Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang, here is a new one for ya. I am currently looking at hitch lifts for my truck and would like your input on these devices. I am seriously looking at this one Pit Bull Hitch Lifts. I would like any and all input on any lifts you may have knowledge of. I was originally thinking of adding a permanent tailgate lift but ran across these receiver hitch lifts. What is really nice about them is that they are not permanent and they can lift up to 1500 lbs. Oh, all for less then $2000. My problem has always been the loading of the truck away from my shop. I have all the equipment to unload stuff once I am home. I am really liking this option. So, lets hear your thoughts.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Subscribe...:munch:

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
My problem has always been the loading of the truck away from my shop. I have all the equipment to unload stuff once I am home.
Randy,

How often do you have to load your pick-up away from your shop? Seems like a lot of hardware to be hauling around if you don't need it frequently. Also, seems like these power liftgates tend to require periodic maintenance due to corrosion with hydraulic motor connections, switches and relays.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy,

How often do you have to load your pick-up away from your shop? Seems like a lot of hardware to be hauling around if you don't need it frequently. Also, seems like these power liftgates tend to require periodic maintenance due to corrosion with hydraulic motor connections, switches and relays.
If you haven't noticed, I am a big Craig's list buyer (see attached pic for my latest purchase). Fortunately, this seller had some able bodied help on his end. I may need to haul that three point hitch attachment home. :mocking: But, I think you are missing the point on this one, it is a receiver hitch mounted lift. You attach it when you need it. It's exposure to the elements are going to be extremely rare. I am just not seeing the concerns you are.

00r0r_cTAk81rPo8i_600x450.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Hitched mounted? Yeah I missed that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
It's basically a 12 volt winch that uses a strap to lift and lower the linkage. No hydraulic system to mess with, winch contacts are built for that sort of load, and they solved the stability question I had. I was concerned about the 2" receiver mount twisting with a load that was heavy on one side, but it looks like there are brackets that go underneath the bumper that help stabilize it.

Looks like a pretty handy piece of equipment. :thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
For something I didn't know existed it sure looks like it does the job and looks cool. Like the way it hooks up...and with remote. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
New one on me

That's a new one for me. Everyone that I've seen in this area uses a Tommylift but those are permanent mounts and hydraulic plus they are fairly heavy. This one is lighter, removable and might be better for the occasional use where you want a regular truck most of the time.

Very cool piece of equipment. I'm starting to think about adding one to the side of my equipment trailer!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
Pretty neat device.

I have this problem also - whenever I buy something large I have to make sure that the seller can load it for me as I can't even help. In the past however I would just bring my trailer with the ramp - can usually push just about anything up on that.

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
That's slick Randy. I, too, had no idea that something like that was available. I've seen the permanent mounted lifts around for years, but never a portable for a pickup.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I had one of these a few years ago from Harbor Freight but a search now indicates they no longer sell it. It was Chinese of course but worth the money at $250. I let it go with the truck when I sold it.

Here's an old youtube video that shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWvZgBlvBds

Northern Tool does sell this now, altho at twice the price HF had. Different brand but it's the same as the HF unit I had.

Larin Tailgate Lift — 500-Lb. Capacity | Lift Gates Dump Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
At least the Larin lets you keep the truck's tailgate on. That was my big gripe with the PB after looking over their website.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least the Larin lets you keep the truck's tailgate on. That was my big gripe with the PB after looking over their website.
I don't think the Larin has the 1500 lbs lift capacity the PB does?

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't come close.

I know you have the brains and tools to make your own; but I suspect you're looking for an off-the-shelf item so as not to distract you from more interesting projects.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately it doesn't come close.

I know you have the brains and tools to make your own; but I suspect you're looking for an off-the-shelf item so as not to distract you from more interesting projects.
You are correct OH great wise one. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The aspect that raises questions for me is the lift capacity. While the lift itself may be capable of lifting 1200-1500 lbs, can your truck handle that kind of "tongue weight"? I realize that this is NOT intended to carry weight when the vehicle is in motion, so the concepts that would apply for towing are not in play here. Still, will the hitch hold that much weight, and is the front of the truck heavy enough to not get lifted in the air with a full load on the lift?

I personally wouldn't use it because my tailgate has lift/lower assist and a rear vision camera - both make it a little trickier to remove and install the gate (we won't mention the fact that I almost never need to pick up anything that heavy that I'm not buying from a place that can put it into the bed for me). And, while removing the gate is inconvenient, there's no way you could have that lift capacity with the tailgate still on. A) The gate itself can't carry that kind of weight (and you have to move the load across the gate) and B) the extension out from the truck would make that 1500 lbs seem more like 2500-3000 lbs on the hitch because of the additional leverage it would have positioned 30" further back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts