Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on building a patio roof over the back of my home. 32' wide by 16' deep. I have several roof lines and angles that intersect back there so I plan on using SkyLift roof risers to support the upper ridge beam. (Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I'm not a carpenter....)

I also plan on using Perma-Columns for the lower side.

So here's the issue. I have no idea on what to size the framing lumber to. I'm thinking a LVL or glulam being used as the upper and lower ridge beams, 3.5" wide. I don't know how many risers or columns to use either. I will be using the galvanized HD risers and 6x6 Perma-Columns. I have to have a minimum of a 10lb snow load, 90 mph wind rating, and I'll be using standard roofing materials, aka architectural shingles.

I also want to clad it in siding on the posts and underside to give it the clean look and help preserve it. But that will come later. Along with fans and lights.

So what size LVLs, rafters, what spacing to use on the rafters, and how many columns and risers?

I'm guessing, usually to overkill standards by using 4 each of the columns and risers. That gives a span of under 10' between each. I'll also have an eve or overhang at the top and bottom. Probably 1' at the top, 2' at the bottom, and the outer columns and risers located at least 1' inside the outside roof edges.

I don't have any plans drawn up, can't find anything either, and really don't want to pay $1k for someone to do this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Those sky lift risers seem to me to be for more of a sun shade or awning type deal. First thought for me when looking at them is during a downpour the water from the roof is going to go past the gutter and right onto the patio. Then of course is snow - those risers would never take a snow load plus snow and ice can also slide down onto the patio. But I am guessing you don’t have to worry about snow and ice.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Stan, they are quite heavy duty and can be used for larger projects as well. Seems like a pretty innovative solution for a project like mine. That gap would allow wind blown rain in a heavy storm through sure, but not your normal rain. The gutters would still catch it all. The opening would also allow me to continue to use my smoker and let it exhaust the smoke away from the house. A good breeze would also happen with that gap not allowing hot air to stagnate under it like a normal patio roof. That's a huge welcome here just in itself. The HD riser is capable of a lot more weight than your typical 2x4 framed wall which these attach to. They don't sit on the roof, nor do they attach to the home's rafters. Pretty cool.

The only downside I see to these SkyLift risers is it'll make screening in the patio much more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Sketch up a drawing of what you want and take it to a lumber yard. The companies that make LVLs/Glulam beams all have a phone number they can call, send your sketch to and have the sizing properly calculated. That's probably your easiest task.

I'd have to dig out the tables but if your rafters are going to run that entire 16' span, pine or fir 2x10s spaced 16" O.C. just barely meet the minimum. 2x12s. @ 16 O.C. would give you some safety factor.

Once you figure out your rafters and beam sizes you can figure out all your weights and calculate how many columns you need.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The span should be close to 13' due to the 2' overhang at the bottom and the 1' overhang at the top.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
The span should be close to 13' due to the 2' overhang at the bottom and the 1' overhang at the top.
If I'm remembering right, 12'6" is the max span for 2x8s. So at 13', you'd need 2x10s at a minimum.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
So I plan on building a patio roof over the back of my home. 32' wide by 16' deep. I have several roof lines and angles that intersect back there so I plan on using SkyLift roof risers to support the upper ridge beam. (Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I'm not a carpenter....)

I also plan on using Perma-Columns for the lower side.

So here's the issue. I have no idea on what to size the framing lumber to. I'm thinking a LVL or glulam being used as the upper and lower ridge beams, 3.5" wide. I don't know how many risers or columns to use either. I will be using the galvanized HD risers and 6x6 Perma-Columns. I have to have a minimum of a 10lb snow load, 90 mph wind rating, and I'll be using standard roofing materials, aka architectural shingles.

I also want to clad it in siding on the posts and underside to give it the clean look and help preserve it. But that will come later. Along with fans and lights.

So what size LVLs, rafters, what spacing to use on the rafters, and how many columns and risers?

I'm guessing, usually to overkill standards by using 4 each of the columns and risers. That gives a span of under 10' between each. I'll also have an eve or overhang at the top and bottom. Probably 1' at the top, 2' at the bottom, and the outer columns and risers located at least 1' inside the outside roof edges.

I don't have any plans drawn up, can't find anything either, and really don't want to pay $1k for someone to do this. Any suggestions?
Jason, your local lumber yard can do the beam calks for you, most have the software from leading manufactures for micro lam, versa lam, glulam etc, and they can also do your beam spacing based on your local IRC version and the manufacturers spec for the supports.. Good luck. Jeff

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow!

I just got a bid for $3500 to install this roof *if I supply the materials!* Dadgum that seems awfully high.

The roof is 512 square ft. Essentially its a free standing structure with one side anchored to the house. Does anyone else think this is way too high? What do you think is should cost?

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a really rough sketch. I'm not OC or FW.... :mocking:

fullsizeoutput_242.jpeg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not claiming to be an expert but I do live 24/7 with projects taking place on properties. The cost seems right in the ballpark to me. The 22x8 deck I'm having built with a 24x10 roof above it is costing me right at $8,000 if that gives you any perspective. I do most projects myself but I know what it would cost me to do the work myself and I for dang sure know how long it would have taken me to do the work myself. I jumped on the $8k bid quickly!

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My neighbor had a patio roof installed, probably close to 18' x 12' give or take, had it completely vinyl wrapped including the underside for $1800. Everything included. That's why I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around $3500 just for the labor....

I'm having that same contractor come over and bid this roof project. We'll see what he says.

I will have to order the SkyJack roof risers and Perma-columns at nearly $1k for the bundle, but I expect that. :good2:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts