Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a 2" hitch mounted ripper to tear out all of the roots around older, smaller tree stump to assist in removal? I could attach it to the Heavy Hitch on my three point hitch or on the front fork frame attached to the FEL arms. Mounted up front I bet I could get pretty deep into the sandy soil I have. I know it wouldn't get all of the roots but I bet it would tear out a good number of them by "curling them upwards" with the ripper.

I may just have to experiment with that a little...

·
Registered
619 Posts
If it has a shear pin, get extras.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
It doesn’t take a big root to stop a small backhoe.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
619 Posts
Onceb, do you have forks?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
it works let us know I have a lot of stumps to pull up this spring :thumbup1gif: I was going to use the artillian front hoe bucket and my kens hooks to get them out I just need to get to kens and get some of the oblong straps and accessories I saw this one while looking at them https://omni-mfg.com/3-Shank-Scarifier-P766282.aspx looks like they make a lot of cool stuff

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I run a 2038R with loaded tires and a loader. This brings me to about 3500 pounds. With my subsoiler hook, a root brings me to a stop. I can move pretty big rocks, but not roots. They are stronger than you think. I can sometimes get the smaller ones up enough to cut with a saw. But usually, I hook them and then my tractor starts spinning. Now, what has worked better for me is a chain. Why, I don’t know. I have several of Ken’s slip and grab hooks. If I can get my chain around one of the usually three or four off branches of the root, I can one by one break them or pull them. Then I chain the main root and pull it out. This is all with the chain hooked to the drawbar.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Has anyone ever used a 2" hitch mounted ripper to tear out all of the roots around older, smaller tree stump to assist in removal? I could attach it to the Heavy Hitch on my three point hitch or on the front fork frame attached to the FEL arms. Mounted up front I bet I could get pretty deep into the sandy soil I have. I know it wouldn't get all of the roots but I bet it would tear out a good number of them by "curling them upwards" with the ripper.

I may just have to experiment with that a little...
I think I did something like what you are considering. Take a look at http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/88953-quick-easy-subsoiler.html. You may want to reconfigure it with some kind of cutter on it, it will stop a 1025 in it's tracks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had a lot of luck with my tooth bar when trying to remove roots and stumps. There have been some that have been a bear, but I can usually get out a bit further to start working it up and then work closer to the stump.

I've had several stumps that I spent hours on trying to get removed, mainly because of the roots before I got it. Now similar stumps I'm getting out in 30 minutes.

I got the Heavy Hitch bar. I looked at some others, but the teeth on it looked a bit more useful for the jobs I'm looking to get done.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've had a lot of luck with my tooth bar when trying to remove roots and stumps. There have been some that have been a bear, but I can usually get out a bit further to start working it up and then work closer to the stump.

I've had several stumps that I spent hours on trying to get removed, mainly because of the roots before I got it. Now similar stumps I'm getting out in 30 minutes.

I got the Heavy Hitch bar. I looked at some others, but the teeth on it looked a bit more useful for the jobs I'm looking to get done.
Same for me. Toothbar works better than ripper for me for root removal

Ripper Vs. Toothbar. Which works best for THIS Project?https://youtu.be/SQRtr30w97c

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts