Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad bought this tractor at an estate sale 6 years ago. Used it for about 6 months and it started making a grinding sound. Anyways he parked it and never moved again for 6 years. I was able to get it started and purring like a kitten. That "grinding" sound was from the fact that 3 of the 4 bolts holding the engine to frame had fallen out. Lol! It's a beautiful tractor.

Here is my problem. Yesterday was the first time I really mowed with it. After about 20 minutes of mowing. It bogged down for a second and then shut off. Started right back up, mowed for maybe 5-10minutes and did the same thing. Started right back up. 5-10min later it started to do it again so I pulled choke and it prevented it from dying and ran fine. It did this maybe 3 more times. Each time I pulled choke it prevented from dying and then ran fine for 5-10min. I don't feel like the motor was overloaded. Can't decide if this is a fuel issue or air issue. Runs fine when blades not engaged. No safety mechanisms that would shut off engine. Any ideas where to start looking.
Wheel Tire Plant Riding mower Tractor

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
If it runs with the choke on it is a fuel issue. Probably something plugging up the carb. Disassemble and clean everything really good, reassemble. There are service manuals with detailed instructions available online.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
44 Posts
Check all the fuel lines and fuel tank connections for old rubber products don’t like todays ethanol base fuel. It also promotes corrosion on brass and aluminum after sitting for long periods. Fuel begins to separate and water infiltrated fuel is bad news. Make sure to use stabilization type additive with the fuel to avoid it happening.
Nice old tractor.!! I always loved those

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
155 Posts
Dump a can of Seafoam in the tank and run for a while. If that doesn't clear it up, then pull carb. Would also replace all fuel lines and fuel filter - if you haven't already.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It could also be float level. When you're checking and cleaning the carb, be sure to adjust the float level to spec.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Another thought here is to check the pickup in the fuel tank. It may have some dirt or debris settling over the fuel outlet starving it for fuel. Pull the fender pan and remove tank to thoroughly clean it out if needed. Also a good time to replace the entire fuel line and add an inline fuel filter. My son added one along the frame rail near the tank.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,194 Posts
As others have said, its almost certainly a fuel related issue. The new ethanol fuel is very unstable and frankly, junk. It has to be stabilized or it begins its degradation in as little as 30 days. I agree 100% with the run a can of Sea Foam through the tractor engine first, before doing anything else. Also as others have said, check the fuel filter(s) because the 6 years the machine sat, it was likely with fuel in the system which isn't conducive to good fuel system performance.

The parts illustration for that machine shows a fuel shut off valve in the bottom of the tank. Make sure that valve is opening fully and isn't obstructed with debris in the bottom of the tank or just crud from the old fuel.

Rectangle Organism Font Line Parallel

And when you solve the problem, make sure to report back and tell everyone how you returned this machine to it operational glory.................its helpful for all to see how the problems are fixed..........and it makes threads more valuable when the next person has the problem..........

Reactions: KennyP
1 - 9 of 9 Posts