Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
its simply amazing how they forget that snow on the roads is slippery!!! Or were they too busy reading their newspapers or texting to their bosses that they might be a little late because the car in front is going too slow!!! yea I guess that is entertainment.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,409 Posts
Why not just get out of your car and walk around in front of oncoming traffic!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just get out of your car and walk around in front of oncoming traffic!
Some did. They were on the other side of the highway. And this is Wisconsin. Last I checked, they are familiar with snow. You would think this was a freak storm in Florida or something where this would all be new to the drivers.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Was there a naked stripper standing just out of frame? I mean what the hell where all these people looking at? Some must have been really late for work, as a seen a few that looked like they thought they could make it through if they sped up.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,409 Posts
I think the people in the road caused some of the pile up.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Did anyone notice that the Professional drivers, AKA the Bob-Tailed Tractors, and the Semi, got out unscathed? They truly are 'Pros'......... Crazy speed by some of those folks!!! ~Scotty~

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes I did noticed that Scotty, all the professional truckers were not bouncing off the cars or the guard-rails. Hmmm??? wonder why is that? Could it be that they sit higher and can see farther ahead??? You'd think that the left side of the camera's view was like sunny Florida and the snow just magically appeared out of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Agree your state should be aware ,on how to drive in winter conditions we see this everyday in this area. Notice in video , how some were flying very low. Others were driving at a safer speed. Car manufacturers help on selling SUV or AWD and advertise these vehicles will do just about anything because they are made with AWD, Traction control, stability control. The nut behind the wheel has to keep their car under control, but you and I know this doesn't always happen.
Then the tire companies say all you need are All Season Tires , why are they still making WINTER TIRES. Think there is a reason for still making winter tires, I bet to use during the summer seasons.!!!
No wonder we see all the wrecks, as someone else said , they are texting (illegal in WV, MD & PA) , talking on Phone also illegal reading emails , and anything else to keep your mind off driving.
Then to get out of your car walking back to check on others....were hurt . Some of them didn't even try to move or walk over to the side of the road...just not thinking..
Yea the Professional drivers knew what to do . Guess I was one of those drove close to 700,000 miles in Company vehicles over the years and close to same amount in personal vehicles. Thankfully never had a wreck, Couple of minor fender benders , one my fault and the other someone pulled into the side of me, oh and a deer ran into the front of my car. Either been a safe driver or a very lucky one.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
That was south of me. The road was glare ice, wasn't just snow. Even in WI people are stupid when it comes to winter driving.

We have a lot of drivers that think they can do 70mph and weave in out of traffic when the roads are slick.:laugh: Unfortunately when they loose control they take a number of other cars with them.:nunu:

You can go 50 - 60 MPH on snowy roads. You just cant make any quick moves or your going to loose control. Going this fast in heavy traffic isn't going to work either. Some people just have to learn this the hard way.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Agree your state should be aware ,on how to drive in winter conditions we see this everyday in this area. Notice in video , how some were flying very low. Others were driving at a safer speed. Car manufacturers help on selling SUV or AWD and advertise these vehicles will do just about anything because they are made with AWD, Traction control, stability control. The nut behind the wheel has to keep their car under control, but you and I know this doesn't always happen.
Then the tire companies say all you need are All Season Tires , why are they still making WINTER TIRES. Think there is a reason for still making winter tires, I bet to use during the summer seasons.!!!
No wonder we see all the wrecks, as someone else said , they are texting (illegal in WV, MD & PA) , talking on Phone also illegal reading emails , and anything else to keep your mind off driving.
Then to get out of your car walking back to check on others....were hurt . Some of them didn't even try to move or walk over to the side of the road...just not thinking..
Yea the Professional drivers knew what to do . Guess I was one of those drove close to 700,000 miles in Company vehicles over the years and close to same amount in personal vehicles. Thankfully never had a wreck, Couple of minor fender benders , one my fault and the other someone pulled into the side of me, oh and a deer ran into the front of my car. Either been a safe driver or a very lucky one.
All wheel drive doesn't mean all wheel stop.

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
All wheel drive doesn't mean all wheel stop.
Agreed ,but that is what they think, I have AWD and I can do anything, go, & stop as quick on wet road as they do on dry roads.
Look at most accidents , awd vehicles in ditch on on it top, or on its side..

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am with you! I is ridiculous to put the M& S Symbol on those all season tires. It makes many people believe they are ready for winter condition. There is nothing short of spiked tires that replaces real winter tires. I came back from California a few days ago, and had the all season tires still on. What a crap of driving (and I drive a brand new Subaru Outback, the car that, according to the advertising, can go through anything and everything). I have now my real winter tires on, boy, what a difference in driving and road manners on the snowy street around here!

Texting and reading email is also illegal in Wisconsin, but the cops go rather after the people who drive two miles faster than the limit. They seem not to bother with the texters!

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Back when all season tires first came on the market , one of my coworkers lived up a very steep hill. Her husband had to come and get her just about every evening. (Dirt road and them and mail mail was only one using the road) ._
One evening her, another coworker and myself was leaving the parking lot where they worked. since it had snowed some that day . Roger tells her to go first and then we would follow, both had Caravans , she tried 3 or 4 times Roger even tried her van a couple of times, no luck. Roger gets in his van , had winter tires on , no studs, his van spun a little but went right up the ramp. After getting a lot of rocksalt plus some small bags of gravel we got her van up on main road. Next morning seen Judys van at the tire shop , her husband had to come and get her one evening the rest of the winter.
Our daughters have driven to Morgantown going to WVU and then work. Always a Fwd car, and always winter tires. Have never had to get them because of being hung up or in a ditch. Winter tires makes a difference, look at the data on stopping distance with winter tires versus All season, on snow covered roads.
Agree studded tires help that much more.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a old Saturn sedan with a standard transmission. I prefer that in the snow than an automatic. If the wheels start to spin, I just shift in a higher gear. Plus I get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That video was me on Sunday. I was down by York PA on route 30 and in about 15 minutes the road went from a little blowing snow flurries to the scenes like in that video. Some lady in a Volvo tapped the rear bumper on my F350, but nothing happened to me. I made sure she was okay, told her I had nothing to claim, and then got the heck out of there. 2 hours later when I was heading back home all the people with summer tires had already slid off the road, so the trip home was uneventful.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
That video was me on Sunday. I was down by York PA on route 30 and in about 15 minutes the road went from a little blowing snow flurries to the scenes like in that video. Some lady in a Volvo tapped the rear bumper on my F350, but nothing happened to me. I made sure she was okay, told her I had nothing to claim, and then got the heck out of there. 2 hours later when I was heading back home all the people with summer tires had already slid off the road, so the trip home was uneventful.
Andy, I've never had an uneventful trip on Route 30. Those people are crazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts