Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a River Birch clump behind the shed that one trunk was leaning towards the shed too much, so I hired a tree trimmer to put it on the ground for me. His ladder was 40', they roped the limbs from another trunk to the right. Took him & his wife a couple of hours to take it down. Now I'll cut the bigger stuff up & chip the smaller limbs for mulch. ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Hiring that one out was a smart thing to do. It had a pretty good lean that could've caused some damage had it fell.:thumbup1gif:

·
Corndog Hater
11,287 Posts
I agree, smart to hire the experts with it that close to the house. We like to do as much ourselves as possible, but sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day and/or better safe than sorry.:good2:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trunk on the far left is leaning worse, but it's only over open yard. I'll cut it myself when the time comes!

The one today was just too big of a job for me to do by myself, by being over the shed. ~~ Lowell

·
Banned
747 Posts
Been knocking down trres since I was 16, and I'm 58 now. Got a hemlock in front, two spruce off to the side. All have leans, either towards the house, or power lines. the Hemolock is also disessed, the woodpeckers were at it. I'm good, but not that good. Got a climber coming to knock 'em down. Tis a no-brainer at $100 per tree.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been knocking down trres since I was 16, and I'm 58 now. Got a hemlock in front, two spruce off to the side. All have leans, either towards the house, or power lines. the Hemolock is also disessed, the woodpeckers were at it. I'm good, but not that good. Got a climber coming to knock 'em down. Tis a no-brainer at $100 per tree.
That's pretty much my situation! I can (usually) drop trees where I want them, but this was just too risky. It would have had to be pulled away from the shed with a tractor. Some jobs are best left to the pros!!!

When we bought this house, there were 40'+ White pines at the front corners, 5' from the corner of the house to the center of the stumps. I roped them with the 520 I had then with an experienced driver (Dad), no brig problem! But they weren't leaning, just too close. I also took down a Pecan that was splitting last Spring 25' west of the house, two limbs were ging to fall into the yard anyway, the third had to be cabled away from another tree. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent an hour and a half chipping the tops today. I'll use them for mulch around trees & shrubs.
What was too big to run through the chipper will get cut up for firewood (tomorrow's job). ~~ Lowell

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts