Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... while assembling my new tiller countryline/tarter 4' I think I pulled a muscle in my right hand. Everything hooked up using the ihitch with no problem but I am trying to connect the pto.

I have the tiller end in but not sure if it is right as there is a nut and bolt on it and in the instructions it doesn't talk about tightening this an it is hand loose. Any suggestions ?

The next thing was trying to hook up to the tractor and it seems I am off just a little so I cant align it to slide on. I think it might be due to I am having problems holding the pto and turning it as one hand is bad. Anyone have suggestions if I am doing it right or missed something?

I know there are a lot of people on here with so much experience we newbees must really seem dumb. :laugh: Never put a pto on before so its new to me and I am trying not to break something.

Thanks for any advice...(please don't tell me to stick to walk behind mowers :hide:)

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
As far as putting the shaft on the tractor - put your PTO selector in the mid position. This way the rear spline will turn easily by hand. While lining up the shaft turn the shaft as you push and it should slip right on.

Also be sure your shaft coupling is in the open position. If it is the round collar type push it back and turn it 1/4 turn and it will stay locked open. It will then shut automatically when it bottoms out on the shaft.

If you have the push pin type you have to hold that pin down while sliding the shaft on.

·
Registered
301 Posts
First things first there are no dumb questions!

Once you get the 3 point or imatch in your case connected. Shut the tractor down, as in turn it off and you will be able to turn the tractor side of the pro shaft with ease. This will allow for proper alignment of the splines.

Do you have a slip clutch or a shear bolt for protection on your PtO shaft? A picture of the tiller end of the PTO would help everyone here in helping you.

·
Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
I have the tiller end in but not sure if it is right as there is a nut and bolt on it and in the instructions it doesn't talk about tightening this an it is hand loose. Any suggestions
That one doesn't need to be tight. That bolt slips through a groove on the gearbox input shaft. Once in place it prevents the PTO shaft from pulling free from the gearbox. As long as the bolt is there it's doing it's job. If it didn't come with one already, I suggest replacing the nut with a locknut with the nylon inserts.

The next thing was trying to hook up to the tractor and it seems I am off just a little so I cant align it to slide on. I think it might be due to I am having problems holding the pto and turning it as one hand is bad. Anyone have suggestions if I am doing it right or missed something?
As coaltrain said, make sure your PTO selector is set to mid-PTO ONLY. That will allow your rear PTO shaft stub to rotate freely. Then you can nudge it from side to side to get the splines to line up. If you have the selector set to Rear PTO of Mid- and rear PTO, the rear PTO stub won't move at all.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
:dunno: Ok you got me. What is a PTO selector?
Engaging the PTO—Operator on Seat

1. Sit on operator seat.
  2. Lock the park brake.
  3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
  4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
    Start the engine.
  5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.

6. LVAL38279-UN-21AUG12

LVAL38431-UN-02NOV12
    A - PTO Control Lever
    B - Mid PTO Only
    C - Mid and Rear PTO
    D - Rear PTO Only
    E - 3200 RPM
    F - LCD
    Move the PTO control lever (A) to desired operating position.
    • Position (B) - Mid PTO only.
    • Position (C) - Mid and Rear PTO
    • Position (D) - Rear PTO only.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for advice. I will try again in the morning

Engaging the PTO—Operator on Seat

1. Sit on operator seat.
  2. Lock the park brake.
  3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
  4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
    Start the engine.
  5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.

6. LVAL38279-UN-21AUG12

LVAL38431-UN-02NOV12
    A - PTO Control Lever
    B - Mid PTO Only
    C - Mid and Rear PTO
    D - Rear PTO Only
    E - 3200 RPM
    F - LCD
    Move the PTO control lever (A) to desired operating position.
    • Position (B) - Mid PTO only.
    • Position (C) - Mid and Rear PTO
    • Position (D) - Rear PTO only.

This I know lol. But again thanks to everyone for the advice.:usa

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Flip up the PTO shield

I hope I'm not telling you something that you think is obvious, but you said you were new to this.

There is a 3-sided metal shield around the PTO spline on the back of the tractor. Grab this at the top and pull up. This shield is hinged so that you can flip it up and get it out of the way when you need to hook up to the rear spline. A lot of new folks don't realize this, and they really struggle getting the shaft hooked up. It's a lot easier if you have room to work. This is a safety shield, so please put it back down after you have completed the hookup.

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Are you sure the PTO shaft isn't to long? You mentioned it was a "new" tiller, quite often the shafts have to be cut to size or serious damage can occur.

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
Are you sure the PTO shaft isn't to long? You mentioned it was a "new" tiller, quite often the shafts have to be cut to size or serious damage can occur.
I was going to ask the same thing. Kennyd beat me to it :bigbeer:

I thought kennyd would link to: PTO Shafts, The Good, the Bad, the Ugly in the stickies for this section :whip:

·
Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
I hope I'm not telling you something that you think is obvious, but you said you were new to this.

There is a 3-sided metal shield around the PTO spline on the back of the tractor. Grab this at the top and pull up. This shield is hinged so that you can flip it up and get it out of the way when you need to hook up to the rear spline. A lot of new folks don't realize this, and they really struggle getting the shaft hooked up. It's a lot easier if you have room to work. This is a safety shield, so please put it back down after you have completed the hookup.
I had my tractor for 3 years before I figured out that the PTO shield flips up. :laugh: It sure is easier to connect a PTO shaft with it out of the way!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks as you know I am a newbee so I am pretty dumb when it comes to tractor and didn't realize this. so thanks! I have no business with this 1025 but I could afford it and wanted one for a long time to help me go into my retirement years:lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to read the thread

I will read the thread and see if maybe it does need to be cut. So new and so afraid I will ruin my tractor :hide:

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I also have a Country Line tiller and the instructions to measure the the shaft are pretty could. In addition, there are some really good tutorials on YouTube explaining this process which were very helpful in my case.
One of the other replies asked if your tiller has a slip clutch. If so this will need to be "adjusted" so it slips properly. Again the manual was very goo, but YouTube videos really help.
As mentioned, pictures are helpful for this group to assist in your questions.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had to cut 1.5” off of the pto shaft of my Countyline (Tarter) tiller to fit my 1025R.

I also had to clean the slip clutch plate. Instructions for that are on a label on the tiller.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I had to cut 1.5” off of the pto shaft of my Countyline (Tarter) tiller to fit my 1025R.

I also had to clean the slip clutch plate. Instructions for that are on a label on the tiller.
I had to adjust the slip clutch on my KK tiller too. It was too tight from the factory. Pretty easy to adjust... just takes a little time.

Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts