Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a HH toothbar, too. I have not yet installed it but I will get it on this week and report back on how it works. I do not have the Pengo shanks, either. I am hoping that it stays on :pray::pray:

Here are a couple pics of my toothbar IMG_5112.JPG IMG_5113.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here is the backside with it mounted and set at 40 lbs torque. I just feel like these shanks are at too far of an angle so the bar cannot lay flat enough to counter any pressure on the bar. 20180826_131432.jpg

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
I don't have a clue what a Pengo shank is, is it a brand, like the company that actually makes the shanks :dunno: I will say this, the fitment doesn't look as good as mine so I'll agree that this might be the issue, I've had mine for over a year and it gets a lot of use. It has never come off, matter of fact, like I stated earlier, I have to give mine a couple of wacks with a hammer to remove it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have a clue what a Pengo shank is, is it a brand, like the company that actually makes the shanks :dunno: I will say this, the fitment doesn't look as good as mine so I'll agree that this might be the issue, I've had mine for over a year and it gets a lot of use. It has never come off, matter of fact, like I stated earlier, I have to give mine a couple of wacks with a hammer to remove it.
I think you are correct and that it must be a brand. The word Pengo is on the top of the shanks of some of the toothbars and not on the others (mine included). That is why I took a picture of the side of the shanks on my toothbar.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
I think you are correct and that it must be a brand. The word Pengo is on the top of the shanks of some of the toothbars and not on the others (mine included). That is why I took a picture of the side of the shanks on my toothbar.
Well crap, now you're going to make walk out in the pouring rain to have a look. :boat:
:lol:

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
Well, there it is

And no, the pic is not upside down, the tooth bar is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Look like they may be using different shanks now. Looking at these pictures side by side, the shape and curves of mine are different than the other which looks like it lays flatter. Forge markings are also different and mine look like they have a bigger hump on the shanks.
The Pengo shanks on the right also seem to be thicker on the back side which makes the bar underneath lay flatter on the bucket. Now I am starting to get concerned.......Tim, your videos helped sway me into buying one of these. Can you take a picture similar to mine at the same angle? I am curious if you have the Pengo shanks or the style I have? How about anybody else that says theirs have never popped off?
I've got the "Pengo" shanks. Looks like someone else beat me to the photos :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I made the suggestion earlier that perhaps the bar had yielded due to over torquing.
It looks to me that the thinnest section is on the underside of the teeth.
If the metal had bent there it could lead to the top of the bar being too high as shown in your pic.
Check with the manufacture and see if they feel the bottom of the teeth that hug the bottom of your bucket cutting edge would tolerate a little hammer work to create a snug fit prior to tightening the bolts.
Maybe heat would be required to prevent cracking?

According to a chart on Engineers Edge, a dry 3/8-16 bolt torqued to 44 ft lbs will create nearly 6974 lbs of clamping force.
You could only imagine what kind of force is supplied if you really gave her the crank.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Pengo shanks is what i bought, along with the teeth to build my own tooth bar, several yrs ago.

now i bought a piece of flat stock that was as wide as my shanks was long. i didn't want my shanks sticking past the flat plate-like how HH shows on his design. just me-
i don't have a close up of mine, like the others do. but i bolt mine on the sides of bucket. when its been on for a while-i too have to get the sledge out, to get it loose, and no wear as of yet, from the bolt holes on side of bucket.

pretty sure i paid $9 a piece for the shanks -and same for the teeth then. i bought one extra set-as ya never know-might tear one up.:lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Am I the only one who is a little surprised that HH has not chimed in on this thread?
Agree, especially since it has been a week. But... I'm also wondering if the OP has contacted HH directly about the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Am I the only one who is a little surprised that HH has not chimed in on this thread?
Agree, especially since it has been a week. But... I'm also wondering if the OP has contacted HH directly about the problem.
Not OP, but I didn't contact HH as I just assumed it was the way it was and bolting it on would fix it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ya.. Something is up with your toothy.. That gap at the back shouldn't be there in my opinion. If it is already "leaning forward" force will pop that thing right off as you are seeing. Heck, it ALMOST appears like you can see that the tooth bar is sitting on the "roll" at the end of the bucket in the picture of you measuring the gap..:dunno: I am not near my tractor right now or I would se the bar on and snap some more pics but look at the difference that you CAN see in my photos. My bar sits flat against the bucket in the back, MAYBE an 1/8" gap or 3/16" MAYBE going off memory. The pictures on the left compare your tooth bar (right side) to my tooth bar (left side) wish I had a better angle on my for ya.. Again, mine in the right hand picture WITH "DIRT"!! :mocking: I too am concerned that HH has not chimed in.:nunu:

Another thing I just noticed is look at the difference in placement of the tooth bar in reference to the END of the cutting edge.. My bar sits back far enough that you can see the end of the taper on the cutting edges. yours appears covered by the bar? you can see it best in the last pic I posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Folks, Greg has been trying to respond to this thread. However, he can not login to GTT at present (for the last 5 days).
He is working with tech support to resolve this problem.

Meanwhile, please be patient. Greg has the best customer support I’ve seen. He’ll get it resolved.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Folks, Greg has been trying to respond to this thread. However, he can not login to GTT at present (for the last 5 days).

Meanwhile, please be patient. Greg has the best customer support I’ve seen. He’ll get it resolved.
Seeing as I don't have one, this is just my thoughts. HH should just send the OP another one and then the OP can use the same box to send his back to HH and they can check it out and see if there is something wrong and what's wrong. Looks to me like the OP's set screws are to far forward on the shank.

·
Administrator
17,068 Posts

Correct. Greg contacted me this morning about this, I just reset his password so he should be checking in soon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello All,
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town in a remote area with limited internet and was having a heck of time logging on. Thank you Kenny for getting me back on track! As for the toothbar, I am having a replacement sent out so we can take a closer look at what is going on and will report back once I know. FarmerFinn, please PM or call me to discuss your issue so we can get to the bottom of it. We have built and sold over 790 toothbars just this year using this style shank and have not had any issues of them falling off other than not tightening the set screws enough or over tightening. 30-40ft pounds is the sweet spot:bigthumb: One way or another, we'll get it figured out!:good2:

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
And this is why I like Heavy Hitch ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ top notch customer service. :good2:

·
Registered
571 Posts
And this is why I like Heavy Hitch ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ top notch customer service. :good2:
Yep. Greg meets his customers MORE than halfway!

:bigthumb:

:hi:

41 - 60 of 77 Posts