Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. The last two times I've mowed, the left hook that grabs the front bar of the mower has been hitting the gearbox and skewing the deck as I drive over. I checked tire pressures, and I'm attaching it in the same place. It connects fine once I get past the gearbox. Nothing looks bent or out of place. Any ideas??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Hey yall. The last two times I've mowed, the left hook that grabs the front bar of the mower has been hitting the gearbox and skewing the deck as I drive over. I checked tire pressures, and I'm attaching it in the same place. It connects fine once I get past the gearbox. Nothing looks bent or out of place. Any ideas??

Pictures will help. It is hard to determine exactly what isn't correct without pictures. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a similar problem turned out the deck was raising slightly when I drove on. I've found that it has to be almost level and firm ground not soggy. Don't get me wrong I was not trying to attach on a hill but there was a small dip and the gearbox was catching the front loader mount.

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well of course it was fine this time. It's like when your dog learns a trick but won't perform when someone is watching.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I was popping the gauge wheel pins out. I was moved forward about a foot from where I attached earlier. No visible difference in the ground, but apparently it was enough

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I also have a "finicky 54" and I'm slowly closing in on faultless:)laugh:) repeatable connection. The 54 is lighter AND has a slightly narrower "path" for the wheels over the deck than the 60. I HAVE to keep my left front wheel totally in contact with the bar alongside the deck plate. Once I figured out that the deck will spin on concrete/blacktop I cured that by blocking up the space under the front of the deck rolled edge out by the corners, that left the same problem the OP's having.

Keep that left tire scuffing straight right along the guide bar coming off or on the tractor. If the tire is touching it at all times it leaves room for the mower gearbox to clear the front mower hook on the frame. 54 owners will also notice R4 tires have precious little space between the guide wheel pivots going on/off the deck. Ya got's ta watch the steering on both sides!:laugh:

(AND.... Unless you've set up the deck lift with Kenny's Sticky above, I am not responsible for incorrect results!:laugh:)

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yeah, but that won't help much when the brackets for the draft arms are hitting the mower deck...
Correct! If one backs off a properly connected deck to just before going down off it and:

"Park machine safely, apply parking brake, stop engine."

Then observe the alignment of the gearbox and front hook from the front of the machine it becomes obvious that there is a narrow path for passing the frame hook past the gearbox. That is the only route one can go without catching it going onto or off the deck. Rubbing the L front wheel along that "guide bar" when going on or off will assure that the hook will miss the gearbox (IF the deck remains motionless!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts