Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a John Deere D140 that I put a bagger on and was wondering if I leave the high lift blades on when I take the bagger off if I could still expect a good cut and decent mulching? My old blades were those mulching specific ones (gators?) with the cuts on the back side. I think I only want to run bagger once in the spring to pick up thatch and leaves and some in the fall when the leaves come down. Just want to make sure replacing the blades with the mulching specific ones are required or not before I go ahead and remove the bagger for the summer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a X590 with a 48" deck and I switched to the Gator G-5 blades, but I side discharge. I gave up on mulching because the underside of my deck will load up after every mow and I have to scrape it each time. I love the concept to mulching but Cannot mow my 1-acre every 3-days. My lawn looks just fine and I see no difference in the cut from the standard JD mulching blade.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I run the G5's all year around. I run the discharge open in the spring and summer, and bag in the fall. Works great. However with all blades, keep them sharp for the best performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've side discharge mowed many times with the high lift blades and bagger removed. Does a great job spreading/fanning out the clippings. The only downside for me was the larger dust cloud it stirred up in dry conditons. But that might be our property, we have thin grass in some areas.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I've side discharge mowed many times with the high lift blades and bagger removed. Does a great job spreading/fanning out the clippings. The only downside for me was the larger dust cloud it stirred up in dry conditons. But that might be our property, we have thin grass in some areas.
Exactly my experience

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My neighbor has the gator blades on his D110 and bags and side discharges no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.