Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here talking about the disappointment with the power flow on my 17 1025r, I see now that the new 2025r has what they call iron 7 ,60 inch deck, mine is 54D, the opion is the 54D deck issue is so thin for the auto connect feature it dosent have enough vacuum area under it to work correctly, that's been my biggest disappointment with the whole outfit, is the iron 7 on the new 2025r going to be better, the powerful system is very important to me, maybe enough to trade tractors, also is there 54 inch offering on the 2025 the same deck that I now have, your options are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hard to say. Most would agree that the newer 7 iron decks are not as good as the old ones, like those used on older commercial z-turns such as the 757. I guess I thought the 54d was a 7 iron deck anyway?? Maybe not

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Hard to say. Most would agree that the newer 7 iron decks are not as good as the old ones, like those used on older commercial z-turns such as the 757. I guess I thought the 54d was a 7 iron deck anyway?? Maybe not
Agreed. What was once the old 7-Iron deck is no more. 7-Iron is more a marketing term now. The newer commercial decks like on the commercial zero turns are now called 7-Iron PRO.

As far as performance the depth of the deck is paramount. I went from a commercial 757 zero turn with a true 7-Iron deck to my present 62D deck under my 2520. Huge difference in performance which has quite disappointing to me. The old 7-Iron deck is about 5.5” deep - this newer deck is lucky to be 4” deep.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maybe swap to Gator blades? They get good reviews.

·
Super Moderator
2,237 Posts
Don't know the truth, but I heard JD called them 7 Iron originally because they were 7 gauge ferous steel (iron). As Coaltrain said, I think it's more of a marketing thing now.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Don't know the truth, but I heard JD called them 7 Iron originally because they were 7 gauge ferous steel (iron). As Coaltrain said, I think it's more of a marketing thing now.
True - and they still very well may be 7ga decks. I noticed when looking around at other mowers recently, those that do list the gauge of their decks were mostly 10ga and 11ga. There is also a difference in stamped decks vs. fabricated. I remember the old 7-Iron decks being stamped - don’t know if that is still true or not.

I don’t know the actual specifics but to me a stamped deck will have much less hard corners - more smooth corners which helps with the air/grass flow. Also assume that stamped decks are more costly to produce.

There’s a lot behind mower decks if you look closely enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stopped by a deere store after hours last night, looked at a new 2025R with the "new" iron 7 deck compared to the one on my 1025r just picking a spot on the left side easy to get too and the same spot on my deck ,,the iron7 is over an inch deeper and appears to be a lot smoother constructed, I really like my 1025 but the powerflo has been a real disappointment, so much I've been looking at another kubota,, my old kubota was so much better even at 20 years old, vaccume wise ,I've tried blades, put ground effect type plastics shields, brush type door bottoms, even a breathable type foam skirting, nothing helps, not sure I want to risk that much on another deere or go back orange, anyone know of any buy back assistants from Deere, the power flo means that much to me I vaccume 2 to 3 acres every week and leaves galore, any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts