Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got a problem here than even a BFH won't solve. :LOL: Now I'm a pretty good mechanic and fabricator, and maybe I just had a few too many drinks after work today, but this project is gonna meet up with my welder real soon unless y'all have any ideas.

Titan ballast box, TerraKing quick hitch bushing kit. These roll pins are the toughest I've ever come across. They fit into the bushings easy enough but only make it about halfway thru the Cat 1 pins on the ballast box before they start mushrooming. Any suggestions other than buy straight Cat 2 pins for the box? If that's the case, I'll just weld these QH bushings on and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
2 suggestions:
1) Throw some cutting oil in and see if they'll go...
2) Now you're got cutting oil in the hole, run a drill bit that is the same size as the hole through it.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Never had any issues with roll pins on the JD or KennyD sets. Throw them away. Also use the other hole so the pins will not have that gap, provided the ballast box will still give you sufficient room for the iMatch to hook up.

Dave

·
Registered
654 Posts
Grind a little more bevel on the end then slide a nail or bolt through the pin and hold it against a grinder wheel letting the pin turn to reduce the size just a bit. Like was said before, lube the pin. If you have an air impact tool with a blunt tool end it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheeler 110128 Master Roll Pin Punch Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4RG02...abc_FZ1215J9M2KE56NQXB55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Take the hammer and Chuck it in the woods.

Edit, and lube it as MattL mentioned
Nice. That hammer may be junk for working in the shop but, is it any good for firearms? Seems that kit is intended for that purpose as well.

Also use the other hole so the pins will not have that gap
That was just me showing how far in it would go. I will actually seat the bushings all the way down.

Grind a little more bevel on the end then slide a nail or bolt through the pin and hold it against a grinder wheel letting the pin turn to reduce the size just a bit. Like was said before, lube the pin.
Good idea, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and cutting oil... yeah tried that. Grease too. It wasn't having it LOL.

So yeah, I'll turn the pins down a bit, lube them up and try again. And invest in some roll pin punches!

Thanks guys.

PS: yes I know this is not top quality gear. It's just a "dumb" weight set, I'll make it fit one way or another and save the $ for where it counts, like a decent box blade.

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
Oh, and cutting oil... yeah tried that. Grease too. It wasn't having it LOL.
I wasn’t a believer in roll pin punches until I bought some. They are required in the tool box. I have always successfully cut/punched/drilled my way to success removing them no matter how rusty, I haven’t had to since buying the tools. I’m sure the female ones will help with insertion.

·
Premium Member
15,140 Posts
I always squirt 'em with a little WD40 and they tap right in with a small ball peen hammer. So far that's worked on about 5 sets of them. I guess it's possible you received some roll pins that are over sized.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

I got several pin punches at harbor freight that work great. On all my roll pins ive noticed that only 1 end was tapered. I ran 1 backwards before i figured that one out. D’oh 🤦‍♂️

If you have a bench vice you can press the bushing pin in and then take your lift pin with bushing and attach to the implement. Its much easier on the ears that way

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to suggest pounding them in with a crescent wrench but I see you got them in.
Crescent wrench? Oh, you mean an adjustable hammer! ;) Yeah after I turned the pins down and drilled the holes out a small amount they went right in without too much of a fight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So what was the problem, or fix?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I usually don’t have much trouble with roll pins. Sometimes it helps to grind the leading edge down a bit to help line up the holes. They do make special punches for roll pins, but they are more for remoVal. Sometimes a vise grip or channel lock can be used to squeeze the pin to make it start easier. But, if the hole is drilled to the proper size all that should be needed is a small hammer to install roll pins.

Reactions: tommyhawk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what was the problem, or fix?
The problem was the roll pins that came with my adapter bushings fit into the bushings themselves but would only go about halfway into the cat 1 pins on my ballast box, and I was fixin to bust out the welder. The fix was to slightly reduce the diameter of the roll pins and slightly increase the diameter of the ballast box pin holes.

....i usually use vice grips to squeeze the roll pin...and brass hammer....
Oh no, not these roll pins LOL. Even vice grips wouldn't compress them enough! My bench vice could but that didn't help me much.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had the same problem on one of my attachments. I just ended up drilling the hole out just a little bit then taking a BFH & hammering it in. Worked like a charm.

Reactions: rtgt
1 - 20 of 25 Posts