Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 35c mini excavator with about 5000 hours.
Any wear and tear items I should be concerned with?
What common things start to go with those hours?

Don't want any surprises.

Thanks all

·
Administrator
17,084 Posts
Pins, bushings, tracks (steel or rubber?), drive sprockets...

Those are the main wear items, some of them are VERY pricey to fix.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
With that many hours on it, I can envision all sorts of $$$$$$$$ things to watch out for. With the crappy economy, I suspect there are a lot of these things on the market; so don't buy the first one you see.

Do you have enough use for one versus renting when needed?

·
Administrator
17,084 Posts
Just another thought, but are you thinking of this for commercial use (like your username implies) or for personal use?

·
Registered
771 Posts
after the normal checks I would check the boom and bucket pins and their bosses for wear/slop, a sprung boom, chaffed hydraulic lines and signs of hydraulic fluid seeping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I figured wear on tracks, pins, bushings, etc.. as greasing is a neglected maintenance duty.
Will use for commercial use.

Have rented other brands of minis but have friends who have this model. I prefer it over the others.
Yes, I would have enough use if I owned.

Not being sold privately. Looks good from photos-paint is good and overall looks OK from what I can see.
Hours are just high.

Will keep looking for others.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks guys.

I figured wear on tracks, pins, bushings, etc.. as greasing is a neglected maintenance duty.
Will use for commercial use.

Have rented other brands of minis but have friends who have this model. I prefer it over the others.
Yes, I would have enough use if I owned.

Not being sold privately. Looks good from photos-paint is good and overall looks OK from what I can see.
Hours are just high.

Will keep looking for others.
Check with a few rental places, most keep their maintenance up and because of our slow economy they might like to loose their machine's payment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqDOrCZp2g

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Hours are just high.
I've heard that unscrupulous used equipment dealers will paint machines to make them look good and well cared for, when in reality they have been rode hard and put away wet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts