Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put this building up to park equipment under. It faces north and south. Being in Florida most of our high winds come out of the north. I did not want to enclose it due to it being a potential parachute in a hurricane. I would like to put up some sort of rain/wind block on the north side that maybe I can still drive through. I have seen the clear plastic strips on some warehouse doors but have no idea the cost or where to get it. I am open for suggestions on how make some sort of rain/wind block that is not a solid wall. 20140126_072930 (Medium).jpg

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Just throwin' it out there, but if you did want to use a rigid (but not solid) door/gate, I did some reading on windbreaks for my horses and it said that if you use rough cut vertical 1x8 or 1x10 you should leave between 25% and 33% of the surface area open - that is a pattern of 1x8 - 4" space - 1x8 - 4" space - 1x8......

I don't live with hurricane winds, but we do get 80MPH sometimes..... would give you a bit more security too and not have vinyl flapping about...

-J.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did find some solar screening. They advertise solar and wind break. It however is not cheap. Also found some stuff called Coolaroo shade fabric.

Nothing is cheap anymore. I will keep looking for an affordable solution.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you plant something?

Well, that is an idea but it would take too long to grow and I don't want to hinder driving into the barn any more than I have to. I haven't quite figure out what I am gonna do yet. Kind of low on my priority list right now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sorry I read it wrong, thought you were looking for protection from lifting in a high wind. I am a contractor and have head numerous quality tarps made over the years when I HAD to keep weather/water out of a project under construction. You can find a local tarp/tent awning company to make something to fit that will last a long time , made to fit and is easily retractable/ tied back or up. Nice looking building

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I read it wrong, thought you were looking for protection from lifting in a high wind. I am a contractor and have head numerous quality tarps made over the years when I HAD to keep weather/water out of a project under construction. You can find a local tarp/tent awning company to make something to fit that will last a long time , made to fit and is easily retractable/ tied back or up. Nice looking building
Thanks Manomet. I will keep that option in mind also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts