1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Well the ratings folks are giving it seems to indicate it's decent. Usually it's the solenoids on a winch that go bad. If these are replaceable/serviceable then it might be worth the risk. If you don't need a 5k winch, Northern tool has a 2k Warn for similar money. You will be hard pressed to get 5k worth of pull with it hooked to your tractor.

Reactions: Robnik and BigJim55

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Warns aren't what they used to be.

Badlands winches actually have a pretty strong following in the "I care about what it does when I use it, not what my friends think about the brand" crowd. For what you pay, you get a lot of tug.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Warns aren't what they used to be.

Badlands winches actually have a pretty strong following in the "I care about what it does when I use it, not what my friends think about the brand" crowd. For what you pay, you get a lot of tug.
I have had really good luck with my Warn, which is why I recommended that brand. It's rated at 3750lbs and has always worked, the ATV Warn at Northern is a 2k model. I can't say that about the 17k Superwinch I have on the front bumper of my truck which is about 8 years newer. Go figure.

One other thing to be concerned about is to make sure the winch plate you use is up to the task. I had a 9.5k Superwinch I bolted up to a Harbor Freight winch plate that slid into a receiver. First I used it twisted the winch plate and cracked the housing on the winch. I was winching a downed tree so it was well within it's capability. The winch plate, even though it said it was good for a 10k winch was not.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I know I won't be able to "use" the rated 5,000 lb with my tractor. I was considering the lesser 3,500 lb model, but figured the 3/16" cable wouldn't hold up as well as the 1/4". The more I think about it, either size would probably work just fine, but a bigger winch for another 40 bucks isn't bad.

I've read too, that Warn is not what it used to be. I had them on my Jeeps some 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Right, 8 years ago Warns were built better. I got a closeout model of one of their 3500# models about 6 years ago and the line that replaced them was much less robustly built.
Yeah everything was built better 8 years ago. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
One thing I would watch is that it sounds like you are going to mount this to a 3pt. I would just say watch what angles you are pulling at. Depending on the angle that you are pulling you might have some issues mounting it there. Also depending on how much you are running it, you may drain your battery faster than it can charge.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Sorry to hear about the down fall of Warn. I had a 12,000 lb back in the early 80's that was a pulling machine.

Reactions: Robnik and BigJim55

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have that exact winch on the front of my Can Am Commander. It has not let me down yet after a year of abuse. It has been submerged in mud and water and was still able to pull my 1600lb STUCK Commander out of the mud pit many times. I also used it to pull pretty large logs before I had my 1023E. Its pretty big and heavy but does have plenty of pulling power. I did replace the cable with a synthetic line as I kinked the heck out of the steel cable and it was unsafe to use after that. The cycle time is a little slow but not too bad and the controller is really nice. Its relatively easy to install and the switches seem of high quality. I would recommend it especially for the price.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I have the 12,000# Badlands winch from HF and have been very happy with it, but I admit I have not used it much. I also have the HF 2 inch receiver winch mount. I have 2 inch receivers on both the front and rear of my F250. Pretty handy in winching something up on my gooseneck trailer. I had just bought it when I had the opportunity to see a 3br house winched over onto a new foundation using two of the same 12,000# Badlands winches. Made a believer out of me. They used a snatch block to double the pulling power, but it worked fine.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts