Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 4520m. The tractor comes with a soot level indicator on the display, and an automatic exhaust filer cleaning system. I've been slowly watching the soot level build up to the point that it is now reading 66% (only 25 hours on the tractor). The owner's manual says that the automatic system continuously cleans the exhaust filer, hence, I wouldn't think the soot level would get this high and continue to climb. Can anyone help me out here? There is little to no other information in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 4520m. The tractor comes with a soot level indicator on the display, and an automatic exhaust filer cleaning system. I've been slowly watching the soot level build up to the point that it is now reading 66% (only 25 hours on the tractor). The owner's manual says that the automatic system continuously cleans the exhaust filer, hence, I wouldn't think the soot level would get this high and continue to climb. Can anyone help me out here? There is little to no other information in the owner's manual.

I don't think you can say it continuously cleans the soot. What it will do is go into regen mode when the soot builds up enough. On my 4066R, it sets the rpms at 1500 for a few minutes until it cleans itself out and then drops down again. If you were mowing or something else that requires high rpms, you will not even know is is doing the regen thing. I have gone through 2 regens so far that I know about. I have over 100 hours so far. Now that I am mowing, it could happen and I would not even notice.

Dave

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
If you only use your tractor for short periods of time-and it sounds like you do, then the soot level will build faster since the engine never really gets up to operation temperature.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you only use your tractor for short periods of time-and it sounds like you do, then the soot level will build faster since the engine never really gets up to operation temperature.
66% is pretty high. I would question the dealer on how high it should get before regen. Could be something wrong. Especially if it has yet to go down. My VW regens every 5 or 600 miles I think. That is only 10 hours driving.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
66% is pretty high. I would question the dealer on how high it should get before regen. Could be something wrong. Especially if it has yet to go down. My VW regens every 5 or 600 miles I think. That is only 10 hours driving.
I would guess that it is 66% on the way to the next regen not that the DPF is 66% blocked. I would bet that once it reaches 100% it will regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I would guess that it is 66% on the way to the next regen not that the DPF is 66% blocked. I would bet that once it reaches 100% it will regen.

May be, but I would err on the side of caution. Doesn't hurt to ask. The VW reports plugging of the DPF, I believe, as once it reaches a certain percentage the DPF has to be replaced. Of course, Deere may have done it just the opposite.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
My 3046r regent at 68% . 1500rpm for 30-40 mins

Well it looks like my guess was wrong.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Idle time is what really builds up the soot level. Working it hard is much better for it. So try to avoid excessive idling. In the old days, we always let a diesel idle rather than shut it off for a short time. Now it is better to shut it off if unnecessary idling exceeds a couple of minutes or so.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
My 3046r regent at 68% . 1500rpm for 30-40 mins

WTF? Am I reading this right that when a DPF equipped diesel needs to regen, and it's not working hard or long that you have to let the thing run for 30 - 40 minutes for the regen cycle to complete? Of course I'd bet that once the cycle is started it can't be interrupted and finished another time.

That seems nuts to burn fuel and pollute the air in order to not pollute the air. :cookoo: Damn Gummint.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
I see a tier 4 section for the Forum in the future. The exact reason I didn't buy an "Orange" tractor. I've been dealing with this issue since 2008. I wanted a diesel P/U. Not now.
Exactly why I went looking for a gas P/U among some other things about diesel in P/U's. Think this will be my last P/U and tractor for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WTF? Am I reading this right that when a DPF equipped diesel needs to regen, and it's not working hard or long that you have to let the thing run for 30 - 40 minutes for the regen cycle to complete? Of course I'd bet that once the cycle is started it can't be interrupted and finished another time.

That seems nuts to burn fuel and pollute the air in order to not pollute the air. :cookoo: Damn Gummint.
Correct. I did shut her down while the process was going on. When I restarted the engine, it asked me to raise the rpm to 1500. When I did it started the regen again. I also did some FEL work while it was going on. Not a huge deal. I love this 3046r :greentractorride::cheers:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
They will get it right eventually. I am good. I have a 10 year unlimited warranty on my VW TDI turbo. Gave CS a bunch of ideas to stop the carnage. Of course getting rid of the EPA would do wonders too. Can't get any cleaner than they are now so what is next? My vote is to clean up overseas. Leave us alone for a change!!!!
Drive And tractor more!!! Worry less!
Exactly why I went looking for a gas P/U among some other things about diesel in P/U's. Think this will be my last P/U and tractor for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have over 30 hours on our 3033R and last time i checked it was only at 10% may be higher my Wife has been operating it.
The harder you work a diesel the hotter the exhaust temp will sustain and the longer you will go between regens. I have a 2012 RAM with over 50K on it and I dont know if or when it has been in regen mode. just that it burns more fuel then any Cummins I have ever owened and have to change the oil more.

Diesels dont like to be lugged and have a narrow power band they run best at higher RPMs the hydraulics will work better also.
:greentractorride:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts