Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My name's Grant - I live in the Qu'Appelle Valley near Southey, Saskatchewan. I've had the 1968 JD 3020 gas synchro shown in the video for about 12 years. She can be a pain in the butt to get running sometimes, but once she is running, she's a happy tractor. It has a completely rebuilt synchro transmission with virtually no miles on it, and a nice little FEL. I use it sparingly for yard work and moving the odd bale.

Right after this video, which was taken when I started her up for the 2019 spring season, I drove it around the yard a few times, pretty happy with myself for getting her running for another year. Parked it in the quonset, went to mow some grass, and noticed smoke coming out of the quonset. Wires had shorted and were white hot fried, wrecking the wiring harness and god knows what else. I pulled the wires off the battery to stop the smoking wires and thankfully nothing burned down. Haven't had time to take it apart and look at it, but dreading the costs of buying a new wiring harness and installing it, and not sure if anything else is damaged to boot. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Tips, suggestions to start?

The one thing I note with my tractor is that it is 12v negative ground, but it has the regulator - it hasn't been upgraded to an alternator. I have the reprinted service manual for it, but cannot find a wiring schematic that shows a negative ground for a gas. Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks for the add!

Grant

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
Grant,
:wgtt:

We need to either move and re-title your thread to the utility tractor sub forum, or you can start a new one there. You can always copy and paste it.

The reason I say this, is you won’t get many views and responses for technical questions here in the intro forum.

Nice tractor though. :good2: I’m sure you’ll get the wiring squared away. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,450 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
12,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,940 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio :wgtt:

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grant,

We need to either move and re-title your thread to the utility tractor sub forum, or you can start a new one there. You can always copy and paste it.

The reason I say this, is you won’t get many views and responses for technical questions here in the intro forum.

Nice tractor though. :good2: I’m sure you’ll get the wiring squared away. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks - did that!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Welcome from New York!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts