif:
I learned (the hard way) to not buy electronics that try to do more than one thing. Like the "smart" TV - if the "smart" part goes bad it could very well make the entire TV unusable. Or if whatever company the "smart" part comes from - if they decide to stop updating the firmware you are out of luck.

Same goes for cable modems with the router built in and other stuff like that. When the parts are seperate it is much easier to diagnose a problem plus then only replace the bad part instead of the whole thing.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run into this alot with some of my clients. I had one that took me 5 trips back to get things back in sequence. I finally told them to not use the remotes to turn things of. Either do not turn them off at all or manually turn them off. I am not sure how they are turning things off now, but it has been 5 months since they have had a problem.
well tonight it has acted up again.:nunu: the wife went to get out of net-flix to watch the Voice--same darn thing again. say's that the receiver has lost the signal again. i will be in touch with Dish tonight or tomorrow, for a exchange of this box. it has been on their working for -well-13 yrs or so-and no problem till now. i pay 5 bucks a month rent on it, so it is covered. just the pain of it breaking down.

:dunno:and to tell u the the truth, i don't know if my L&G TV has a button to turn it on or off. we have always used remote:dunno:
but thanks!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,501 Posts
well tonight it has acted up again.:nunu: the wife went to get out of net-flix to watch the Voice--same darn thing again. say's that the receiver has lost the signal again. i will be in touch with Dish tonight or tomorrow, for a exchange of this box. it has been on their working for -well-13 yrs or so-and no problem till now. i pay 5 bucks a month rent on it, so it is covered. just the pain of it breaking down.

:dunno:and to tell u the the truth, i don't know if my L&G TV has a button to turn it on or off. we have always used remote:dunno:
but thanks!:thumbup1gif:
Sounds like you found the problem - hopefully.

Just one question - and one thing to try maybe - I'm not sure about these satellite boxes....

How does the Dish box connect to the TV? Is it a regular coax line (the round black cable with the thin copper center that you screw onto the fitting on the TV) or is it connectied with an HDMI connector?

Coax connector:

CO-058TNCMFRP.jpg

HDMI connector:

HDMI-Connector.jpg

The reason I ask - if it is connected with an HDMI connector you can switch it to a different port on your TV. Most TVs have multiple HDMI ports - and these can go bad at times. If it is a coax connector most TVs only have one.

If it is coax - have you checked the cable connections between the box and TV. Hard to believe but these can come loose.

But all this is moot if your Dish receiver is in fact loosing its signal from the satellite.

I like to try all this little stuff before I call as they will usually put you through doing it anyway as they troubleshoot with you over the phone.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you found the problem - hopefully.

Just one question - and one thing to try maybe - I'm not sure about these satellite boxes....

How does the Dish box connect to the TV? Is it a regular coax line (the round black cable with the thin copper center that you screw onto the fitting on the TV) or is it connectied with an HDMI connector?

Coax connector:

View attachment 280554

HDMI connector:

View attachment 280562

The reason I ask - if it is connected with an HDMI connector you can switch it to a different port on your TV. Most TVs have multiple HDMI ports - and these can go bad at times. If it is a coax connector most TVs only have one.

If it is coax - have you checked the cable connections between the box and TV. Hard to believe but these can come loose.

But all this is moot if your Dish receiver is in fact loosing its signal from the satellite.

I like to try all this little stuff before I call as they will usually put you through doing it anyway as they troubleshoot with you over the phone.
coaltrain-i am pretty sure mine are the top kind-coax. just got off the phone with them grave robbing $$$** people at dish. for all these yrs., we have rented these receiver boxes, @ $5 a month. i was under the impression, that if something happened to them, they would replace them. NOT-:nunu: they now say for a tech to come to my house i have to pay $95. of course since this is a public forum, i cannot repeat what i said to them. and when i said i'dl take the box to town to be checked out at my local tv repair shop, he said I repeat-u can have legal action taken against u.:banghead::nunu:

he had me go to a spot on something, asked for a certain code, which right away-is when he wanted me to pay for this tech to come out. waiting on wife to come home, maybe a woman's voice will be better talking to them people in india, than me.:banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
coaltrain-i am pretty sure mine are the top kind-coax. just got off the phone with them grave robbing $$$** people at dish. for all these yrs., we have rented these receiver boxes, @ $5 a month. i was under the impression, that if something happened to them, they would replace them. NOT-:nunu: they now say for a tech to come to my house i have to pay $95. of course since this is a public forum, i cannot repeat what i said to them. and when i said i'dl take the box to town to be checked out at my local tv repair shop, he said I repeat-u can have legal action taken against u.:banghead::nunu:

he had me go to a spot on something, asked for a certain code, which right away-is when he wanted me to pay for this tech to come out. waiting on wife to come home, maybe a woman's voice will be better talking to them people in india, than me.:banghead::banghead:

Jim,

I rent the cable boxes from Charter and have had to replace them several times now at no charge. What I do is unplug them, and take them to Charter's service center and they just swap them out with new ones. No service call or replacement fee. Can you do the same?

·
Registered
21,501 Posts

Wow Big Jim - just Wow!

You made me remember back a couple months ago when I almost signed up for Dish when I was changing my TV services. So not only do they make you commit to a 2 year contract, they don't cover their equipment.....this made me so glad I went with the streaming channels that I did - I just have my 2 Roku units (~$50 each) and no contract - just month to month.

I really feel for you - especially since you've been a customer for so long.

I never knew you had to "rent" the equipment - but you would think that if you are renting it it should be covered if something goes wrong with it.

What a racket they have going!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Wow Big Jim - just Wow!

You made me remember back a couple months ago when I almost signed up for Dish when I was changing my TV services. So not only do they make you commit to a 2 year contract, they don't cover their equipment.....this made me so glad I went with the streaming channels that I did - I just have my 2 Roku units (~$50 each) and no contract - just month to month.

I really feel for you - especially since you've been a customer for so long.

I never knew you had to "rent" the equipment - but you would think that if you are renting it it should be covered if something goes wrong with it.

What a racket they have going!
My guess is that they are charging him for the service call and not the equipment.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim,

I rent the cable boxes from Charter and have had to replace them several times now at no charge. What I do is unplug them, and take them to Charter's service center and they just swap them out with new ones. No service call or replacement fee. Can you do the same?
Afraid not!!! according to this fella i talked to on the phone in India. i just put a call into the local tv repair shop. the owner is going to call me back, or even stop by here-sometime. he has remarried and only lives 5 or so miles from my house now, according to his sectary. back when we moved here, we had Direct tv, the tech who was to be installing the new wires, and sat., was as dumb as a ox. i mean badly. anyways we had words:nunu: told him to get off my property, or that jd 50 was gonna take and shove him and his jeep clear off of it. needless to say, a few hrs later, a state policeman showed up on my door step. after talking to me for a few minutes, and me explaining how ingortant this person was, he shook my hand, and left. i then got this repair shop to install Dish, and run all my wires. have had no problems with anything since, till now.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Afraid not!!! according to this fella i talked to on the phone in India. i just put a call into the local tv repair shop. the owner is going to call me back, or even stop by here-sometime. he has remarried and only lives 5 or so miles from my house now, according to his sectary. back when we moved here, we had Direct tv, the tech who was to be installing the new wires, and sat., was as dumb as a ox. i mean badly. anyways we had words:nunu: told him to get off my property, or that jd 50 was gonna take and shove him and his jeep clear off of it. needless to say, a few hrs later, a state policeman showed up on my door step. after talking to me for a few minutes, and me explaining how ingortant this person was, he shook my hand, and left. i then got this repair shop to install Dish, and run all my wires. have had no problems with anything since, till now.:banghead:
As I told Stan, I was guessing. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with this. I would threaten them with changing to another service. It's amazing how they don't like hearing that. Good luck, hope your repairman can do you right.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just got off phone with my local repair man. for a sum of $21.20, i am getting a new receiver from Dish thru him. so instead of giving Dish the $95 fee for a tech to come out. and god only knows who would show up. i am installing it myself. and i then have to return the old one back to him.

downside to this --- this he said with probably take till end of week:cry: :empathy: no big screen tv till then, only my net-flix or Amazon Prime to watch

·
Registered
21,501 Posts
Good for you! Glad you found a reasonable solution.

Man - there are thousands of things to watch on Netflix and Amazon - and no commercials!

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good for you! Glad you found a reasonable solution.

Man - there are thousands of things to watch on Netflix and Amazon - and no commercials!
ha! on another note, yesterday when Charley boy and i went up over the hill looking for deer, a wire was hanging down from the power lines. it was i think the steel wire they use to help hold the telephone wire between poles. so i just tried to call my local phone company to be nice and inform them of this.

jeez-what a bunch of crap. a fella answered in the Carolina's, all he could tell me was that the wife happened to not pay our bill this month on time. why-she did-i don't know:banghead: but he did tell me thank you for being a customer for over 30 yrs:thumbup1gif:

he then sent me over to the repair side--a little girl from over in the Philippines answered, no help from her. so i will just sit here and wait for a truck to drive by my house -now. isn't newer technology wonderful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts