Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I performed the fluid/filter change on the transaxle and front axle on my x758 last weekend. The manual says to remove the check plugs at the top of either side of the front hubs, and fill the front axle first with a certain amount of fluid until you can see oil inside the hub housings via the check plug holes. Did that, and then refilled the transaxle as well. Am I correct in that once you fill the front axle than the only checking of hydraulic fluid is done from the dipstick on the transaxle? You don't worry about how much oil is in the front hubs after that from what I can see. Reason I ask is because after running it to distribute fluid evenly, I pulled the check plugs on the front hubs again and oil ran out, like it was overfull. So, if I'm understanding the system correctly, that is only because oil from the transaxle can run into the front axle via the lines, correct? So in that case there is no need to manage oil level in the front separately like a normal MFWD machine. Thoughts?

Rick

·
Registered
2021 X738
57 Posts
I believe you are correct. I have interpreted it the same way. Seems you add the fluid just to get it there faster than letting it push it there itself and having to refill the transaxle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's all one oil system.
Oil pressure to run the (2) front wheel motors is supplied by pump in transaxle.

Front won't drain back by gravity, so when changing the oil the front needs to be opened/drained separately.

When the tractor is driven, the oil flow driving the front motors is also forcing oil to return to the rear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My interpretation also. I did the same process as you out of an abundance of curiosity. I don't recall if a torque was provided for the front fill ports. I did have a slight pressure leak after my fluid change. The bucket on the loader would drop about 6 inches a day. It turned out it was the fill plug that needed a little more torque and the bucket no longer drops if left elevated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, thanks all! :)

Rick

Reactions: etcallhome
1 - 5 of 5 Posts