Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my third newbie question post but I figure I can get a few more before people start throwing things.

I have a 4044R with loader on order. It is coming with a 73" materials bucket but have reached out to the dealer about swapping out the bucket for the HD model. I'm thinking this will be needed as I have some rocky soil banks I need to cut back. Likely will get either a Pirana or Heavy Hitch tooth bar as well.

So my question is do I stick with the 73" HD bucket or is there any advantage to the getting the 61"? Bucket will be used for the bank project plus top soil and gravel FEL work and no doubt some snow work. I'm used to a Ford 8N with about a 3' bucket so anything will be bigger.

Thoughts from those that have the experience?

·
Administrator
20,638 Posts
I think 73" is a good fit for a 4-series.

Reactions: Sinktip

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Mine is a 73” HD bucket and it works great on my 4044R. Not sure why they would offer you a 61”. I did go out and measure to make sure what I had and it is a 73”.

When it was new, it’s got scratches and is dirty now. ;)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I recently bought a used 4044M that had a HD bucket on it. Not that I have used it, and thinking of the standard bucket on my 790, I am happy that I have it. I hope to buy a new tractor in a few years and I will opt for the HD bucket.

Also I think the wider bucket it better for me. I recently built a shooting backstop and dug a pond. I don’t have the visibility I’m used to with the smaller tractor, so seeing the around the side of the tractor was nice.

Congratulations on the new tractor!

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
You tractor is 6 ft wide. You do not want a bucket smaller than that.

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, got the 73" HD bucket, very happy with it and the lifting power of the 4 series on my 4044R.

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had a 73” hd bucket on my smaller 3520 cab tractor since new. I couldn’t even imagine a 61” bucket. I can pick up a full bucket of modified stone of topsoil heaped and dump into mini dump truck. I have moved hundreds of loads of stone, Millings, dirt you name it. Snow removal. I would think 73” was undersized for a 4000 series. I would go up next higher. You don’t want the bucket to be same exact size as wheelbase.
But hey that’s just me

·
Registered
123 Posts
So my question is do I stick with the 73" HD bucket...
73" makes a lot of sense. HD unless you are limiting loader work to light materials. Maybe a "4 in1" clam shell bucket or a grapple on the HD bucket. Hydraulics on a loader bucket comes in really handy for general purpose use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts