Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did do a search but didn't find...anyone know if Tarter (Tractor supply) and Cosmo (Agri supply) spreaders are related? When I bought I was in a hurry (spelled Winta) and couldn't find/afford a Tarter with stainless business ends. Now I find Cosmo has stainless disc, vanes, agitator/entrainer. I'm doing surgery on my Tarter thanks to 2 years of rocksalt (even with rinsing when it wasn't blue-finger weather) - using delicate tools like, fire, cutoff wheel (I think an angle grinder at the bottom of a spreader cone had got to be more fun than Fortnight!!).

My point (yup-had one) the hole spacing for a Cosmo gearbox (PTO coupling fused on mine) identical. Output shaft length and diameter also supposedly an exact match.

So, think I can transplant the Cosmo gearbox then retool with Cosmo: disc, agitator, entrainer, tumbler bar inside the Tarter barrel and go?
Unless somebody knows otherwise, Im going all in!

Oh yeah, think I dress it up with a (replaceable) stainless skin over the deflector plate to save the rock salt/fertilizer doing a slow sandblast on my repaint job...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I can't say for sure that the two spreaders you're talking about are related, but it wouldn't surprise me. Tarter puts other names on a lot of the stuff they manufacture as do other manufacturers of tractor implements.

At least you were able to find a gear box and other parts that will fit your spreader!! That's a good thing!! :good2:

Are you going to post any "before" and "after" pictures of the spreader rehab?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't get any before or during demo shots - the gopro cam probably wouldn't have fit in the cone with me and the grinder! Ive pulled the trigger and ordered the parts. Once here I'll get pics of the rehab. and (hopefully) the re-finished product.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To make amends for no before pictures: the new parts arrived today, heres side-by-sides with references.
In two posts due to size. you'll see hole spacing on gearboxes match, disc size and output shaft diameter match.
The new gearbox output shaft is shorter until you sleeve on the intended "entrainer" which then gives it a 1.5 inch advantage in the bin.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last view (despite the cluttered workbench - if a cluttered bench is a sign of a cluttered mind...) shows the full assembly with tumbler bar which I could never seem to get for the Tarter setup. Surgery will be scheduled once I secure appropriate Stainless fasteners for ALL. Def not gonna play the "bump and grind" game again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stainless was obtained and surgery scheduled.
Gearbox replaces OEM (Tarter)
Disc mounted with 5/16-18 2" stainless Hex
The entrainer does need to pass through the bottom of the hopper so the original shaft hole was enlarged with 1.75 chassis punch (with existing hole and no way to mount a wood block, centering a drill would be too much fun!
Entrainer bolts below the hopper see hardware above.
lower agitator and rubber seal boot added per pictorial on Cosmo manual online.
tumbler bolted in again with stainless.

Longest task was punching out the hole. All told about 40 minutes labor!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts