1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step one.

Brine the turkey overnight.

IMG_4308.JPG

We used a honey and vegetable broth brine in a cooler.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step two.

Get a fire started.

IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4309.jpg

Get your hickory wood in the fire if you're not already using just hickory for your fire. Get it up to temp (300*), put your turkey in and let 'er smoke!

IMG_4311.jpg IMG_4313.jpg

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step three.

After the first 1-2 hours, wrap your bird in aluminum foil and reduce the temp to 250*.

IMG_4314.jpg

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it turns out ok. It's kind of a science experiment. I'm using a recipe from Alton Brown from the Food Network. He's a great chef. We are modifying the recipe a bit by how it's being cooked, but his ingredients are always awesome.

Either way, it should be entertaining. I don't know who will get the most out of it though, you or me.:lol:

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step four.

Return every so often and check the grill temp. This is where you wear out your shoes walking back and forth. :laugh: Every 30 minutes or so I'll check the internal temp of the bird. I'm currently at the dreaded stall where the internal breast temp is at 160*. A few more degrees and it'll be done.:thumbup1gif:

IMG_4315.jpg

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Step four.

Return every so often and check the grill temp. This is where you wear out your shoes walking back and forth. :laugh: Every 30 minutes or so I'll check the internal temp of the bird. I'm currently at the dreaded stall where the internal breast temp is at 160*. A few more degrees and it'll be done.:thumbup1gif:

View attachment 35936
This'll save your shoes a little. Amazon.com : Maverick ET733 Long Range Wireless Digital Thermometer Set - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ / Smoker / Grill / Oven / Meat / Thermometer - Perfect for Thanksgiving Turkey - Monitor your Food From up to 300 feet away - NEWEST VERSION With a Larg

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step five.

Retrieve your bird from the grill, peel the skin, carve and enjoy. :fed:

IMG_4316.jpg IMG_4317.jpg IMG_4318.jpg IMG_0004.JPG

Yeah, it's not quite as pretty as your traditional oven baked turkey, but it was tender, juicy, and very tasty. :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Looks good from here!! :fed:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts