Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am in the planning stage of doing a building. Do I build a stick garage ( 2x6's )or pole barn? It's going to be 60x40. 1/4 of the space is for the tractor and the rest is for my shop and 57 chevy. Let's here the pro and cons:confused:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Scrap steel is at some type of incredible low,,,, maybe you need to incorporate some steel in it?? :dunno:

I found a tractor trailer load of I beams, and wide flange beams when I built my 57x45

There is not a nail in the building, there are some nails in a hardwood floor in one elevated area,,,

The ENTIRE frame was welded together,,, then sided,,, each vertical beam sets on a 3x3x3 cube of concrete,,,,

the door is eleven feet high, by 18 feet wide,,,

My daughter demanded that she get an indoor basketball court,,, :laugh:

I think I remember that there is about 100 pounds of welding rods in the building,,,

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Ok, so I am in the planning stage of doing a building. Do I build a stick garage ( 2x6's )or pole barn? It's going to be 60x40. 1/4 of the space is for the tractor and the rest is for my shop and 57 chevy. Let's here the pro and cons:confused:

I'm a big fan of pole buildings. They go up quick, the site doesn't have to be perfect, and the floor doesn't have to go in right away....or ever.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I'm a big fan of pole buildings. They go up quick, the site doesn't have to be perfect, and the floor doesn't have to go in right away....or ever.
I had my floor poured last,,, that was great, as it gave me extra time to plan all the piping I buried for electrical, plumbing, etc,,, :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I like all that 'red iron.' :good2:

I have no experience with pole barns; but I just don't care for the wood in the ground bit, even if its treated. I do know there are concrete posts that can be bought, and the wood posts attach to them above grade where they can't rot. I don't recall what they are called.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I like all that 'red iron.' :good2:

I have no experience with pole barns; but I just don't care for the wood in the ground bit, even if its treated. I do know there are concrete posts that can be bought, and the wood posts attach to them above grade where they can't rot. I don't recall what they are called.
How about this??

00G0G_3KVgRdu3WfE_600x450.jpg

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/grq/5091129549.html

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Big Fan number 2 of pole buildings. You just can not be any more cost effective per square foot.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I priced pole barns 20 years ago when I built my shop. I got 3-4 quotes, all within $400-$500 of each other for a 24x36 building. Then I had a local garage builder quote the same sized building. I got 2x4 studs every 16 inches to insulate and panel between and on top of, roof trusses every 24 inches to insulate and drywall on, five inch deep concrete floor, everything new and clean, all I had to do was start moving in and build work benches, wire, and finish out the inside.

The cement contractor showed up within two weeks as promised, formed the floor and footings/walls, poured the slab the next day. Two weeks later my pre-built garage showed up on a 24 foot straight truck and about five minutes later the erection crew showed up in a regular cab pickup. I had elec. Power, 120V15A run to the site for their tools & compressor. The three brothers were out of the truck and working within a minute or two of pulling in my driveway. The truck driver said these guys had built THOUSANDS of garages. They unloaded walls off the truck and set them on the concrete walls, they squared the building and they had all the trusses up and nailed down and were passing up sheets of sheeting all within the first HOUR! None of the three brothers had yet said a word to each other. The oldest brother had said Hi to me and confirmed I had adequate power to the cord, and he said a couple words to the truck driver. The truck was empty and gone in 1-1/2 hours, I went to work after about two hours and my shop was all sided except the peaks, sheeted, papered, and about 1/4 shingled on one side, windows & walk-in door installed, and the roll-up door about 1/3 installed. For some reason they were short a couple bundles of shingles otherwise I suspect they left my place around 1-2 PM. The next day when I got home the shop was complete!

The garage was just a few hundred Dollars more than the pole barns but for my end use was a tremendously better value. It turned out really nice, my shop even prompted my frugal Dad to find a garage builder down home to build him a 24x24 garage to consolidate his 3-4 shops into. He for absolutely sure would have built a pole barn if it was cheaper!

All depends on what you want to do with your building. I had to have a concrete floor, easy to insulate walls & ceiling, and I wanted it all ASAP. Took me almost 2 years to wire it and get money saved to have electrician connect it to power, then insulate and finish out interior took another 2-3 years. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger, like at least 50% bigger, maybe twice the size!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do with your building. I had to have a concrete floor, easy to insulate walls & ceiling, and I wanted it all ASAP. Took me almost 2 years to wire it and get money saved to have electrician connect it to power, then insulate and finish out interior took another 2-3 years. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger, like at least 50% bigger, maybe twice the size!
I agree anything smaller than 30 x 30, stick frame can be competitive. And, with the right crew, pole buildings can be erected very quickly also.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree anything smaller than 30 x 30, stick frame can be competitive. And, with the right crew, pole buildings can be erected very quickly also.
Town I used to work in 20 years ago, I was sitting in the Subway sandwich shop eating lunch one day when I really took a look at the garage across the street. There were TWO 16 foot wide roll up doors, plus a 3 ft wide walk thru door in the 6-8 foot wide wall between the two roll-up doors, plus 4 feet from the corners to the roll-up doors on each side.

So the garage was about 48 feet wide, not sure how long it was. It may have had center supports for the trusses. There were no windows or vents in the peaks but could have had an upper level with a lot of usable space.

Not sure how the two styles of construction compare cost wise now but I suspect they have both gone up about the same percentage in the last 20 years.

If I was building for purely storage for lots of huge equipment I'd go pole barn. Skip the concrete and just use crushed rock for floor. But if I was building shop space I'd try REALLY hard to justify a clear span steel truss building like a Butler. I was the driver of one of two ready-mix trucks that poured the floor in a Butler about 60x120, poured 150 yards of concrete in roughly 4 hours from our batch plant a mile away. Local feed/seed company warehouse for bagged feed/seed all in paper bags. The trusses were set on top of poured concrete piers 6 feet up the walls, not sure how thick the concrete walls were between the piers, probably 8 inches. Would save a bunch of wear & tear on the walls both inside & outside.

·
Registered
395 Posts
....My only complaint is I wish it was bigger, like at least 50% bigger, maybe twice the size!
That's a common complaint is seems... My dad built a 80'x84' pole barn as a shop and once it was done, we immediately decided it wasn't big enough so we had a 24'x36' addition built on for my brother's downdraft paint booth and space for a automotive frame rack.

I want to build a 40'x60' at some point and everyone in NC I tell that to thinks I'm nuts. By the time it goes up, there's a good possibility that it will be even bigger!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I want to build a 40'x60' at some point and everyone in NC I tell that to thinks I'm nuts. By the time it goes up, there's a good possibility that it will be even bigger!:thumbup1gif:
When I built my building it was planned at 50x96. When I went in and signed the order it was 50x104.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Do you wish you went bigger yet Randy?
Ya know Matt, there was a point a few years ago I did think that. But now have since been doing some down sizing and getting rid of stuff I know longer have a need for and just junk. I think I have settled in now and am very content with the building size. I am thinking of adding one more 4-post lift to store a car on just for better organization. So, to answer your question, no I do not need it bigger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for not replying sooner

I can not get a quote from any carpenters or the pole building people. We had so much rain that every one is 6 weeks behind and to busy to get back to me. It rained last night and the dry wall guys did not show up and dry wall my house.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I do not.

Finally got quotes back. They start next week with the foundation for the stick built garage. I will start a thread this weekend!

I'm going 40 x 60. 12 foot walls with 2 x 6 studs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts