Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I just don't see how this could happen. I have pried, pulled, and pushed this toothbar every which way possible. I've had it off and on many times. I don't get very serious when tightening. I snug them, but not '40 lbs'.

I would love to see a photo of the type of prying you are doing. Some sort of 'action shot' or video would be great.

Tim

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Something doesn’t seem right here. I too have a HH tooth bar and have never had it come loose. Mine has been used in wooded areas,so it’s seen it’s share of roots and stumps. Are you sure the set screws are tightening down on the bucket ? I’m thinking the set screws maybe missing the bucket, either by the tooth bar being installed incorrectly or a defective tooth bar. I have only removed mine a few times. I needed to help it off with a few hammer taps . I used a 3/8 impact wrench, so may have over tightened mine.:dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't have any action shots of it in action, but basically I am digging down into the dirt in front of the stump then trying to curl the bucket up. My set screws are set way above 40 lbs and they are even below the surface of the toothbar. I may have had some dirt on the cutting edge before I put it on the first time, so I cleaned it all before placing the bar back on. I am hoping this is the issue.
I will say this only happens when using it very hard and not really in a way that it is designed for so I can't complain on that. It really is a good investment and takes the bucket to a whole different level as far as performance. I definitely recommend this for any 1025R owner.
Next on my list is some forks, just don't have the room to store all the toys!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ve got over 400 hrs on my HH toothbar I use on my 2025R. I am constantly prying with it as I remove very large stumps (24”+) and boulders from my property. If I’m honest, I’d classify it more abuse than use...my toothbar is as tight on the bucket today as it was the day I installed it, and I’ve never once had to retighten any of the set screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I kinda wonder if all that installation torque has yielded the metal and it just keeps bending more and more as he uses it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have any action shots of it in action, but basically I am digging down into the dirt in front of the stump then trying to curl the bucket up. My set screws are set way above 40 lbs and they are even below the surface of the toothbar. I may have had some dirt on the cutting edge before I put it on the first time, so I cleaned it all before placing the bar back on. I am hoping this is the issue.
I will say this only happens when using it very hard and not really in a way that it is designed for so I can't complain on that. It really is a good investment and takes the bucket to a whole different level as far as performance. I definitely recommend this for any 1025R owner.
Next on my list is some forks, just don't have the room to store all the toys!
I can say I've run into the same issue with the HH toothbar. Immediately after installing it I tried digging up some rocks in my soil and it came off. I put it back on, tightened it as hard as I could, dug some more, and it popped off again. I put it back on a third time, and am waiting until I have time to bolt it on before I dig anymore rocks.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I can say I've run into the same issue with the HH toothbar. Immediately after installing it I tried digging up some rocks in my soil and it came off. I put it back on, tightened it as hard as I could, dug some more, and it popped off again. I put it back on a third time, and am waiting until I have time to bolt it on before I dig anymore rocks.
Could you post a couple of pictures of it mounted on the bucket? Fairly close ups?

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don’t own one, but it sounds like that the toothbar might not be seated all the way back on the cutting edge of the bucket. If there is a gap between the cutting edge and the toothbar, I would think the bar would eventually work loose with some heavy work. It’s just a thought........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hopefully this issue gets worked out and solved before I purchase one. :thumbup1gif::munch:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
20180825_152235_resized.jpg
20180825_152242_resized.jpg
Here are photos of my tooth bar installed. Unlike most I have seen, my bolts are counter sunk more than the others. When I first got this, I did not use a torque wrench and I really tightened them down. I would like to think that the material is thick enough on the shank that the teeth slide onto that it would not bend or spread out due from the force of the allen bolt. The paint is not cracked showing movement of the metal.
Greg did send me a new bolt and a quick explanation that over torquing may actually increase the chance of the bar popping off, which makes sense to me as I have seen this before trying to clamp up item that are not exactly flush.
Got a torque wrench from Harbor Freight and torqued them to 40 lbs per Gregs instructions. Just don't have any projects to "dig into".

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Is it just me, or is there a good sized gap on the rear of the toothbar inside the bucket?
Seems like this would keep material from dumping completely.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
There is a very good sized gap on the backside of the toothbar, and material does get help up by it. Maybe mine is bent, i should go out and measure the gap on the back.

After looking at some of these pictures and this video, I am starting to think that my toothbar has too large of an opening between the bottom of the shank and the top where the bolt is. Look at how deep the bolts are in the shank to get a grip on the bucket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Look like they may be using different shanks now. Looking at these pictures side by side, the shape and curves of mine are different than the other which looks like it lays flatter. Forge markings are also different and mine look like they have a bigger hump on the shanks.
The Pengo shanks on the right also seem to be thicker on the back side which makes the bar underneath lay flatter on the bucket. Now I am starting to get concerned.......Tim, your videos helped sway me into buying one of these. Can you take a picture similar to mine at the same angle? I am curious if you have the Pengo shanks or the style I have? How about anybody else that says theirs have never popped off?

20180825_152242_resized.jpg DSCF6206-1-4.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Look like they may be using different shanks now. Looking at these pictures side by side, the shape and curves of mine are different than the other which looks like it lays flatter. Forge markings are also different and mine look like they have a bigger hump on the shanks.
The Pengo shanks on the right also seem to be thicker on the back side which makes the bar underneath lay flatter on the bucket. Now I am starting to get concerned.......Tim, your videos helped sway me into buying one of these. Can you take a picture similar to mine at the same angle? I am curious if you have the Pengo shanks or the style I have? How about anybody else that says theirs have never popped off?

I'm not sure what we are looking at. Which photo is yours and what is the other one?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm not sure what we are looking at. Which photo is yours and what is the other one?
The photo on the left is mine, and the one on the right is a stock photo. Notice how the shanks in the left photo have a larger hump in them, and the rear is thinner? I think the different style shank I have is causing fitment issues since there is a larger gap between the bucket and the Heavy Hitch product. This is the reason the set screws go in much deeper on my shanks versus apparently everybody elses.
Hopefully Heavy Hitch chime in here. Obviously the different style shanks I have are causing issues with my setup. Looks like all the others are Pengo Shanks. Not sure what mine are but they are different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I decided to give this another go today before attempting to bolt it on. I didn't take a before picture, but it did actually pop off today digging some rock.

I set the toothbar back on, in the exact orientation I had it installed before. Perhaps I tightened it too much as others have suggested? I will put a torque wrench on it and ensure it's no more than 40lb-ft.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looks like you have the same shanks that I do. They do not say Pengo on the top like the others. Is it a coincidence that me and Farmer Finn have different shanks than the rest of you, and ours are the only ones popping off? I guess I will wait until I hear back from Heavy Hitch. I hope this can be rectified since this is a decent amount of money.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks like there is more of the bucket edge showing on the Pengo shanks (ie the bar is set farther back into the bucket, maybe that also helps it stay on better?)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts