Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I think that I have gotten over the shock of my tractor not performing as I expected.
I have a 1025R with a 60D auto connect deck.
The drive shaft for the mower came loose and hit the transmission filter breaking the stud that you screw it on to.
Is this something that I can fix and so how?? Hopefully it is something that can be done cheaply (fingers crossed).

Thanks
Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You're not the first. Here is a thread and his story. I hope it helps.

Broken Trany Filter

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

Randy's just too fast for me tonight, I was searching for the same thread...

Good luck, your not alone here.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hiya,

Randy's just too fast for me tonight, I was searching for the same thread...

Good luck, your not alone here.
:thumbup1gif: Wayne, make sure you let us know how we can help. We will try and do our best.

Reactions: Levi and rtgt

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, the other two came to mind. Should've known someone, or a couple of someones would've beat me to it. :good2:

Stlouistruckn, unfortunately the short answer is no- this isn't an easy or inexpensive repair. The only way to fix it right involves replacing the cover on the rear axle. If your machine is still under warranty, I would recommend getting the dealer involved before you try anything. There's a chance you could get it covered, at least in part.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Hey Guys,
I think that I have gotten over the shock of my tractor not performing as I expected.
I have a 1025R with a 60D auto connect deck.
The drive shaft for the mower came loose and hit the transmission filter breaking the stud that you screw it on to.
Is this something that I can fix and so how?? Hopefully it is something that can be done cheaply (fingers crossed).

Thanks
Wayne
Wow. Sorry to hear about this but you're not the first to have this issue with a 1 Series. Hopefully you're still under warranty and JD will step up to repair the problem. It's a semi-major & expensive repair.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Really don't have mechanic money is there someway that I can do the repair??
Any videos or guides to help me out??
The best advice is already posted here. Check the links to the other two threads to see what you are in for. But first, like the others said, check with your dealer for warrantee coverage before you start tearing things apart. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: Levi and ilmo

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
This has me really concerned now that it has happened a couple times in the last few months and a major expense. I wonder if there is a way to protect this filter with some type of plate or bracing. In the meantime, I will most definitely check and double check the PTO connection and deck are positively locked in to place. It could be that the U-joint is failing and causing this to happen. :dunno:

Reactions: joshn3448

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
This has me really concerned now that it has happened a couple times in the last few months and a major expense. I wonder if there is a way to protect this filter with some type of plate or bracing. In the meantime, I will most definitely check and double check the PTO connection and deck are positively locked in to place. It could be that the U-joint is failing and causing this to happen. :dunno:
I was just thinking same thing.
This looks like a job for Super Ken!:lol:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This is why they put drive shaft "loops" in vehicles that drag race or mud/monster trucks.

The loop is a steel collar that surrounds the drive shaft then fastened to the chassis. If a U joint failed it keeps the shaft from opening up the floor like a can of tomato soup. The front of the shaft can also dig into the ground and pole vault the vehicle in the air. Either way it never ends good.

For a shaft that small a good piece of tow strap should be able too hold the drive shaft from falling down.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Question, are these manual connect or auto connect that are failing? I always triple check my manual connections for this very reason. :thumbup1gif:

:banghead: Just reread the OP, auto connect, sounds like this a real problem and should be covered under warrantee.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Question, are these manual connect or auto connect that are failing? I always triple check my manual connections for this very reason. :thumbup1gif:
No matter the style Randy, they both use a quick connect on the transmission stub shaft. So they both have the possibility to come off in the same manner.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts
I'm going to chime in here.
This probably won't help Stlouistruckn but John Deere should step up and repair/replace all failures. Bad Design is Bad Design no matter the manufacturer, period.

IMO, Good post H-D dealer dude. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
No matter the style Randy, they both use a quick connect on the transmission stub shaft. So they both have the possibility to come off in the same manner.
Very true, but it isn't the coming off that others me about this, it is the locking on. I have more than once pulled the shaft off after I was certain that it was on and locked. It doesn't take much to prevent it from locking. Sounds like the auto connects aren't locking on. Manual install, check and then triple check.

Reactions: DRobinson and rtgt

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I'm not sure it's a design failure... It could be the driveshafts were never seated fully or correctly in the first place. It would be nice if there was a system in place to make sure its seated.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts