Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new iPad Air for Christmas. It's a neat device and I can use it around the house for internet connection . But I've found it doesn't have the 'net capability away from my home like my iPhone does. Is this a setting issue? Or is there a way I can sync the iPad to my iPhone without having to pay an additional fee . I'd like to do this , mainly to have a larger screen. TIA

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Using your phone as a hotspot is called tethering. Most carriers charge extra to tether. Check with your carrier. You should be able to connect to any other wireless(WiFi) when out and about if they are available.

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
There are two versions of the iPad's, all are WiFi capable, but only some are able to work independently on cellular networks. So which one do you have? The cell capable ones require a separate contract and plan usually through your carrier.

But, with you iPhone you can go to the settings and enable the "Personal Hotspot" option. That should allow you to connect your ipad via WiFi to your phone and use it's data plan.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just what Kenny said. Have to have a CELL ready version and a contract with wireless provider. When I bought mine late last year I did just that. While I don'f often use it off WiFi, it is nice to have.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using your phone as a hotspot is called tethering. Most carriers charge extra to tether. Check with your carrier. You should be able to connect to any other wireless(WiFi) when out and about if they are available.
There are two versions of the iPad's, all are WiFi capable, but only some are able to work independently on cellular networks. So which one do you have? The cell capable ones require a separate contract and plan usually through your carrier.

But, with you iPhone you can go to the settings and enable the "Personal Hotspot" option. That should allow you to connect your ipad via WiFi to your phone and use it's data plan.
Just what Kenny said. Have to have a CELL ready version and a contract with wireless provider. When I bought mine late last year I did just that. While I don'f often use it off WiFi, it is nice to have.
Mine is the ipad air MN: MD786LL/A

It has bluetooth,airplane mode,etc. Its settings page looks identical to my iphone. Thanks guys...I'll call my IP today

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Thanks guys...I'll call my IP today

Ok I was a little confused by your last comment in your post. Not sure if you meant IP of cell provider.

Are you looking to have wireless access home or away from home? I guessing that you already have internet access at home but do you have WiFi at home? Most internet companies have WiFi enabled modems if yours is not all you will need at home is an access point.

If you want your iPad work outside of your home network you need a hotspot. They are generally provided by cellular companies. You can either get a mobile hotspot, a separate device or tether with a cellphone. I have Sprint for example and they disable the hotspot feature on any cellphone that is capable of doing it unless you pay for the feature.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok I was a little confused by your last comment in your post. Not sure if you meant IP of cell provider.

Are you looking to have wireless access home or away from home? I guessing that you already have internet access at home but do you have WiFi at home? Most internet companies have WiFi enabled modems if yours is not all you will need at home is an access point.

If you want your iPad work outside of your home network you need a hotspot. They are generally provided by cellular companies. You can either get a mobile hotspot, a separate device or tether with a cellphone. I have Sprint for example and they disable the hotspot feature on any cellphone that is capable of doing it unless you pay for the feature.
I apologize. I meant cell provider. I have ATT cell service provider. I'll contact them...I guess, to see if I can tether to my cell. Off hand,is that normally very expensive?
I sometimes need to look up troubleshooting guides,specifications,wiring diagrams for different applications.etc, while on a job...and it would be great if I could use the ipad with its larger screen.

I really appreciate ya'll getting me pointed in the right direction!

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
How's all this tethering and WiFi stuff related to an iPad. Isn't an iPad intended to use as the video below shows?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I have no idea how to do any of that crap. I've avoided the smartphone deal as I tend to break expensive electronic things (did you know that a hammer does not have the same effect as a reset button on these things WTF?) I'll go ask my 10 year old.:lol:

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Randy, did you try what I wrote above with the "Personal Hotspot" option in your iPhone?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randy, did you try what I wrote above with the "Personal Hotspot" option in your iPhone?
Im not seeing "personal hotspot" in my settings. Is that an app I can download? BTW I have the iPhone 4 gs...that may make a difference?

I'm headed to a job and will be away from the site for a couple of hours

Again....thanks!

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
The newer software includes this option. I have a iPhone 4 as well running 7xx on ATT also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400083031.735388.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts