Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've been looking at UTV's... gators, mules, rhinos (oh my....) and such. I have lots of stuff to move about, and they look great.

But I've been thinking: For about the price of a pre-owned UTV, I can get a small (maybe 5 X 8) dump trailer. They have a much larger payload, can dump, and I can pull one with my JD 1025R.... so I get the work done.

I need to kick this around a bit. But I'm liking the idea of a dump trailer more and more for my 1025... it won't be as much fun as the UTV, of course - but I'll haul more and get the work done faster.

Talking firewood, brush, manure, gravel and material hauling, remodeling construction stuff, etc.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks

- Ken

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Mo2vation said:
Hi!

I've been looking at UTV's... gators, mules, rhinos (oh my....) and such. I have lots of stuff to move about, and they look great.

do not get the new Rhino 700's if you plan on doing any serious work. the axles and bearings are not made for a bunch of load and will break eventually. also, the front suspension will lose a bunch of tension and lower the front end to about 8" of clearance no matter what you do.

that said, the older rhino 660's are fine machines. i have one of the first ones made (MY2004) and never had an issue with it except the CDI going out and the stator burned up- which is expected after several thousand miles of hills, streams and more. if you do get a rhino, get the 660 model or the smaller 450. did i mention those two models are carbureted? nice and easy to work on and run well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had a Honda UTV and really liked it. However, I started to feel guilty to have that much $ tied up in it and only used it once in a while. In 2 years I only put on a couple hundred miles. For that reason I sold it and just rely on my tractor and loader (both of which I have anyway) to do what yard chores that need something hauled around. Just my thoughts. Best of luck!

·
Registered
927 Posts
But you know, Randy, there are so many things, money can't buy...

In Germany we say: Das letzte Hemd hat keine Taschen... (the last shirt has no pockets)

·
Administrator
17,090 Posts
The problem as I see it with a dump "trailer" for use with a tractor, is that they are difficult to load when not hooked to anything.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
Bought our first Gator in 2005,,,,,,,,,SOLD every yard trailer we had, which was 3.
Most UTV's have dump capabilities. Our old CX Gator had an electric dump.
IMO,
Trailers and working around the house are a PITA.
Useful trailers that are big enough are not conducive to yard work or lawn friendly.
Unhooking and hooking up a trailer gets old quick. Hookup trailer, move trailer, unhook the trailer, use tractor, load trailer, hookup trailer, move trailer.

You now have a FEL which you will find in real life IS a trailer.

How much property do you own?
I know with 8 acres our UTV is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
The problem as I see it with a dump "trailer" for use with a tractor, is that they are difficult to load when not hooked to anything.
That too ↑↑↑ :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Buy a UTV.
Buy a dump trailer.
Hook a dump trailer up to UTV.
Load the dump trailer with your tractor.

All problems are solved, yes? :laugh:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
True. I put some thought into this. I would opt for one of these for that reason -

countrymfg_2265_9980920.gif

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
Buy a UTV.
Buy a dump trailer.
Hook a dump trailer up to UTV.
Load the dump trailer with your tractor.

All problems are solved, yes? :laugh:
Now there's a guy who knows how to spend money. ↑↑↑:lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Now there's a guy who knows how to spend money. ↑↑↑:lol:

But... It's sooooo easy to spend when it's someone else's! :gizmo:

·
Administrator
17,090 Posts

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Every try to back one of those up?
it's no different than a hay wagon to back into a barn.:dunno:

True. I put some thought into this. I would opt for one of these for that reason -

View attachment 180906
instead of the wagon type, if i'm spending this much:gizmo: i would prefer a tandem axle design-why-well there's hardly any tongue weight with a tandem setup, so i wouldn't be afraid of loading the trailer unhooked. but i got another farm tractor to pull the trailer, 4-wheeler's, i just haven't found a machine that can do all, u know, load, haul, dump, etc, without having to walk back to garage for another peice of equipment, since there's only one of me. but; hey i happy lee do that if Newt, ever comes around to selling ME:nunu: his jd HPX model gater:lol: :laugh:

·
Administrator
17,090 Posts
100% correct, but that's no to easy if you have never done it before-it takes a lot of practice! Add in the shorter wheelbase and the obstacles in most yards and it can be downright hard.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts

instead of the wagon type, if i'm spending this much:gizmo: i would prefer a tandem axle design-why-well there's hardly any tongue weight with a tandem setup, so i wouldn't be afraid of loading the trailer unhooked. but i got another farm tractor to pull the trailer, 4-wheeler's, i just haven't found a machine that can do all, u know, load, haul, dump, etc, without having to walk back to garage for another peice of equipment, since there's only one of me. but; hey i happy lee do that if Newt, ever comes around to selling ME:nunu: his jd HPX model gater:lol: :laugh:
I never thought of loading a tandem axle trailer while unhooked. After thinking about it it really wouldn't be a problem as long as you loaded the front first.

Reminds me when I was an equipment instructor. We had a big tilt bed tandem dually trailer (which I hated). One student wanted to load a backhoe without it hooked to the truck. It's amazing what we had to deal with when jobs are filled politically.....

Back on topic - I really like these trailers (in link below). There is a bunch of stone along the creek at the upper end of my property which I would love to stockpile - all about 4"-6" in size. While it would still be a pain to unhook and hook for each load I have all the time in the world.

Wagons & Trailers

And a side-by-side UTV with a dump body - that would be perfect for me as I could use one just to get around my property as I can't walk much anymore. But hard for me to justify with only 6 acres especially with the cost involved. So I just continue to use my tractor - if only it was easier to mount/dismount......

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Every try to back one of those up?
it not that hard... you just have to act like no trailer is there- except there is a trailer. do you see what i mean? its hard to explain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts