Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone belong to the Harbor Freight Inside Track? I was wondering if it was worth what they are asking. Thanks

·
Administrator
17,991 Posts
I don't know what it cost's to "join", but for me personally I can't imagine buying enough stuff there to ever make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
This goes along with Amazon Prime, Costco, and the like. I refuse to pay a business money for the privilege to buy from them.
I am with you, no Sam's club, Costco for me, but the wife bought into Amazon Prime. She says the free shipping pays for the membership :dunno:. I wouldn't have, but she did

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering about the secret discounts, and how good they might be.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
I am with you, no Sam's club, Costco for me, but the wife bought into Amazon Prime. She says the free shipping pays for the membership :dunno:. I wouldn't have, but she did
I still get free shipping from Amazon - just have to gather a $35 order which isn't hard to do. I usually get my order within 7 days. So I don't know how anyone can justify the $99 for prime - it's just for the impatient I guess....

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I still get free shipping from Amazon - just have to gather a $35 order which isn't hard to do. I usually get my order within 7 days. So I don't know how anyone can justify the $99 for prime - it's just for the impatient I guess....
We use Prime Video and Prime Music.

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
We use Prime Video and Prime Music.
I am VERY disappointed with Prime video. Example... here are some movies just recently added... 2001 - Space Odyssey, Ocean's Eleven, Twister, Kill Bill.

Need I say more?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I am VERY disappointed with Prime video. Example... here are some movies just recently added... 2001 - Space Odyssey, Ocean's Eleven, Twister, Kill Bill.

Need I say more?

I'm curious about Prime Video. We just got a Roku, and are watching Game of Thrones until our HBO free trial runs out. I'd like to see the new Top Gear show that's on Amazon, but not sure what else they have. I hate paying for TV, but I'm especially hesitant to pay for a whole video service just to see one show.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
I'm curious about Prime Video. We just got a Roku, and are watching Game of Thrones until our HBO free trial runs out. I'd like to see the new Top Gear show that's on Amazon, but not sure what else they have. I hate paying for TV, but I'm especially hesitant to pay for a whole video service just to see one show.
I did extensive searching on both Amazon and Hulu. I know it's a personal preference what we each like to watch, but I couldn't find more than 1 or 2 shows on each that I like. Netflix on the other hand is just right for me - I will never run out of shows that interest me. And I am not a movie watcher but prefer TV shows with seasons and episodes - there are a ton of them on Netflix.

I even did a 30 day free trial with Hulu and just didn't find anything that interested me. Plus, they have commercials which I despise even though they are quite limited on Hulu.

Since you now have a Roku unit there are hundreds of channels other than the big 3. A lot are free - some are with a subscription - a lot are just junk. But I found a few free ones like Smithsonian Channel which is awesome along with A&E and a couple others. It takes time to sift through all the channels but there are some great free ones.

If you put the Netflix app on your phone you can always scan the listing while you might have some down time at work - when you add a show from your mobile device to your watch list it will automatically show up on your Roku in your Netflix watch list.

The Roku unit was one of my best and most used purchases since having to stay home all the time.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
We tossed the Roku in favor of the Chromecast. Best $35 I've spent on entertainment in awhile. It is preloaded with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and other applications. Plus you can put anything you are looking at on your Chrome browser up on the screen.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
Since she does not make a big deal about what I spend on green things, I don't make a big deal about her Amazon Prime. I never would have got it. But I am CHEAP :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
In this household the prime pays for itself many times over. Most anything I/we want can be purchase from Amazon. Find an item you want then go to amazon, find it there and buy it.
Sort of like the safety glasses Kennyd turned us onto.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
We tossed the Roku in favor of the Chromecast. Best $35 I've spent on entertainment in awhile. It is preloaded with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and other applications. Plus you can put anything you are looking at on your Chrome browser up on the screen.
That seems like a good idea until Gizmo posts a hot tub pic.:lol:

I'm really considering dumping cable. We have 1 Internet connected TV and 5 TVs total.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
In this household the prime pays for itself many times over. Most anything I/we want can be purchase from Amazon. Find an item you want then go to amazon, find it there and buy it.
I do the same thing without the $99 fee. I always have a couple small items in my cart that we regularly use - if I need something else, just add a couple things to get the $35 minimum and get the free shipping.

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
I do the same thing without the $99 fee. I always have a couple small items in my cart that we regularly use - if I need something else, just add a couple things to get the $35 minimum and get the free shipping.
That's what I used to do. However, Amazon has been pulling a few dirty tricks lately. There are some medical supplies that we get from Amazon which are very difficult to find locally. Not only can we get them from Amazon, the price is better too. After placing several orders I go in to re-order and suddenly Amazon has made these items orderable by Prime members only. Huh? I've noticed in a few other items as well.

I really needed the items so was kind if forced to sign up for Prime. I feel like Amazon is playing games.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
That's what I used to do. However, Amazon has been pulling a few dirty tricks lately. There are some medical supplies that we get from Amazon which are very difficult to find locally. Not only can we get them from Amazon, the price is better too. After placing several orders I go in to re-order and suddenly Amazon has made these items orderable by Prime members only. Huh? I've noticed in a few other items as well.

I really needed the items so was kind if forced to sign up for Prime. I feel like Amazon is playing games.
I've seen some of that about "Prime Only" stuff.

It's all about marketing which they are very good at. Taking Prime as an example -

You pay the $99 fee for Prime. Now when you need something, you think "I paid for Prime so I will order it from Amazon". I have found a lot of better prices for stuff from other very good vendors.

For example, for TV's, computers (including Apple which Amazon doesn't carry), rifle scopes, etc. B&H has the same or better price, free expeditied shipping and no sales tax for me. And when they say expedited shipping they actually use UPS 2nd day and if you order by 2pm I think it goes out their door the same day. When Amazon says "free 2 day shipping" that means it goes out their door within 2 days - not 2 day shipping. They will still use UPS or FedEx "slow-post" which takes ~5 days from Kentucky to here.

So the Amazon Prime is a gold mine of marketting for them. They get you to pay the $99 which makes you automatically buy from them without checking anywhere else for price or shipping.

B&H, Staples, Best Buy, amd many others have better deals for what they carry without having to pay any fee.

To each their own - if you want to pay $100 to fulfill your impatient ways, so be it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We have a Costco membership. I go through 200+ lbs of pork belly a year. I save $1.80 per pound at Costco vs my other local options. The $360 per year savings more than justify the membership price. My net savings is $300 per year after I pay for the membership on the pork belly alone. I think that anyone would be crazy to not buy a membership to save that much money.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
Prime has worked very well for us. Usually have stuff on my doorstep the second day, not a week later. Prices are pretty good. Some things are ridiculous when you do some price checking. Amazon can be pretty darn cheap or even really expensive on certain items. You have to do some research prior to the purchase.

I feel like it's worth the dollars to join for us. It may not be for you and that's ok. :good2:

I agree with the Amazon may be playing tricks. I think they hold orders for a few days if you're not Prime before processing it. Orders were about a week out before I joined. I've been inside a couple of the distribution centers. They are extremely efficient and fast. I don't know why it would take longer to process a regular order vs. a Prime order. :unknown: But then again, I'm not familiar with their business practices or procedures.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
So, no one has an HF Inside Track account? I know we kinda sidetracked this. I'm interested in what you get for the money, not so much in joining.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts