Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1025r that has 20 hours on it. I purchased the HH tooth bar and started using it today. Digging in the dirt is great, no issues and it makes a big difference. But when I try to use it on digging out some smaller stumps the damn thing keeps falling off. Now I am no small dude, and I cranked on the set screws with a long handled ratchet so its on there as tight as I can go. But the bar will not stay put when working with brush.
And to make things worse, since I have been cranking on the set screws, one of them is starting to round off where the allen bit goes. Do I need to drill divots where the screws go so they have something to bite into?

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
That’s strange, I’ve never had mine even come loose, but I’m intrigued to to know comes of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If that has allen wrench set screws, in my opinion, it is not strong enough????? It sure would not work on my 4066R.

Dave

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
If that has allen wrench set screws, in my opinion, it is not strong enough????? It sure would not work on my 4066R.

Dave
Could be Dave, but the OP stated it’s on a 1025, but yes they have Allen bolts and I’ve done some serious digging and never had them come loose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta be clear that they are not coming off when digging, but come off when I am working on a small stump that is less than 6" in diameter. Basically I am digging into the ground near the base of the stump and then trying to lift and pry the stump out. This is when the toothbar will be laying in the ground when I lift the bucket up.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I have wanted a tooth bar for some time for my 4066R, but it would have to use bolts. My neighbor has one on his 3 series Kubota and it has the bolts. It has never come off. Since I also have the SSQA brackets on my loader, I could use his bucket, but I am afraid I would tear it up as it is much lighter duty than mine. I have the extra heavy duty skid steer bucket on mine. I was at an auction some time back when they had a new 6ft tooth bar, but it went for more money than I was willing to pay for it.

Dave

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
I gotta be clear that they are not coming off when digging, but come off when I am working on a small stump that is less than 6" in diameter. Basically I am digging into the ground near the base of the stump and then trying to lift and pry the stump out. This is when the toothbar will be laying in the ground when I lift the bucket up.
Still shouldn’t be, I have to beat mine off with a hammer after each use, honestly don’t know what it could be. So the Allen bolts themselves are loosening up?

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
Have you brought it Greg's attention? Maybe he got a bad run of screws?

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts

Dave
It should not be an issue. The allen fasteners only keep the toothbar from falling off under its own weight. Anytime you are digging, the toothbar is being pushed onto the bucket edge and held in place by the notches behind the teeth.

Same with a bolt on toothbar. Those two bolts on the ends of the bucket just keep it from "falling off". The digging strength of the toothbar comes from the way the channel locks over the edge of the bucket.

That's why sometimes after heavy use the toothbar will be wedged so hard into the bucket cutting edge that you need to hammer it off.

I suspect there might be something on the OP's setup that is preventing the HH toothbar from seating all the way onto the bucket edge.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The "set screws" are 5/8" bolts that are supposed to be tightened to 40 ft lbs, which isn't so tight that it's not easily done with a 3/8" ratchet.

If you have visible clearance (they're meant to fit up to 1/2" cutter bars) between the top clamping bar and the bucket, then you're just exerting too much leverage when you curl the bucket for the small contact area of the screws. Try putting a shim (a length of 1/4" bar stock?) on the underneath side such that you have contact between the clamp bar and the bucket on the top before you tighten the screws.

EDIT: Like jgayman says, the screws are just to keep the bar from sliding off. Sounds like they're the only thing holding it on.

Al

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
The "set screws" are 5/8" bolts that are supposed to be tightened to 40 ft lbs, which isn't so tight that it's not easily done with a 3/8" ratchet.

If you have visible clearance (they're meant to fit up to 1/2" cutter bars) between the top clamping bar and the bucket, then you're just exerting too much leverage when you curl the bucket for the small contact area of the screws. Try putting a shim (a length of 1/4" bar stock?) on the underneath side such that you have contact between the clamp bar and the bucket on the top before you tighten the screws.

EDIT: Like jgayman says, the screws are just to keep the bar from sliding off. Sounds like they're the only thing holding it on.

Al
That is incorrect Al. The HH bar has a "set screw" at each tooth shank. See this video for details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9d251yffbY&ab_channel=BlendedFarms,LLC

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
Yes. I'm sorry if I implied otherwise?

Al
It read to me like you were describing a regular toothbar that was retained on the sides with two 5/8" bolts. Must just be the way I read it, sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
No issues here so far. I haven't done much of any "hardcore" digging. But what I have been in has not been an issue. Maybe these pics will shed some light for ya?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
No issues here so far. I haven't done much of any "hardcore" digging. But what I have been in has not been an issue. Maybe these pics will shed some light for ya?
Or any digging at all it would appear :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
It doesn't look like that bucket and toothbar has even touched the dirt yet. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
:lolol: Now Now. That's when it was new! It has "dirt" on it now.. When I got my tractor they were supposed to give me a 53" bucket. They gave me a 49" and I didn't catch it until my tooth bar came in a couple months later. Since this picture I have scratched the bucket a little... :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
:lolol: Now Now. That's when it was new! It has "dirt" on it now.. When I got my tractor they were supposed to give me a 53" bucket. They gave me a 49" and I didn't catch it until my tooth bar came in a couple months later. Since this picture I have scratched the bucket a little... :mocking:
Ok... we'll let it slide then. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts